Jammed lock cylinder in lift gate

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Rhino
Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: XTerra
Year: 2007
Tim's: Hot Chocolate, eclair

Jammed lock cylinder in lift gate

Post by Rhino »

It took several days longer than I'd originally envisioned but I am now the proud owner of a 2007 XTerra!

I encountered one glitch that wasn't caught by the dealer and wasn't part of the safety: the keys won't turn the lock cylinder on the lift gate. I was going to take a stab at fixing that myself but wasn't sure if I should use WD40, graphite or something else. I did some googling and everyone's got a different fix and everyone seems to find fault with everyone else's recommendation. For instance, some swear by WD40, others say it is a very bad idea. Ditto for graphite powder, silicon grease, and several other substances.

Does anyone here have any experience with freeing a lock cylinder that will not even budge? I gather that the immobilizer hardware/software may have a problem with certain substances. Also, some substances may free a stuck cylinder in the short term but then cause further problems in the longer term by attracting dust, rust or whatever.

I don't want to cause myself an expensive repair by using the wrong substance so I'd like to know what *you* used that actually freed the cylinder, didn't mess up the immobilizer, and didn't cause any problems down the road for your Nissan truck.
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Re: Jammed lock cylinder in lift gate

Post by Drizit »

I've used spray graphite before on my in laws Toyota. It worked for a door lock but wouldn't free the trunk. Almost as soon as you spray it it drys and will never attract other crud. I'd start there as it's the least intrusive. If that fails then move on to something like wd40 or penetrateing oil, they may attract crud long term but you could also blast it with brake clean after everything starts moving. It's screwed anyway, what are you going to do, break it?
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

I have a similar problem that I am about halfway to fixing (remote door opener makes keys almost unnecessary).

I soaked the lock in PB blaster and was able to get the key into the lock. I still need to soak it some more to get the lock to turn with the key but this is a start.

You might want to replace the handle because the seal likes to leak which leads to the lock corroding. The part is not too expensive. You cannot buy just the seal.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Just take the cylinder and let it soak in a foamy corrosion agent for s day of two.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

How much is 's'? Is this an algebraic nightmare?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Rhino
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by Rhino »

Morpheus wrote:Just take the cylinder and let it soak in a foamy corrosion agent for s day of two.
1. I don't know how to get the handle off of the truck. I don't have a shop manual, just the owner's manual.
2. I don't have a garage or other place to lock the truck up securely while the handle is off the lift gate. What stops someone from opening the truck while the handle is off and the truck is sitting in the parking area behind the building?
3. If I can overcome the first two problems, what would you suggest for a "foamy corrosion agent"? A specific product would be *very* helpful; I don't recall seeing "foamy corrosion agent" in big letters on any of the bottles at Canadian Tire....
Rhino
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by Rhino »

Snafu wrote:How much is 's'? Is this an algebraic nightmare?
Sorry, I don't understand the question. I can't imagine how algebra has anything to do with a seized lock cylinder....
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

I was being a smart ass with Morhpeus' typing mistake :D

Shameless plug here but if you become a premium member then you have access to the service manuals :)

To get at the door handle you have to remove the panel on the door. Simple enough if you have taken off door panels before (i.e., remove all screws then pop the panel off). The door handle is held on with 2-4 nuts (I forget how many) plus you have to remove a cable between the handle and the latch. Once it is off then the lock is held in with a screw or two. In fact with the panel off you might be able to just remove the lock cylinder without taking the handle off...I do not remember; I replaced my handle with a new one and transferred the lock to the new one.

Once the lock is free soak it in PB Blaster...available at CT. Every once in a while try to put the key in and turn. If you cannot even get the key in (like mine) you need a small (i.e., micro) flat head screw driver or something equivalent to try to free up the tumblers inside the lock. Once free try the key again and try to turn the lock with the key. Then keep repeating until it is freed up.

For me it is not a priority with the remote lock feature. I have never needed to use the key to unlock the rear hatch.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Rhino
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by Rhino »

Thanks, Snafu. What does premium membership cost? What does the service manual cost if I buy it from the dealer or websites that sell them? I've purchased shop manuals for most of my vehicles over the years, although my mechanical skills were usually not up to many of the more challenging jobs, especially the ones that required exotic/expensive tools or hoists....

You're right, of course, I'm perfectly capable of unlocking the liftgate with the fob or the unlock button on the inside driver door handle. I just get a little anxious that one day I'll have some kind of electrical issue that keep all those from working just when I really need to open the liftgate. That's why I would prefer to get the key to work too, if I don't have to spend a fortune on it.
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Premium membership is $20 dontation. Don't know the cost online. Membership also has other privledges.

Good idea about getting the lock fixed. I have not had a problem (touch wood) but I should get to it sooner rather than later.

BTW you will learn that we love to joke around ;)
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Rhino
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by Rhino »

Thanks, Snafu! $20 for premium membership isn't too bad. That's surely less than the service manual would cost in a store, although I assume premium members are getting a PDF, not a hard copy, right?

I'm glad to hear that the group has a good sense of humour :-) There's too little of that these days with all the political correctness going around; you don't dare say or even laugh at anything for fear of the getting the stinkeye from some sourpuss ;-)
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Yeah it is in pdf form but it is linked in the documents. Open the index (idx) file and go where you need to.

Um, not too much of that here.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Post by Drizit »

Political what? Never heard of it.