Recon 10500lbs winch

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Re: Recon 10500lbs winch

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

nathan wrote:not that i am an expert or anything, but are you not supose to be using the winch with the truck and not letting it do all of the work.
I was reading that apprently it's best to do it that way...i don't remember why however...
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: dd

Post by nathan »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
nathan wrote:not that i am an expert or anything, but are you not supose to be using the winch with the truck and not letting it do all of the work.
I was reading that apprently it's best to do it that way...i don't remember why however...
What was the best way... I heard you would kill you winch if you let it do all the work. Something about the gears maybe or the motor in it.
2" BL / 31 MT's on DC-1 RIMS, 2 100 WATT AND 2 55 WATT ROOF MOUNTED LIGHTS
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No, i mean letting the winch do the work and not helping it...

Oh, now I know where I read it...it my SuperWinch manual, lol!
DO NOT "move" your vehicle to assist the winch in pulling the load. The combination of the winch and vehicle pulling together could overload the wire rope and the winch
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:No, i mean letting the winch do the work and not helping it...

Oh, now I know where I read it...it my SuperWinch manual, lol!
DO NOT "move" your vehicle to assit the winch in pulling the load. The combination of the winch and vehicle pulling together could overload the wire rope and the winch
The way I read that statement is that if you are winching someone else, do not ALSO pull with the truck; leave the truck stationary, and use the winch to pull the stranded vehicle (or object).

However, I believe that if you are stuck, and you are winching yourself out, using the truck to try and drive,in a slow and controlled manner, in the same direction that the winch is pulling in, is acceptable.

Your winch should be rated to pull at least 1.5 times the GVWR of the stranded vehicle, so pulling with just the winch should be OK. If that's not enough, double up the line with a pulley block.

Not that I have a lot of winching experience.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You know, as I was typing that out, I was thinking the exact same thing, however, the way they say "assist the winch", if you were pulling someone else out, your not "assisting" the winch if you're also pulling with the truck. I would see "assisting" would be moving foward with the winch if you're pulling yourself out.

However, the second part about "The combination of the winch and vehicle pulling", if you're moving with the winch, that's not a combination of pulling.

Regardless, hopefully someone with winching experience can clear this up...
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Black

Post by Feds »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:You know, as I was typing that out, I was thinking the exact same thing, however, the way they say "assist the winch", if you were pulling someone else out, your not "assisting" the winch if you're also pulling with the truck. I would see "assisting" would be moving foward with the winch if you're pulling yourself out.

However, the second part about "The combination of the winch and vehicle pulling", if you're moving with the winch, that's not a combination of pulling.

Regardless, hopefully someone with winching experience can clear this up...

The key line is "The combination of the winch and vehicle pulling together could overload the wire rope and the winch" If you are driving in the opposite direction of your pull (driving while winching yourself out of a mud hole), you are reducing the force on your cable and the winch. If you are driving with the winch (backing up while winching another vehicle toward you), then you definitely are increasing the force on the rope and winch.

the other big advantage I see to trying to drive yourself out while winching is that keeping the revs up is beneficial for charging and cooling.

Potential issues are having the cable go slack and get caught up under the vehicle. Also, if you are in complicated (rocky, off camber) terrain, your driving may get you into a weird position relative to your pull (i.e. truck slips sideways or climbs up something, putting bigger strain on the winch).

So, I'll go this way for extra caution: Pulling out of mud or holes, I would drive as well as winch. Off of (or up) a rocky trail, let the winch to the work.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I agree on all pros and cons.

In reality, if the winch can't pull you out by itself (with exemption if you're that badly stuck), you need a better winch
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra OR
Year: 2006

Post by CanadianX »

nathan wrote:not that i am an expert or anything, but are you not supose to be using the winch with the truck and not letting it do all of the work. Besides that it looks sick, I wish I could get a bumper that looked like that.
You are correct, but this was a staged shot so the X wasn't actually stuck and wasn't providing much resistance to the 10500lb pull capacity of the winch. Doing anything to spare your winch, regardless of brand makes sense, snatch block, veh power all good stuff I agree.
Marishvcard
Make/Model: Mack 2010
Year: 2010
Tim's: Tea

Post by Marishvcard »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: You are correct, but this was a staged shot so the X wasn't actually stuck and wasn't providing much resistance to the 10500lb pull capacity of the winch. Doing anything to spare your winch, regardless of brand makes sense, snatch block, veh power all good stuff I agree.
This brand makes sense to me.