Tell me about the 5.6L engines

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Re: Tell me about the 5.6L engines

Post by steelcityslicker »

Bow_Tied wrote:Sux that you're working. I still have the emblem letters for you.

I'll be all over the GtA looking at rigs. But not just pathys. They're quite rare so I can't limit. GMs gmt360 platform has several V8 options so those are on the table and is more likely what I'll end up with.

The armada is cool but just too big for the mrs.

Sent from my shoe phone.
And I still have a Plymouth in need of those letters!

I don't know what that GM platform is but ill assume it's the mid size suvs? At least take an Armada out for a spin. I bet your wife won't find it that bad at all.

We'll have to figure out another meet up day/time. And you should really be more considerate of my work schedule Ron I mean you could have kept track of it for the last 4 years.....
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

If you're willing to import one from the USA you have a lot more selection, but I don't think you'll really save any money.

In the USA, the v8 came in the LE and the SE, and it was available from 2008-2012

In Canada, it was only the 2008 LE trim, making it a bit rare in Canada.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

steelcityslicker wrote:
And I still have a Plymouth in need of those letters!

I don't know what that GM platform is but ill assume it's the mid size suvs? At least take an Armada out for a spin. I bet your wife won't find it that bad at all.

We'll have to figure out another meet up day/time. And you should really be more considerate of my work schedule Ron I mean you could have kept track of it for the last 4 years.....

Ya, I am pretty much a dick like that not tracking your work schedule over 4 years. That's how I roll. If you want to pm me your cell I can text you when I roll through - maybe I match a coffee break you get or something. Up to you.

General Motor's GMT360 platform is the Saab 9-7x, GMC Envoy, Chev Trailblazer, and Buick Rainier, (and Isuzu Ascender, though I have never seen one, they may not be NA released). All have optional 5.3L GM LS V8s. These engines are popular and have DOD (discplacement on demenad that drops the engine to 4cyl mode on the highway) to help with fuel economy having it essentially match the inline 6 cyl 4.2L so these are near the top of the list. The Trailblazer and Saab also have an optional 6.0L which are harder to find. I am not hotly impressed with GM quality of the period, but it still feels better to me than a Ford Exploder or Dodge Durangedo.

Another issue with the Armada (and most full size) beyond my wife's disdain for the size is the budget. I'd like soemthing with ~100k km $15k and I am likley going to have to up that ante for the mid sized I mentioned - the full size are beyond that again in price. The 4Runner with the smaller 4.7L V8 are also in this catageory. Unfortunately I don't make big city Hamilton wages so I gotta make do. :P:
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
steelcityslicker

Bow_Tied wrote:
Ya, I am pretty much a dick like that not tracking your work schedule over 4 years. That's how I roll. If you want to pm me your cell I can text you when I roll through - maybe I match a coffee break you get or something. Up to you.

General Motor's GMT360 platform is the Saab 9-7x, GMC Envoy, Chev Trailblazer, and Buick Rainier, (and Isuzu Ascender, though I have never seen one, they may not be NA released). All have optional 5.3L GM LS V8s. These engines are popular and have DOD (discplacement on demenad that drops the engine to 4cyl mode on the highway) to help with fuel economy having it essentially match the inline 6 cyl 4.2L so these are near the top of the list. The Trailblazer and Saab also have an optional 6.0L which are harder to find. I am not hotly impressed with GM quality of the period, but it still feels better to me than a Ford Exploder or Dodge Durangedo.

Another issue with the Armada (and most full size) beyond my wife's disdain for the size is the budget. I'd like soemthing with ~100k km $15k and I am likley going to have to up that ante for the mid sized I mentioned - the full size are beyond that again in price. The 4Runner with the smaller 4.7L V8 are also in this catageory. Unfortunately I don't make big city Hamilton wages so I gotta make do. :P:
I like those choices you mentioned as well. I think the early generations of the Chevy/gmc line suffered reliability issues but they are good now. Isn't the 6.0L the ss model? I actually considered the trailblazer myself but the wife wanted a jk so we are now the owners of a used 4dr jk with a 6spd.

