Xterra Discontinued For 2015

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Xterra Discontinued For 2015

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Re: Xterra Discontinued For 2015

Post by Snafu »

If this is true then IDIOTS!
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed. Hopefully, maybe it's just a hiatus for a major design + diesel, hopefully...The Frontier needs a kick in the arse since the Canyon/Colorado have kicked up the game, so they'll focus on that being competitive (the Frontier being 10 years old in it's curreny design) and an X should follow after, if not at the same time.

But with that they did with the Pathfinder worries me for the X
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

After the crash and brands pulled back on models, a lot are now diluting their line ups. Basically they did not learn from the past mistakes. Not just Nissan but the whole industry.

If the X leaves the line-up we can only hope that they can make a decent pathy version. I am still a fronty person and hope they do something decent but I think in 3 years I might be looking at a used dodge eco-diesel <hides>

I am still not sold on the titan either. Do they really need it? In reading reviews the Titan is a dog compared to other full sized trucks...even with a diesel it might not mean much. Sad to say :(

There are so many diluted models now it is silly :o
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
FrontyFlyer
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: R

Post by FrontyFlyer »

Its such a shame. We cant blame the industry here, its the consumers. Little gas sipping grocery getters is the only thing selling now so thats what we get.
05' Frontier 6speed- 35"s locked, lifted, broken in
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

You mean the sheeple. They will buy anything and believe anything.

Industry can take some of this blame with the dilution.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

I saw some posts about a diesel frontier possibly coming, but I still haven't seen anything official from Nissan about the Xterra either....
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Snafu wrote: If the X leaves the line-up we can only hope that they can make a decent pathy version. I am still a fronty person and hope they do something decent but I think in 3 years I might be looking at a used dodge eco-diesel <hides>
I think the Eco-Diesel is an excellent idea/option for someone who wants a fuel efficient truck, doesn't tow over 6,000lbs often and never more than 7,500lbs (or whatever its rated for). To me it makes more sense to sell fuel efficient half tons then mini-trucks that cost more than a more capable half ton.

Time will tell if GM can breath new life into the mini-trucks. If they do I hope Nissan answers with a MODERN Frontier with the Cummins Atlas engine as an option.
Snafu wrote: I am still not sold on the titan either. Do they really need it? In reading reviews the Titan is a dog compared to other full sized trucks...even with a diesel it might not mean much. Sad to say :(
Dog! Watch you don't get bit. The old dog still outperforms the new NA trucks. Is it old in the tooth, YES. Did Nissan drop the ball and wait too long to redesign, YES. Is the new Titan XD the best looking truck, NO...hopefully the standard Titan will look significantly better without the body-lift, grill, and hood needed to accept the 5.0 Cummins.

I want the new Titan XD to succeed, but I doubt it will. Price and brand loyalty will likely be its down fall. The new standard Titan may be successful, it will depend on what Nissan brings to the table.

If the Titan XD doesn't succeed the good news is the Cummins is slated for the Tundra as well. The Tundra platform is also venerable but with the Cummins I can't see it being anything but a success.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Yup totally agree on the eco-diesel. Why buy half a truck when you can buy a full-size full featured truck with better economy? I still have to wait and see what happens over the next 3 years to see if it really does what they say.

As for titan, yes, I bit my tongue saying that but I am still not impressed at the moment...holding my breath for nissan ;)
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Miner

Post by Miner »

Snafu wrote:Yup totally agree on the eco-diesel. Why buy half a truck when you can buy a full-size full featured truck with better economy? I still have to wait and see what happens over the next 3 years to see if it really does what they say.
From what I'm hearing from owners...I interrogate people at gas-bars....and have read online the fuel economy is easily better than they (RAM) says it is. Even towing is 20+ mpg. Big question is the durability of the engine, and of the RAM itself.

Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Thread jacking a little here, but someone mentioned the new Colorado which is sounding pretty great for 2015:

However it looks like Tacoma will be a better contender in 2016 possibly (if you can tolerate the front end looks :squeam:):

I wonder if the 2016 Frontier will follow the design cues of the new Navara?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

They all look terrible.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
deeker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Rubicon Unlimited
Tim's: Dr. Pepper!

Post by deeker »

Miner wrote:
Snafu wrote:Yup totally agree on the eco-diesel. Why buy half a truck when you can buy a full-size full featured truck with better economy? I still have to wait and see what happens over the next 3 years to see if it really does what they say.
From what I'm hearing from owners...I interrogate people at gas-bars....and have read online the fuel economy is easily better than they (RAM) says it is. Even towing is 20+ mpg. Big question is the durability of the engine, and of the RAM itself.
My brother-in-law bought the Eco-Diesel. Loves it, and he's always been a GMC / Chevy V8 guy.

