VDC how nice it was to have you

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

VDC how nice it was to have you

Post by Snafu »

Driving to town and saw a chance for some fun with a snow drift. Driving a little too fast and started to get sucked in. Countered steered to get out and found some ice. Going sideways down the road at 80 when the VDC kicked in and saved my butt. Continued on my journey. That was close.

Must have scared the snot out of the outback that was tailing me. They stayed back a few hundred feet from then on...lol
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Morpheus
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: VDC how nice it was to have you

Post by Morpheus »

Works well.. Applies the brakes to only the one side to counteract a spin out.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Last winter I did spin out because VDC (and every other electronic nanny) was out of commision because of a failing wheel bearing. The ABS sensor couldn't get its count so I wasn't allowed to engage 4wd, didn't have ABS, didn't have @&*% all !

I'm sure they design vehicles these days knowing that the computer will compensate for (insert design flaw here). It was quite scary driving around in such a vehicle.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I'm sure I will get flack for saying this but...Sure all this tech is great, but when it fails ^ like Xtrapol8 had happen, you are dependent on it. And then when it isn't there, you end up in a crappy situation. The only traction aids I have ever had were ABS and good tires, and I never have any issues. What is more scary is that all the new drivers these days are learning on these cars, what happens if they have to drive an older car/truck. They're in for a big surprise.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Agreed. It is sad that a large number of drivers have no clue what it was like to drive without these features or what to do when they fail.

I never rely on them and was surprised when it kicked in (and glad that it did after my dumb move).
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Snafu wrote:Agreed. It is sad that a large number of drivers have no clue what it was like to drive without these features or what to do when they fail.

I never rely on them and was surprised when it kicked in (and glad that it did after my dumb move).
The Cherokee is the first vehicle that I have owned that has all of these features, and although I appreciate them, I find they hamper my "hoonage" at times... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoonage

There are times when I WANT to get sideways, and the Jeep complains a LOT when I'm in that mood. It does a surprisingly good job of getting me back to going straight again.

At least I know that I can turn them off, at least partially.

I learned to drive on vehicles that didn't have the nannies taking care of you, but with a young one that will be asking me for the keys next year, I can say that I appreciate that they are there. He'll learn to drive with them off as much I can help it, but it's comforting to know that they are there to protect him at least a bit.

Because lets face it, boys WILL be boys...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Girls will be girls too. My youngest sister's stay in ICU is proof of that ;)

Definitely worth learning to drive without the features or even FWD or AWD is best. Of course ending up in the ditch in a winter storm is probably the best teacher (I learned that lesson a couple of times)
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Last night I watched an Awd audi try to do donuts and slides in a parking lot. I'm pretty sure I showed him up with a quick stab of the throttle :D

I like my rwd so much I don't think I could ever enjoy a fwd vehicle. Just so boring.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

In a FWD vehicle you do donuts in reverse. Super fun.

Sent from my iThingy.
kdj
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chilkoot
Year: 2003
Tim's: Tim who?

Post by kdj »

I borrow my mothers Sunfire FWD just to do backwards donuts at least once every winter. I feel just like Bond, James Bond .With the Pathfinder it's a little harder. Pathfinder with 250 HP and RWD it's not hard to come out of the Beer Store parking lot ass backwards twice. But not on purpose...honest. I might try a triple tomorrow.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I enjoyed FWD, it's fun cause you can be super aggressive and get completely sideways and just point and shoot.

But I <3 RWD, it's so much fun and I truly enjoy the fact that it had no driver aids for stability or traction. In the winter I slide all the time, everytime, anytime and any place I can. The RX8 had TSC and DSC and disable able in 2 stages, but I'm just happy I can totally disable it. Although I can see especially this handy for families with new drivers, or drivers to be, but maybe not on a family vehicle, but on my own personal vehicle. the system needs to have the ability to completely disable the driver assists, or if it gets to the point where we can't, I'll be putting in bypass switches.

Personally I would like to say that I would want to give my kids some good defensive driving lessons. I think it's essential to give them the experience of how a car reacts in poor conditions and situations. cause if they never had a car slide or lose control, you don't want them to learn that in the midst of a real situation. They need to know what you expect and how to react and keep your cool. You can't disagree that those of us that have fun drifting and sliding in the winter make the best winter drivers.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Xtrapol8 wrote:Last winter I did spin out because VDC (and every other electronic nanny) was out of commision because of a failing wheel bearing. The ABS sensor couldn't get its count so I wasn't allowed to engage 4wd, didn't have ABS, didn't have @&*% all !

I'm sure they design vehicles these days knowing that the computer will compensate for (insert design flaw here). It was quite scary driving around in such a vehicle.
When this fault occurs and you need 4wd restart the truck and immediately engage 4HI, or 4LO, it will engage as the diagnostic that determines the VDC isn't working runs every time you run the vehicle...but not right away. I'm fairly certain once 4Hi, or 4Lo, is engaged it will not disengage until you select 2Hi.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Miner wrote:
Xtrapol8 wrote:Last winter I did spin out because VDC (and every other electronic nanny) was out of commision because of a failing wheel bearing. The ABS sensor couldn't get its count so I wasn't allowed to engage 4wd, didn't have ABS, didn't have @&*% all !

When this fault occurs and you need 4wd restart the truck and immediately engage 4HI, or 4LO, it will engage as the diagnostic that determines the VDC isn't working runs every time you run the vehicle...but not right away. I'm fairly certain once 4Hi, or 4Lo, is engaged it will not disengage until you select 2Hi.
That's a tip I won't forget.

Thank you.
FrontyFlyer
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: R

Post by FrontyFlyer »

ahhh that would have saved my ass if i knew that.

If that doesnt work... Climb under and take the shift solenoid off the t-case and manually select 4, 4lo ect. All you need is 10mm socket to remove the solenoid and large flat head screwdriver/prybar to rotate the shifter slot on the t-case. It will take some trial and error to figure out what position your in. Turn the truck off each time you shift, block the tires to take the weight of the drivetrain, keep in mind it will roll freely in neutral position, don't jam the solenoid back on in the wrong position.

Not fun when your stuck in the mud or -30 but at least you can manually override the electric shifter in an emergency.
05' Frontier 6speed- 35"s locked, lifted, broken in
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

and if that doesn't work you can shut the truck off tap the breaks 3 times with the key in at the acc start the truck and you should be able to engage 4hi then 4lo. i have to do this everytime i go to 4wd right now because i have a buggared tone ring on one axle.
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

BigRed44 wrote:and if that doesn't work you can shut the truck off tap the breaks 3 times with the key in at the acc start the truck and you should be able to engage 4hi then 4lo. i have to do this everytime i go to 4wd right now because i have a buggared tone ring on one axle.
That's how I get back to Kansas.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now