Big City money? Hahahahahaha have been through this town lately? :crazy:

I'll pm my cell # for sure.
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

The 6.0L SS is a rip but I wouldn't want to own one. Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is a fun one too. However I don't think either were intended to tow anything.

I liked the Buick Enclave, but I don't believe its meant to tow that much either.

The XC90 was available with a Yamaha V8. The engine is awesome but was mated to a GM 4-speed automatic that self destructs in that application. DO NOT BUY THE XC90 WITH A V8.

4Runner with the 4.7l V8 would be sweet.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

The 6.0L in the TBSS or Saab 9-7 Aero is rated at only 6700lbs, well below the engines capability. The rating more reflects the suspension which has tuned for handling. My study of forums for the TBSS show guys routinely tow things in the 5-6k range, some do more but it isn't recommended. This is only a marginal increase over an envoy Denali with a 5.3. I agree, a really big trailer would be better with an Armada which if I recall correctly is 9100 lb rated. Or similar.

The older SRT8s I'm told have very low tow ratings. I wouldn't afford a newer one.

An ss or Areo is on my list as I think it'll fit my towing needs. What else if anything do you dislike? I'm aware they have their issues. All rigs do.

Wish I could afford a ML350 diesel. Lol

Sent from my shoe phone.
#MoreRon

steelcityslicker

I have went through the very same dilemma several times. The balance between passenger room, reliability, cost, fuel consumption and the most important "cool factor". If I could have a left hand, diesel, 80 series Land Cruiser with the jump seats I would take that. But I really wish the older 6.5L Suburban was a better vehicle in fuel use and now reliability due to their age.

Ron maybe you'll sign up for a diesel Titan when they come out?
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

The choices would be broader if I wasn't trying to cover sosny bases: replacement dd for my wife, upgraded tow capacity, and family truckster. Personally I'd love a turbo deisel safari but I don't think they will tow what I'd like with the road manners I'd want. I don't have the time to screw around importing something. I figure 6-12 months by the time I found what I want and won it. But that aside I can't ask my wife to dd a rhd diesel when neither of us have any exposure to it. Plus it gets hard to justify north if $20k for something 15+ years old. If it were for my dd I'd have to consider a Yukon.

Sent from my shoe phone.
#MoreRon

steelcityslicker

I totally hear ya. There is no perfect vehicle unless you've got huge bucks to get it.

The Yukon is a beautiful truck for sure but I don't like how they are stolen all the time.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Agreed. The TrailBlazer SS's are also on the stolen list. My plan would include a higher end aftermarket alarm system.
#MoreRon

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Sorry I didn't get see ya today, Dave, ended up not going that direction - two of the vehicles I wanted to see where sold/seller unavailable; maybe see you at the Christmas party?

Looked at a couple of Saab 97x - very nice interiors. Didn't find one that suited me tho.
#MoreRon

steelcityslicker

Bow_Tied wrote:Sorry I didn't get see ya today, Dave, ended up not going that direction - two of the vehicles I wanted to see where sold/seller unavailable; maybe see you at the Christmas party?

Looked at a couple of Saab 97x - very nice interiors. Didn't find one that suited me tho.
No worries man we were hopping all weekend.

Too bad you didn't find the right vehicle. I'm sure something will come up. I've never noticed the Saab suv before. What kind of lifts are available for them? ;)
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Do the yukons still come with a diesel? I saw a two-dorr version years ago and thought they would be great for towing. Shorter wheel base than the 4-door. I did not see many of them out there. Of course I wise up and bought a Nissan :D

Truth be told though the dodge eco-diesel sound enticing for mileage with a full size truck :o Better mileage than my legacy :o
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
steelcityslicker

Snafu wrote:Do the yukons still come with a diesel? I saw a two-dorr version years ago and thought they would be great for towing. Shorter wheel base than the 4-door. I did not see many of them out there. Of course I wise up and bought a Nissan :D

Truth be told though the dodge eco-diesel sound enticing for mileage with a full size truck :o Better mileage than my legacy :o
The two door Yukon is a cool looking truck. Saw a few very nice ones in Myrtle Beach. When done right they remind me of the old full size blazers.

