What's new & exciting on your truck?
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Monster truck wanabe

Post by Bow_Tied »

morb wrote:I wouldn't do that tire carrier, personally. Seems like an awful lot of weight to put on a trailer hitch.

If that was going into a class 3 hitch I can't see the problem. What is the tongue weight rating on an X?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Simon
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Class 3 is good for 350-500lbs. Doubtful you'd come near that with the tire carrier and a tire.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
HolidayNation
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

That surely won't be a problem, my buddy carries his XR650R MC on his rear hitch.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

I just think it would be a pain in the ass every time you want something out the back door. Think about it - a swing arm is worth the extra bit of coin. What are you going to do, take the damn thing off every time you need access to the back? No, you'll either stop using the back hatch b/c of the stupid tire carrier, or you'll dump the carrier. Which leads one to ask, why did you get that carrier?
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Geoffrey wrote:I just think it would be a pain in the ass every time you want something out the back door. Think about it - a swing arm is worth the extra bit of coin. What are you going to do, take the damn thing off every time you need access to the back? No, you'll either stop using the back hatch b/c of the stupid tire carrier, or you'll dump the carrier. Which leads one to ask, why did you get that carrier?
Does the carrier not flip down after you pull a pin?I thought it might. I have a bike rack that does that.
morb
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: DD

Post by morb »

It might take the weight, but would it stay put if you get rear ended or back into something?

I honestly don't know, but i've never been a fan of putting anything like that in the hitch.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Simon wrote:Class 3 is good for 350-500lbs. Doubtful you'd come near that with the tire carrier and a tire.
Whats the difference in a class 3 hitch? The tire and carrier would be about 100 lb's. approx?
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I saw a hitch spare carrier in a 4Runner back when I was in VA, didn't really click in about it until I got the X years later. I do plan on going that route myself actually. I've been eyeballing the CBI-style carrier for, *sigh*, years now. Call me complicated, but I just don't want a tire carrier on the truck all the time. I've got a specific idea on what I want my truck to be when it (eventually) grows up, so I'm doing what takes to do it :)

http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/cbi-tire-car ... ed-109234/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Ahaa,some can fold down.I think it would work better in a aftermarket bumper with the hitch built in.Would be higher.It looks like it is very minimal the distance the shaft would stick out.Just thinking of the departure or approach angle.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Geoffrey wrote:I just think it would be a pain in the ass every time you want something out the back door. Think about it - a swing arm is worth the extra bit of coin. What are you going to do, take the damn thing off every time you need access to the back? No, you'll either stop using the back hatch b/c of the stupid tire carrier, or you'll dump the carrier. Which leads one to ask, why did you get that carrier?
I beleive the one he was looking at does have an incorporated swing arm.

I agree though, no swing arm = pita.
#MoreRon

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

the x kid wrote:
Simon wrote:Class 3 is good for 350-500lbs. Doubtful you'd come near that with the tire carrier and a tire.
Whats the difference in a class 3 hitch? The tire and carrier would be about 100 lb's. approx?
The higher the class number of the hitch the heavier the trailer it is rated for and so goes the tongue weight rating (around 10% of trailer) not withstanding vehcile limits.
#MoreRon

the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Okay guy's,update.I have been trying to follow your advice,so I had an opertunity to get a SLR steering centrelink,so I jumped on it.Man it is alot tighter.Read Jaymans thread on his HooHaa and it sounds similar.I have the TRA's and am trying to get the inner and outer TRE's from Moog.I have new Bandit Centre Link Bushings and washers for the SLR also that need to be changed. Does anybody have any experience with the SLR steering? The instructions are not clear for me on the website.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Alright,steering is put aside for now.I have pieced together my parts for a 3" lift.I also have new Torsion Bars.[30% higher spring rate]Should I change them,or go with the stock one's for now?Opinions.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

the x kid wrote:Alright,steering is put aside for now.I have pieced together my parts for a 3" lift.I also have new Torsion Bars.[30% higher spring rate]Should I change them,or go with the stock one's for now?Opinions.
Depends on what you want to do. They can be a pain in the kneck to do, so you may actually be better off swapping them out, and then doing your lift another day.

The only real benefit from the new T-bars is the stiffer spring rate. You'll get a stiff ride out of it, that's about it.

When I did my lift, I swapped the T-bars to stiffer ones, but I carry around my stock ones as trail spares, because they DO snap from time to time.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Thanx Jay.Did you get a package yet?
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

the x kid wrote:Thanx Jay.Did you get a package yet?
I did! Was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. Thanks!
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.