As we move into winter...

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

As we move into winter...

Post by Scotto »

I was thinking we could post up some stories from the past year to keep the forum alive and well. We all have a story - whether it be 25 year old KD at a camp, or something stupid from AW.

SO: here's your chance to tell a story. Make fun of yourself for something stupid, or (in good humour) tell a story about a club member who fell into shame.

Post away! Pics are always helpful.

Sent from my iThingy.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Re: As we move into winter...

Post by Snafu »

Well the list of stupid things can be endless...

My first off-roading experience was with my Dad's pickup on a country road marked as 'not a through road'. The gravel road started well enough then become muddier and muddier then it became two water-filled ruts. I kept the momentum going and was doing well until a submerged log lifted the front end off the ground. Luckily it was just hung up on the K-member.

No recovery gear at all. I climbed out knee deep (in the rut) and used the jack to lift the truck then pushed the truck off the jack away from the log. I did this repeatedly until I could get the log out of the way.

Even with the log out of the way, the truck would not move forward or back. I trudged my way through the muck and mire out to the good road and hailed a tractor to pull me the rest of the way. No damage to the truck. Just a lot of mud that took me a while to clean up.

My Dad was fine with the mud and laughed at my state of mess. He did pay me back in spades years later (another story).
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

So this one time, at Band Camp...

Seriously though, good idea Scott, I like this idea. Kind of a fireside chat with friends, without being by the fire.

:thumbup:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Just set the waste can on fire and enjoy :o

Okay, who is next or should we just ridicule them publicly?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Some ambiance as Snafu suggested: Image
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

That reminds me of another story but I await at least a few more stories from others :D
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

We have a thread on NPORA called "Self Depreciation Alley" where I've posted a couple of gems over the years. Here's one from 2006.....
Entitled: Don't weld sh!t wearing fleece

So, I got a welder a few weeks back, and of course, the thought of melting 2 pieces of metal together is the COOLEST things I can think of, so I have to try it on everything. Anyhow, I had the old frame rust issue, so I welded some plate in there, and all was well.

I'd been having some issues with my exhaust being a little loose, so I looked at the welder, and thought... "Hmm.....why not?" SO I crawl under the truck, and look at one of the loose joints. Brace it up with the jack, and start tacking. Remove the jack....all is good....exhaust is now hanging properly. Alright, time to weld the joint tight. Anyways, I'm not wearing LONG gloves......and I'm welding overhead.......and I start to smell something that doesn't just smell like metal......so I stop, remove welding goggles.....to find my sleeve on fire. Of course, I'm under the truck.....so movement is limited......so I pat the fire out on a crossmember, look at the hole in my jacket, and feel pain on my arm beneath, and figure it's not too bad......and go back to work.

IF that wasn't bad enough.....I'm now being VERY careful about my arms....keeping them far enough away from falling sparks and such.

Only problem is that as I'm welding, a small piece of metal falls off right where I was welding......onto my pants in an....um.....sensitive area.....and promptly burns through my pants, underwear, and is now sitting about an inch away from my manhood, burning into my skin. Now, I'm still under the truck, so putting out a fire in my crotch is NOT easy....and I'm beating the hell out of myself trying to stop the &^%*@$# fire in my pants!!! NOT fun....and it left an interesting little scar....just glad it wasn't an inch or so to the left!!!
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

^I love it!
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

The latest joke my daughter likes to tell:

Why is 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9!
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner