Under Truck Spare Tire and Aftermarket Rear Bumper

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Under Truck Spare Tire and Aftermarket Rear Bumper

Post by Bow_Tied »

^ oh good, I thought it was just me. :lol:

Sent from my shoe phone.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, in the sence, when getting it made, why not get it done properly.

The first through is to move my hitch-mounted shacle to it rather than on the factory hitch. It would get hit less and not as easilly get burried/submerged in the rear for recovery. I know I'll have side shackle mounts, but sometimes it's easier or best to pull from the center of the vehicle.

But in the end, I do want/will tow with it, eventually. I really want to get/build an off-road trailer, especially for the RTT. On the standard hitch, it would be the lowest point in the rear and constantly get bashed up, hit or just in the damn way. Having the off-road trailer attached on the bumper would not affect my departure angle and protect the ball/hitch. Also if and when I can do the trailer with a Frontier bed, the (extended from the original) frame on the trailer and the frame on the Xterra should be at about level, and with the bumper hitch almost in line with the frame as well, it would be a straight shot so the tongue would/could stay straight. Still haven't decided if I'm going with a regular ball or a pintle hook...
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Jayman
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

If you plan to take the off-road trailer off-road, then you need something that can provide the articulation needed for said purpose. Pintle does the job obviously, but does have some limitations.

Good reference material here: http://www.campertrailers.org/couplings.htm
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ohh, thanks for the link Jayman!

Did another test fit on the bumper yesterday. She's coming along great, but my only issue is the length of the receiver and asked him to shorten it. He suggested against it for strength (limited with how far he can go behind because of the spare tire), but no matter, worse comes to worse is that I'll chop off the excess and get it modified later. That's alyways why I'm hesitant to get others to fab stuff for me and where try to do most of my ideas myself; there's always creative differences but I can't go against his knowledge and experience with fabrications and the forces that will be applied to the parts. Haaving no experience or equipment for welding and/or metal work I don't have much choice to compromise for now, but it's an easy tweak later if I need be.

The reinformcement brackest are also done for the brush guard, and the truck was left all day today for a final fitament/fabrication before she's welded up and painted and should be ready for next weel

Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

If you had the bumper built they way I built them including the one on Simons truck, the dimensions and angles are pretty much exactly to stock depths and angles and so on. My receivers never stuck past the back of the bumper. I for liability reasons, did not sell it for any thing other than a recovery point. That being said I am pretty sure a few have towed decent sized trailers with them. I have seen other companies bolt an angled plate from the top of the receiver to go up and tag in to a cross member at the back.To be honest it never came up with any that I built to keep the spare there. Most people when they get to the stage of slapping armour on, have already purchased bigger meats for the vehicle, so making the spare tire useless.
And yes, those are all Xterra bumpers you posted up.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Bender wrote:I have seen other companies bolt an angled plate from the top of the receiver to go up and tag in to a cross member at the back.
Do you have pics, or pics of how you used to do it? Looking at the back side of mine, is it Bender approved? I want to chop the ended piece of the receiver, and have the pin slot on the inside of the bumper like some have done, but it would also mean tgat the reinforcement he put that's attached to the crossmember would need to be moved to have room for the pin, and some new inforcements put back, in a different manner. With mine, would you have any suggestions?
Bender wrote:To be honest it never came up with any that I built to keep the spare there. Most people when they get to the stage of slapping armour on, have already purchased bigger meats for the vehicle, so making the spare tire useless.
Lol, seriously? I'm surprised, but not surprised. I've always gotta be different, even when I dont try to be... :stickwack:
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »