2016 Titan (Not XD) 390 hp 401 ft.lbs

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

2016 Titan (Not XD) 390 hp 401 ft.lbs

Post by Miner »

The new gas engine has been released for the 2016 Titan, it will also be an option for the XD starting in the spring.

Nissan Reveals New Gasoline V-8 for Titan Pickup
December 15, 2015 at 3:02 pm by Alexander Stoklosa (Car and Driver)

2016 Nissan Titan XD V-8
When Nissan launched the 2016 Titan XD pickup truck, it included only one engine choice at first: A mighty 5.0-liter Cummins turbodiesel V-8. The choice was easy for Nissan, which hoped to bolster the Titan XD’s in-betweener status—that is, burlier than a half-ton truck but not as over-the-top as a full heavy-duty model. Image sufficiently fluffed, Nissan has finally released details on the XD’s other engine, a gasoline-fueled V-8. The same engine will also slot in above a V-6 as the top-spec offering in the upcoming non-XD, half-ton Titan.

2016 Nissan Titan XD Endurance V-8
After a decade-plus run, Nissan’s VQ V-8 engine is being retired. The old engine previously powered the outgoing Titan, among other large Nissan/Infiniti products. For the gasoline-fed Titan, Nissan has whipped together a claimed all-new V-8 dubbed “Endurance” that shares its 5.6-liter displacement figure with the old VQ, but nothing else. Output is a strong 390 horsepower and 401 lb-ft of torque, up by 73 horsepower and 16 lb-ft, largely thanks to direct fuel injection, variable valve timing and lift, and a 11.2:1 compression ratio (versus 9.8:1).

Nissan adds that in place of the old Titan’s five-speed automatic, the new Titan and Titan XD using the Endurance V-8 will utilize a seven-speed automatic with a”downshift rev matching” feature. Endurance V-8s will be built in Nissan’s Decherd, Tennessee, plant. Pricing for the gas-fed Titan and Titan XD is still to be released; the gasoline-powered truck goes on sale this spring.

390 hp and 401 lb-ft is competitive with the current 1/2 ton trucks. I was hoping for more, but not disappointed with this.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Miner

Re: 2016 Titan (Not XD) 390 hp 401 ft.lbs

Post by Miner »

Looks like a detuned version of the VK56VD, which has been in the Patrol (400 hp, 413 ft.lbs) QX80 (400 hp, 413 ft.lbs) and M56/Q70 (416 hp, 417 ft.lbs). This is exactly the engine we were expecting, too bad that 5 years after its release they couldn't get a little more out of it. Hopefully these numbers are with 87 octane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VK_engine

Miner

Post by Miner »

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Post by Drizit »

At 11.2:1 that's edging out of the 87 octane area and getting into premium gas. If that's the case it's going to get expensive.
Miner

Post by Miner »

Direct injection cools the charge and reportedly allows for higher compression without detonation. However I do believe each VK56Vd to date has required premium fuel, but they've also developed more advertised power.

Miner

Post by Miner »

From the Titan XD specs the standard (possibly only) rear axle ratio with the VK56VD the 3.357:1. That's unacceptable a 3.55-3.73 should be standard with an option of the 3.357:1 highway gears and the 3.916:1 towing gears.

Polite words cannot described how unacceptable this is. Almost as bad as the open rear differentials in all the XD trucks, with the exception of the Pro-4x.

PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4x
Year: 2015
Tim's: Tea

Post by PhullD »

I am not surprised. Nissan can't seem to get anything right in any niche other than the boring soccer mom/grocery shopper one. They tend to get one "hit" vehicle, focus in on it and hash it out till it is so outdated no one will buy it. For cars the 370z is a bloated tired version of the 350z (which was really too heavy to begin with) and the GTR is getting old and left behind in the super car world. Nissan could easily fix that. But their focus is the Rogue. And now the Murano, and Pathfinder are basically the same now resulting in them competing with each other and you could get into the international Nissans and Infinity if you really wanted to.

Before this the Titan was getting left behind in the truck market, much like the Armada, Xterra and Frontier. I have never seen an Armada, Frontier or Titan commercial and I have only seen one Xterra ad from 2005 and I had to go to youtube to find it. Nissan used to have soul, look at their old commercials, they built niche vehicles and now they build average cars for average boring people. I have a feeling a lot of the poor decisions and direction comes from their partnership with Renault. I am also disappointed in reluctance to acknowledge serious flaws in design and issuing recalls (SMOD, weak m180 diff spider gears and half shafts, the aluminum m205 diff issue before 2008, the notorious flattened rear leaf springs, etc..).
Miner wrote:From the Titan XD specs the standard (possibly only) rear axle ratio with the VK56VD the 3.357:1. That's unacceptable a 3.55-3.73 should be standard with an option of the 3.357:1 highway gears and the 3.916:1 towing gears.

Polite words cannot described how unacceptable this is. Almost as bad as the open rear differentials in all the XD trucks, with the exception of the Pro-4x.
Agreed. If they wanted to do it right, anything with PRO-4X should come with diesel option, big brakes, tough ass diffs, lockers, 35's or 37's, 20 inch ground clearance and real skid plates. Anything with a towing package should have proper gearing, brake controller and big brakes and a diesel option as well.
Incognito27
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: Donut , Hot Chocolate

Post by Incognito27 »

I still love the motto " Everything you need , Nothing you don't " from the Xterra Commercials
Miner

Post by Miner »

PhullD wrote: Agreed. If they wanted to do it right, anything with PRO-4X should come with diesel option, big brakes, tough ass diffs, lockers, 35's or 37's, 20 inch ground clearance and real skid plates. Anything with a towing package should have proper gearing, brake controller and big brakes and a diesel option as well.
I disagree. If you want to use a Pro-4X off-road the gas option, which should weigh much less, is preferable. You really don't get a concept of weight until you sink a 7,000+ lbs truck. What would be desirable is if the Titan XD Pro-4X was given the heavier Titan XD axles, diffs and suspension pieces.
Last edited by Miner on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4x
Tim's: Tea

Post by PhullD »

I said diesel option...many people prefer diesel.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Just saw a white one in London.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Just saw one tonight. Looks sharp at night.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

When one says something looks good in the dark there must be an insult concealed!

Sent from my iThingy.