Quote a little pricey? - Rotors, pads and 2 bearings

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
canoe
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2005
Tim's: Coffee, 1 sugar

Quote a little pricey? - Rotors, pads and 2 bearings

Post by canoe »

Anyone have know how much the following repairs should cost, ballpark?

- 4 rotors and pads;
- both front bearings.

I was quoted 1000 and 1400 in 2 places; parts I'm told are total 600. Does this sound right? My 05 apparently has 2 rotors that are gone, and the other 2 are close.

Keep in mind, I dont have the time, skill or tools to do any of this myself. I just thought it would cost a bunch less....
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Re: Quote a little pricey? - Rotors, pads and 2 bearings

Post by Adam »

I would shop around a little more sounds kinda pricey to me. Then again I drive an older vehicle so parts may be cheaper.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

the bearings are sealed units on those trucks, so are pricey. The labour sounds a little high to me on the $1400 quote. At $1000 4 hours for the job sounds about right so that's not far off.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Check out on line catalogues like partsource or UAP...not recommending either but they can give you a ball park idea on the parts cost.

As an example using partsource:

Front pads - $60-65 (I believe this is a pair of pads)
Front Rotors - $85-105 (x2 - sold separately)
Front bearings and seals - not listed (only listed complete hubs)

Rear Pads - $57 - 63 (for the pair of pads)
Rear Rotors - $41-78 (x2 - sold separately)
Rear bearings and seals - $45-67 (x2)

This comes to about $630 for the higher price parts and without the front bearings. So their quote of $600 is about right for the parts. I suspect the rotors in this quote are the "disposable" versions (i.e., cannot be machined after use).

So this leaves labour at $400 to $800 at the places. If it is a 4 hour job (by the book) then the hourly rates charged are $100-200!

Either they are charging labour higher than the dealer or they are charging for more than 4 hours.

With such a big difference in the labour cost I suspect one place thinks there is a reason for taking longer.

It would be good to hear what Mike or Jay say on the cost at the dealer for brakes (if you are a premium member then I think you get 10% off through them ;))
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Around where I am a complete brake job alone will be around $600-$800 at a shop, depending on the shop and the vehicle (Why do you think I learned to do my own brakes...).

$1000 for the new brakes at all 4 corners plus 2 wheel bearings doesn't seem too far off the mark to me, but $1400 is pretty steep.

This is just my opinion, I'm not a mechanic so have no idea what it takes on these vehicles, just going based on past experiences with my previous vehicles. 1 wheel bearing on my old Subaru was $300- $400 after everything if I remember right :cry:
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

Nissan pads for your vehicle clock in at $121.00 each, and $132.00 per rotor. The bearings are sold as hubs and are $241.00 a piece plus 1 1/2 to 2 hours per side to replace if all goes well.

Watch out for aftermarket pads, they seem more attractive at first due to price, but the really cheap ones are rock hard. They need to be hammered on and heated up before you start to brake fully, and they kill rotors.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Yeah nothing stops like oem brakes. I changed the pads and resurfaced the rotors on my dads r50, they are oem rotors but partsource brand ceramic pads and it still doesn't feel as good as the oem stuff did.

Also I would get a second opinion on the bearings (isn't 05 a little soon for that, but he didn't list mileage) to make sure they really need to be changed. I thought mine were bad but turned out to be bad tires. Unless the X is known for bearing problems.

(this is just my general automotive knowledge as I've only worked on pathfinders and a 1st gen xterra)

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Snafu
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Didn't know that about the front bearings only sold as a hub...no wonder they were pricey when I looked at parts source :o

Hey Jay, is that price for one side only or is this a set for the front or rear (i.e. four pads total)?

If it makes you feel any better, just the rotors and pads (all around) for my subaru are $700-800 (EBC performance versions).
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
clark2334
Make/Model: nissan sentra
Year: 2005
Tim's: coffee

Post by clark2334 »

This is why I hate to go to auto shop to fix my vehicle or do some parts replacement, it will really cost you $$$. I rather do it myself. Replacing brake pads, brake rotors, and bearings is just a piece of cake if you just really know the HowTos. We already got all the resources needed. Lots of it can be found from forums, Google, blogs, etc.
x-fisher
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2003
Tim's: milk or water

Post by x-fisher »

I bought my truck a year ago and they had put on aftermarket pads in the front for the saftey, I replaced them this summer with OEM and there is a noticable difference.
Dieter
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Better or worse?
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power