Extreme trail at aw 2016

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Extreme trail at aw 2016

Post by Drizit »

Hey so I've been kicking this around in my head and was wondering what you guys thought. If i were to lead it would there be enough interest to do a much more intense trail at AW next year?

I'm thinking Saturday (gives you Sunday to fix something before work if you do damage) probably something along the lines of "the rock" rated 3+, "greens mountain" rated 3+, or possibly (if we have the trucks for it) "timber 3" rated 5.

Fair warning, any of these have potential for body damage and busted parts. A winch on every rig would be mandatory and if we went to timber 3... Well read it on the trail index, the requirements are high (as in I don't think anything with an ifs will make it, short of a KOH buggy)

Thoughts? Misgivings? Abject terror? General feelings of good will?
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Tim's: L Reg

Re: Extreme trail at aw 2016

Post by Scotto »

I say go for it. The club is opening up as the old X's retire. And I see a lot of possibility to keep bringing in the fun. You know what the guys are like here. We will help rebuild a truck and get it home. Or help out it in a trailer.

I guess the only thing real thing is, and you already know, is we do keep it family friendly. So guys who just want to break stuff and then get plowed don't fit in.

But - like I said - good people who want a great weekend are more than welcome.

Scott.

Sent from my iThingy.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

I'm in... Terror and all.

Not sure I would want to run it at AW though, too much other stuff going on to worry about fixing a truck.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

If I get my 37s in time, I'm in. Not looking good right now, though. But, Ya never know.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

If I can find a winch by then I'm in.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

I'd be interested.
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Might not be a good idea for Saturday. The main evening events occur Saturday night and I recall a year when two trail groups didn't arrive back until around midnight. I support those that want to try something more adventurous, it is Adventure Weekend. However I'd suggest Friday.

Also please make it very clear to participants what they're signing up for. For this I'd recommend the trail leader inspecting each rig, if the trail leader feels the rig isn't appropriate it isn't going. I will support a trail leader who does that, I believe the club will do the same.
Last edited by Miner on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

Miner wrote:Might not be a good idea for Saturday. The main evening events occur Saturday night and a recall a year when two trail groups didn't arrive back until around midnight. I support those that want to try something more adventurous, it is Adventure Weekend. However I'd suggest Friday.

Also please make it very clear to participants what they're signing up for. For this I'd recommend the trail leader inspecting each rig, if the trail leader feels the rig isn't appropriate it isn't going. I will support a trail leader who does that, I believe the club will do the same.
This all seems perfectly reasonable. I think perhaps a post a couple of weeks ahead of who's interested and what they are bringing to the party will help narrow down the exact trail. I suspect timbers will be out but the other two I'm sure could be done by a well modified ifs truck. I forgot about Friday ;) that makes good sense as missing the party on Saturday due to broken parts would suck. I just didn't want to make it the same day as driving home. (that would suck more)
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

What size tires are you rolling on for them there trails?
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

For greens or the rock, I've done it in a locked jeep on 31s, 33s and open should be more than enough, provided the driver has experience and listens to the spotter (probably me)

Good skid plates are Mandatory, no kidding around, I don't want to drag someone all day because their transmission got busted in half on a rock.

If we go timber 3 (I'd love to if we have the trucks) 35s, locked both axles, and a WORKING winch. If we do that trail, and your truck has a weak link somewhere in the drive train, you will find it... Quickly.

Again all these tire sizes apply to jeeps, I'm assuming an equally equipped x or pathy can make the same obstacles.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

Having both an Xterra and a TJ, I can say the TJ on 33's is more capable than an xterra on 33's. Just my opinion...not saying you can't make an Xterra / Pathfinder very capable, but if you spent the same time and effort on a Jeep, you would be way further ahead in a Jeep.

There's many reasons I prefer a Nissan to a Jeep, but offroad capabilities is not one of them.

I'm open to doing these trails on a non-AW weekend as well...in a Nissan
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2007
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

Depending on how this winter goes with fixes i'd be up for a more challenging trail. for Greens or The Rock how different are these from Rocky Ridge?
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

BigRed44 wrote:Depending on how this winter goes with fixes i'd be up for a more challenging trail. for Greens or The Rock how different are these from Rocky Ridge?
So you know the ridge part of rocky ridge? Think about 3 to 5 hours of that kind of thing... Going up hill most of the way.

Another good example is to think of shoe lace and how you are always on, it's always somthing you have to pay attention to your line on... Its like that but is all like the ridge on rocky ridge. There is little to no gentle trail riding.