I've watched in dismay as model after model from all manufacturers have been watered down and 'sissy-fied' over the past few years. CARB emission regulations, crash test ratings and the general 'want to be outdoorsy but not give up my cup holders and leather interior' creature comforts have softened all of the solid, off-road oriented vehicles. The accountants have spoken... "Make what sells". Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, Pathy's and FourRunners, the new Cherokee, and so on. Now discontinuing the XTerra? Another one bites the dust. Jeep has held out the longest with the Wrangler (And only the Wrangler - for now. All other models in the range, not so much.) We'll be looking back at the 2000's as the death of the good off-road vehicles.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well they'll probably come back. We saw a lot of run RWD cars and even FWD from the 80's and 90's die off in the 2000's. You really dont see much for 2-door FWD cars, but they used to be all the rage. Almost every Mazda was a sort of 2-door (Mx-3, Mx-6, Mx-5, Rx-7, 323) Then in the 2000's, they all went boring 4-door FWD sedans, but look at Toyota, they scrapped all their fun cars, but became extremely successful because they catered to the masses, and finally, slowly, are getting back into the fun cars, but it's hard, the Toyobarus aren't selling well after the initial sales of the people that wanted one, bought one. RWD fun cars have come and gone and come and gone. The S2000 and Rx-8 are gone, the 350/370 is still around but the G37 now the Q50/Q60 and the Hyundai Genesis has done ok, but not the huge seller it was suppose to be, and they're now dropping the Turbo4 to have only the V6 (sales were about 50/50). There's a few affordable RWD sports car out there, but not in abundance. FWD sports cars have been making a comeback. The Speed3 (not currently available but will be back) Fiesta RS, Focus RS, Fiat 500 Abarth. Those are fun FWD cars, and all snail-powered.

It's sad to see the 4x4 SUV's fall out, but I would say for 2 reasons: Fuel and CUV's 1)Gas prices shot up, but also, the existance of the CUV same about. People didn't NEED a Pathfinder or an Xterra to move their families and do groceries and drive in bad weather. A car-based SUV (CUV) that's ligher, more aerodynamic and gets much better gas mileage with AWD will do pretty much 100% of what the average person asks for. 2) Pickup trucks. North America is pushing the full sized pickup trucks HARD and are selling $3000USD over inflation. You can't a capable 4x4, it's a pickup truck they want to sell you. Althought the small truck market still exists (Ford refusing to bring the Ranger to North America), but with GM bringing back the Canyon/Colorado. Frontier vs Xterra sales were about 4.5:1 in 2014, despite it being basically the same vehicle. I have no idea on why the 4Runner is still around or sells so well. It sells about as well as the Frontier; it's significantly more expensive, less powerful and less capable then the Xterra and you never see the new ones off-road...

People decide with their wallets, in a world where the Rogue, Murano and Pathfinder (yuk) which are all somewhat similar, but all are able to survive around each other. You can still get a 2012 Pathfinder at less than 3 years old, the Xterra is still around this year, the FJ a year out, I'll take serveral years when these vehicles get really old and we see a resurgence of body-on-frame SUV's. With the Canyon/Colorado supposibly to have a diesel soon, the Wrangler to get a diesel and hopefully even the Frontier will get the Cummins with a new design, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed when the Frontier, we'll get a new Xterra sometime thereafter, but I think it needs to be priced under $30K to start.
Miner

Post by Miner »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:People decide with their wallets, in a world where the Rogue, Murano and Pathfinder (yuk) which are all somewhat similar, but all are able to survive around each other.
Rogue = Cost sensitive buyer (4 passengers or less)

Murano = Mature buyer (4 passengers or less)

Pathfinder = Family buyer (4 passengers or more)

What's missing is capability. Right now the only way to get a capable vehicle is to go with a pickup and then you're limited to 5 or 6 passengers....unless the QX80 is within your budget. There's even a large number of the pickups that are no longer capable, and the HDs are too capable or too big, with a hefty mileage penalty.

Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

See, that's the problem. Technically the Rogue can even had a 3rd row to seat 7

Both The Rogue and Murano are 5 seaters. but the Rogue a 4cyl, and the Murano a v6 (and a tad bigger), but why can't they have just multiple engine options and different trim options in 1 vehicle? I think it's image. It doesn't matter if you have a Rogue GoldPlatedPlatnum Edition, it's still a Rogue, which is lesser than a Murano. Why can't you get the V6 in Rogue and why not an economic 4cyl in the Murano? Why does the Pathfinder (in it's current form) even exist? They each just lack something important enough to need to go to a different model.
Miner

Post by Miner »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:See, that's the problem. Technically the Rogue can even had a 3rd row to seat 7
Didn't know that :thumbup:

....and a towing capacity of 1,000lbs :fawkdance: :thumbdown:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:Both The Rogue and Murano are 5 seaters. but the Rogue a 4cyl, and the Murano a v6 (and a tad bigger), but why can't they have just multiple engine options and different trim options in 1 vehicle? I think it's image. It doesn't matter if you have a Rogue GoldPlatedPlatnum Edition, it's still a Rogue, which is lesser than a Murano. Why can't you get the V6 in Rogue and why not an economic 4cyl in the Murano? Why does the Pathfinder (in it's current form) even exist? They each just lack something important enough to need to go to a different model.
In its current form the Pathfinder could be replaced by a Murano XL with a third row of seating.

Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Multiple models offer the customer choice. Practically any of their line-ups could be halved, but more choice means more sales...to a point. So long as the models are drawing in crowds and minimally cannibalizing sales from adjacent models it is good business. There is both math and psychology behind it.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner