Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Terrano Snorkel and Volant Intake

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Over the last few weeks I've been working at finally putting a new airbox and a snorkel on my truck. We had fibured I was getting water in through my original airbox, which we were suspecting it was it that was giving me a hard time at AW http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5422 so I made it a priority to replace that, and at the same time, a snorkel install.

I decided to go with the Volant intake over stock. My OEM needed to be replaced, but despite the Volant not being properly sealed for water, I figured it was the best for modability to suit that need, while making the filter still easily serviceable. The only part was to actually be able to connect the two together because of the oval opening on the Volant, which was my excuse to get into playing with fiberglass, which last time I did (and learnt) was over 10 years ago.

For the snorkel, and this is something I've wanted to do for quite some time, was to use the Terrano/Navara/Hardbody Pathfinder one. I like the style, and with that, to color match it to the truck

The Volant, not knowingly, had to be cut to accommodate the piping to the motor because of difference in height because of the body lift. I found a root vent gasket that was a perfect fit, the metal trim would make it easy to bolt dowm to the box and had some flex to move with the swing of the motor. After drilling some holes, some silicone, bolts and some LeakSeal just to black out the metal trim and bolts, the white silicone, and just in case there were any little holes left, he's mostly done. That's the main part. The top cover I'll get to eventually' thinkning about going the plexiglass route like some have done.

The Volant to Snorkel adapter is a work in progress. I had the Volant adapter section too small so I've been needing to add material to the outside to widen the inside

Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Terrano Snorkel and Volant Intake

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

And for the snorkel. It's been an idea for a long time, and in that time I'm just been surprised no one else had tried it. So as far as I know, this is the first install of his snorkel on an Xterra, and the first time one had been color matched, but I guess there was no point either. This is the eBay fiberglass knock off, which I would rather spend $200 on a knock off than $600 for the real thing, plus fiberglass is actually workable if I need to modify anything. For the process, it was: Sand, one can LeakSeal, one can build-up Primer, 2 cans of Solar Yellow Paint and one can of Clear. Still wondering if I should of went Bedliner over the LeakSeal...

PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

Damm that's some great ingenuity. Very nice job on the colour match, looks bang on. Kinda of a tip or idea....I ditched the Phillips head screws to access the filter and threaded in little 1/4" pieces of threaded rod with some loctight into those brass bushings and use some wing nuts threaded onto that to seal the lid. Saves yourself grabbing a screwdriver to take the lid off.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Oh, great idea! I'm been wondering about how I could go about adding extra tie downs for the cover, that would actually solve that too, thanks!
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Looks great ... very clean.

I know Drew once said that the down side of getting his snorkel was all the attention it attracted. This one just blends right in.
I like the look of the top of it - clean and protected.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

Getting much noise with the window open?

This post has been written entirely in recycled electrons by a bonehead on a Galaxy S4. Also from inside an igloo. Why not, I'm from the "North" right?
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Looks great Michel!
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Oh your still going to get noticed. I like that the air intake is from the bottom.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Thanks! :)

Well I did like it's style for well, it's style, and now it would flow with the truck, and with that color matching it should of suited it.
Also with that style, I don't have to worry about facing it rear for rain, snow and branches that want to take it's head off, but I'll put on some guide wires anyway to help against that, and just branches in the windshield/window in general. The only downsides for it facing down would be for smokers, and if your mudding in reverse with offset rims, it could easilly throw up mud in there. For the fun of it I may make an adapter for that that bolts into some of the mounting bracket holes....I still need to make a mounting bracking for the top, and it wiggles a fair amount at highway speeds.

No noise yet, but the piping isn't done. I still need to finish the Volant adapter, and look to find a thin coupler since the tube of the snorkel is pretty much up against the fender. I also want to see if I can figure out if I can T-off with a CAI that I can easilly close off for water/offroad. Maybe incorporate a camper waste valve as the shutoff, butr I want it unnoticeable but easilly accessaible.
buttsy

Post by buttsy »

I was throwing around using a camper shut off, but there's not much usable space I've found. In the wheel well is the best access, but you'll have to find a way to get at it

This post has been written entirely in recycled electrons by a bonehead on a Galaxy S4. Also from inside an igloo. Why not, I'm from the "North" right?
buttsy

Post by buttsy »

There are cable actuated ones, so that should help

Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hmm, definitely an option, but they're not cheap. For a little bit more I could go electric! Would be cool to have it auto-engage when I put it in 4WD as well :teeth:
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

For your "t" idea...I use a plumbers plug for the lower air scoop thingie. I remove the scoop and leave the 2"+/- rubber coupling on the housing of the air box and insert the plumbers plug and cinch down. It works really well, but would it be cool with a electric one? Heck ya it would :) plumbers plugs are pretty cheap if you wana go the cheap route.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Solar Yellow Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large Regular

Post by yazza »

Impressive!
Pantharen
Make/Model: Mazda B2600i 4x4[x2]
Year: 90/93
Tim's: Dont drink Tim Horribles

Post by Pantharen »

That is freakin slick... I've been wanting a snorkle on my Mazda, but everything else I have seen is a hydrolock waiting to happen.. I like this idea..