Control Arm Bushings

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Control Arm Bushings

Post by Adam »

How often are you guys replacing your UCA bushings? I have the superlift/rough country arms on the pathy, and I thought they would last longer than the poop ones that 4x4parts had. Apparently not. I grease them every oil change. They have been on for probably 1.5 years. They aren't expensive or hard to change so it's not a huge deal, but is this normal service life? FWIW only the driver's side is loose but I'll replace em all.

This probably only applies to pathy's and 1st gen xterras.

In other news I am extremely stoked about my idler arm lasting a whole wheeling season. That grassroots CL is a lifesaver.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: Control Arm Bushings

Post by Miner »

Bushing at the frame or the uni-ball / ball-join at the spindle?
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Adam

Post by Adam »

Frame, there are 2 poly bushings on each side. Ball joints I haven't had an issue with.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

I hate poly bushings for this reason. I have never had any luck with longevity of poly bushings. Rubber, while not performing as well (when new) seems to last longer.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking already. I was told by superlift that the rubber (stock type) will not fit in their control arms. Do you remember if you were able to use rubber in yours way back when?

It isn't a race car so I'm sure the difference won't be noticeable, lol.

Miner

Post by Miner »

My PRG UCAs used Heim Joints at the frame. No discernible wear in over 100,000 km. There is a downside to them though, there is zero isolation from the frame so you feel everything through them.

Adam

Post by Adam »

That would be awesome to have but would require a lot of fab work to adapt to mine. I already feel most things because the rest of the bushings on my truck are polyurethane.

Last time I was able to get away with turning the spindle so it rode on the non-worn part of the bushing, and it bought me time, but not this time :(

Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Adam wrote:Thank you for confirming what I was thinking already. I was told by superlift that the rubber (stock type) will not fit in their control arms. Do you remember if you were able to use rubber in yours way back when?

It isn't a race car so I'm sure the difference won't be noticeable, lol.
I never tried. I was lucky with the X that the Rancho lift had lifetime warranty. I just kept ordering UCA bushings and they kept sending them.

I wonder if you could verify the fitment of the stock bushings in the Superlift A-arms. Maybe Superlift is full of poop. Stock replacement bushings aren't terribly expensive. Might be worth a shot.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Adam

Post by Adam »

Called and ordered a set of stockers today. They are cheap, my cost was 15 dollars a side! Bought one set for now.

I'll post up the results this week.

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Post by Drizit »

Miner wrote:My PRG UCAs used Heim Joints at the frame. No discernible wear in over 100,000 km. There is a downside to them though, there is zero isolation from the frame so you feel everything through them.
Those must be some super high quality heim joints, the ones in my steering are generally good for a season or two, then they get sloppy. Same with the small ones on my sway bars. Bet on a lot of dollars for new ones when they do go... Well worth it if they last that long though.

I have no idea what size the bushings in question are but one thing that may be an option. Curie makes a press in Johny joint to replace the upper control arm bushing on the axle side of a jeep. Again I don't know your dimensions but it's worth looking at.
Miner

Post by Miner »

Not sure on the supplier. I know the early spindle bearings had premature failures so they were upgraded.

Adam

Post by Adam »

Drizit wrote:
Miner wrote:My PRG UCAs used Heim Joints at the frame. No discernible wear in over 100,000 km. There is a downside to them though, there is zero isolation from the frame so you feel everything through them.
Those must be some super high quality heim joints, the ones in my steering are generally good for a season or two, then they get sloppy. Same with the small ones on my sway bars. Bet on a lot of dollars for new ones when they do go... Well worth it if they last that long though.

I have no idea what size the bushings in question are but one thing that may be an option. Curie makes a press in Johny joint to replace the upper control arm bushing on the axle side of a jeep. Again I don't know your dimensions but it's worth looking at.
That would be something to look into. They make rear trailing arms with johnny joints for mine. I'm sure there is a size that would fit.

As for steering, I've never really had an issue with the tie rods on mine. After I upgraded the drag link and idler arm, I just changed the original 1994 tie rods last summer.

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Post by Drizit »

Adam

Post by Adam »

Got the stock bushings yesterday. I'll try today or tomorrow and see if they fit :S

frontyon35s
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier pro4
Year: 2009
Tim's: pep tea

Post by frontyon35s »

I got prg uppers as well. The heims are stll good but i go thur a set of uniballs every year. I say it is becuse the sit horizontal on top of spindle. Rode grim just gets worked in as suspenshion cycles. The hiems are in not as grimy of a spot and sit vertical alowing grime to come off and not get worked into the joint.
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2007
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

weird i have the same uppers from PRG and have had no issues with the uniballs on top and have over 50k on them whith 4 good seasons of wheeling.
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Adam

Post by Adam »

I just ended up getting the superlift bushings again...

The only thing I ever had an issue, where no one else did, was those bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings. They didn't last worth poop for me, and I grease all of the zerks at each oil change. The stock plastic ones last longer. I'm probably doing something wrong but the plastic ones are cheaper and have been on the truck for 2 years so far no issues.