my pathy smells

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
dududuckling
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

my pathy smells

Post by dududuckling »

Hi guys,

I smell oil/gas burnt inside the cabin. It seems to come from the transmission. When the engine and everything else is cold, there's no smell at all. But today, having cruised on the highway for over an hour at 130 km/h, the lower end of the gear stick became warm and the smell became really strong. Its been going on for a while, especially on a warm sunny day with traffic. I thought it was my expired air freshener. Am I looking at an expensive transmission fix? Any input on this one?

Also, I recently have my exhaust patched coz it broke off next to the rear diff. And I notice that my rear diff. has been slightly damp ever since. But the wet spot on it doesn't expand and there's no leak. The exhaust guy told me not to worry about it. I'm not sure if it is related in any way, I thought I'd present all the possibilities.

Thanks in advanced, guys
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Re: my pathy smells

Post by Scotto »

I would check oil levels and watch for leakage. It's normal for the tranny have some seepage - as long as there aren't any puddles in the driveway, it's fine. You're probably smelling oil warming and burning off the hot tranny. There are times my Xterra has a few unusual smells coming off the engine when hot and working hard. Nothing I worry about. Just dirt and oil being burned off the engine, as far as I can tell. As for the fuel, you probably have a fuel leak. Sniff around the back end of the truck.

The other problem, of course, is that you have exhaust fumes coming into the cabin.

As for the diff - try to identify what the stuff is on it. Then I would wash it off with brake cleaner or even rim cleaner. Get the diff clean. Does this little damp spot come back? It's probably a mix of oil and grease. Just clean it.

Scott
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

Thanks for the reply, Scott :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

There aren't any puddles of oil on the driveway, except water when the a/c is turned on. I also check the undercarriage every day. The gas tank skid plate and all the other components, except the rear diff., are dry and rusty. There's no smell of fuel or burnt oil when I'm outside of the car. Its just inside the cabin. And I've done the factory recall on fuel filter. So I''m pretty sure its the smell of burnt oil, which I've confused with fuel. Regarding the rear diff., I know the damp spot doesn't expand. But I'll get the differential clean next week when I clean the pathy altogether. Thanks again!!! :worthy:
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Check for an exhaust leak under your truck. It could be that the hot exhaust is melting some undercoating and/or rubber in or on your truck.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

Will do that too, Simon. thanks!
Nissanboy97
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1997
Tim's: 2c 3s w/ B.C.

Post by Nissanboy97 »

what about the cabin filter, dont they give a whole whack of different smells when they get a little dirty?
STOCK..............................AGAIN!!!!
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

Its last changed two years ago. I know it should be changed annually or something. I sprayed lysol into the A/C to kill all the bacteria, hahahhaa... Found one online on courtesy parts. But the smell comes from the bottom of the gear stick when its warm (i.e. when i leave for school in the morning and its cold, there's no smell. when i reach school and the bottom of the stick is warm, the smell kicks in), lol...