I'd love to have a new 1500 Ram diesel. A neighbour of mine was saying he is getting 1000-1200km a tank all hwy. Not too shabby for a full size 4dr, 4wd drive truck.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Lifts for the Saab? Ahahahaha!

Yukons are nice. Too big for my wife as noted. I don't think they've made a 2 door since the late 90s?

Sent from my shoe phone.
#MoreRon

CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

what are you towing with it Ron? and what's your budget? seems like a range of options from a saab to a 4 runner to a yukon.

see man, if you had started the search 2 years ago, the safari would be in your driveway by now....haha.

what's wrong with this one for 12G's and built and ready to rock?!

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/sale-can ... etc-90001/

just gotta pick it up in BC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5Cwbo_i-c
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

CruiserRomey wrote:what are you towing with it Ron? and what's your budget? seems like a range of options from a saab to a 4 runner to a yukon.

see man, if you had started the search 2 years ago, the safari would be in your driveway by now....haha.

what's wrong with this one for 12G's and built and ready to rock?!

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/sale-can ... etc-90001/

just gotta pick it up in BC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5Cwbo_i-c
The problem is that the vehicle is NOT for me, it is for my wife. If our family already had exposure to RHD or diesel via my vehicle, then perhaps? my wife could get into one. But I can't ask her to be the first of us, besides I'd be jealous. :teeth:

As noted I want to tow a travel trailer ~5000 GVWR *comfortably* on the freeway. This means that @75% I want a tow rated rig at ~6500lbs. I think a 4.2 safari would need to be turbo if it is going to do that. And from what I read, I had better not be in a hurry.

All that aside, no matter if it is in Japan or BC I do not have the project time to spend on this. Other people must dwell on some higher plane of existence than me to be able to manage multi month projects to obtain a aged, RHD diesel, from other areas of the planet, sight unseen, in a reasonable budget, that is in good condition, and getting transport arranged, import docs/out of province inspection by crappy tire, while attempting to hold a full time job and managing two yard apes in school/day care and NOT get royally screwed over or divorced. That is what other people do. Me, I go to a local dealership and have to FIGHT to even get to LOOK at a vehicle that is already ON the lot. Shopping for a car when you need one is a dreadful experience that consumes days when I am shopping inside the province. /rant LOL

As much as I'd love a safari to be a cool off-roader, I can't justify it for a daily driver for me or my wife, at least not now. There are simply better choices for our needs.
#MoreRon

CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

gosh, that's some good daddy blues, lol. I hear ya man. you know me, always buggin people to get jdm diesels, lol. guess I was lucky I was able to get one before the marriage, and even luckier that I was able to convince the wife on a jdm diesel minivan which she absolutely loves. only took her 2 weeks to get used to the land cruiser. they're not that hard to obtain, but that's just me (on my 3rd diesel jdm and goin on almost 10 years of rhd ownership). but yeah, just needs some research time.

missed the part about the wife dd duties. too bad some of the cool options with diesels are probably just way too big like suburbans, lol. and too bad the 89 to 92 dodge cummins don't come in a 4 door truck! it would almost make sense, if it was financially possible, to have a 4 banger gas meiser as a daily driver/kid hauler and have a tow rig on the side for what, less than a dozen pulls in a season?

so are you close to jumping on a v8 pathy? g'luck on the hunt Ron.
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

What about a Jeep. If you go newer you can get the same EcoDiesel as the RAM, it was launched in the Grand Cherokee a year earlier. If you stay in the 2008-2009 range the 3.0l Benz diesel looks stout enough with 215hp and 376ft-lbs and a tow rating of 7,400lbs.

Basic Info
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-chero ... -test.html

Article
http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehi ... road-test/

One in London to take a look at.
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Jeep/Grand+ ... =12_100_19
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

The two door Yukon is a cool looking truck. Saw a few very nice ones in Myrtle Beach. When done right they remind me of the old full size blazers. [/quote]
Definitely one of the few chebbies I do like :o
steelcityslicker wrote:I'd love to have a new 1500 Ram diesel. A neighbour of mine was saying he is getting 1000-1200km a tank all hwy. Not too shabby for a full size 4dr, 4wd drive truck.
Now that's what I am talking about....Sweet! We shall see what happens in the longer term reviews when I start looking for a used one.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.