Winter Camping

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Lukexskywalker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2002
Tim's: lg black coffee

Re: Winter Camping

Post by Lukexskywalker »

Thats a nice sleeping bag, I bought a -25 bag at the outdoors show last year on clearence for $55! Best 55 bucks ive ever spent.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

nice pics Jas! can you share what you guys did for meals? what's the white stuff, banek mix?

thanks for sharing, awesome pics!

been wanting to do some stealth winter camping closer by for a while, just can't find the time... but algonquin or kilarney would be awesome to do one day!

have fun with the trip nismo!
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

Use Meal Kit Supply Canada for most of my camping supplies. Non perishable, self heating, and only need water (doesn't even need to be potable) to use em... I always bring utensils, a cup, and a method of heating drinking water (as morning Buttsy is a grumpy Buttsy without coffee)
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

cool. i have one military mre i've yet to touch, saving it for emergencies, lol. got a thing for packin light and packin good food. i like banek mix and all the possibilities with it, just add water and bake or fry. . . . always lookin for new/cool recipes. :)
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

We dehydrate all our own food, eggs stuff like that
JAS
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra Off-road
Year: 2008
Tim's: Large Regular

Post by JAS »

CR - the white stuff is rice. I divide up the meals into ziplock bags per person. That way everyone is carrying their own food. I do that so that everyone has close to the same load to carry and if we get separated or a group were to get lost they have food on them. For winter camping overnighters we are only concerned about lunch, dinner, breakfast and snacks. I don't do anything fancy since the load is light, but I do measure everything out so that at the camp site I only have to worry about how much water to add (oatmeal and rice) and that is easy with a graduated Nalgene bottle. I don't want to be measuring dry stuff when I am out there. For lunches I prepare hardy sandwiches (buns/cheese/salami - lots of fat), but these are usually consumed after a few hours of walking. For dinner I have preferred sausages cooked over the coals and cut up into a rice and raisin mixture. We tend to cook over coals since there is a lot of spare time in camp huddling over the fire.

Good luck with your upcoming trip - I am looking forward to some pictures!
"I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." - Groucho Marx
Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

Yea i was thinking the same thing with the food to spread the weight were going for three days, were doing chilli for supper one night just add to a pot and heat up , steaks and rice and rehydrated veggies , and for breckfest eggs bacon and baked beans (homemade) oatmeal for another day and not sure about the next breakfast, as for lunchs mr noodles peanut better sandwichs, strew and not sure what else
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Nismojunky wrote:Yea i was thinking the same thing with the food to spread the weight
What do you do with the food at night? Hang everyone's packs?

Have you chosen a route? Is it the hiking trails north of the west end of Hwy 60? (click for map)
Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

Food stays in the packs its winter bears are hybernating my buddie has the route idk it exaclty, we did it in the summer a few years ago and he went wintercamping last year at the same spot
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

JAS wrote:CR - the white stuff is rice. I divide up the meals into ziplock bags per person. That way everyone is carrying their own food. I do that so that everyone has close to the same load to carry and if we get separated or a group were to get lost they have food on them. For winter camping overnighters we are only concerned about lunch, dinner, breakfast and snacks. I don't do anything fancy since the load is light, but I do measure everything out so that at the camp site I only have to worry about how much water to add (oatmeal and rice) and that is easy with a graduated Nalgene bottle. I don't want to be measuring dry stuff when I am out there. For lunches I prepare hardy sandwiches (buns/cheese/salami - lots of fat), but these are usually consumed after a few hours of walking. For dinner I have preferred sausages cooked over the coals and cut up into a rice and raisin mixture. We tend to cook over coals since there is a lot of spare time in camp huddling over the fire.

Good luck with your upcoming trip - I am looking forward to some pictures!
nice, sounds like good eating! and it's nice that you don't have to worry about food spoiling too.
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Nismojunky wrote:Food stays in the packs its winter bears are hybernating
:lol:

I was thinking more about annoyances than threats.
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Nismojunky wrote:A few of my buddies adn I are going winter camping to Algonquin park feb18th weekend (family day long weekend) hiking about 10-15km in, no tents build your own shelter anyone else interested in coming? there is 5 of us atm
I just had my schedule firm up - it's a no go for me; family commitments.

I may get that military bag and spend a night in the backyard though - as a dry run for some time in the future.

... looking forward to the pic and stories.
JAS
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra Off-road
Tim's: Large Regular

Post by JAS »

How did the trip go?
"I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." - Groucho Marx
Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

Sorry for the late reply been really busy catching up on work okay trip went good there is alot of things im doing differently next time, first one is no booze, second is pack way lighterlol heres a link to my facebook album

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 062&type=3
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

Cool pics! Curious, What items did you overpack? Diggin the shelter you guys made!
Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

Stove for one thing, 5 bottles of propane (1per person), FOOD took in stews chillis canned beans. Will be doing all dryed foods next time. BEER ZERO BEER 4 cases are really **I have a filthy mouth, pass the soap** heavy to drag in 18 pounds a case and it froze we had to thaw everybeer before we could drink it and when you set it down to go chop some firewood take a piss ect it refreezes biggest pain in the world. To be honest I wont be bringing any alcohol at all, dont feel the need to drink out there so much more going on and to think about
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SE
Year: 2004
Tim's: Double Double

Post by thegoodstink »

Scotch in a flask. Light, and small. Doubles as a painkiller to boot!
04 Xterra 4x4 with added junk
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

ahh, so you wanted to put may 24 style car camping together with winter surviving, lol. sounds like a fun trip nonetheless! uggh, still tryin to see if i can squeeze even just an overnighter somewhere close... i'm thinking everything in a backpack, hike in, stealth camp and head out.