Rattle at 3k-4k RPM

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4x
Year: 2015
Tim's: Tea

Rattle at 3k-4k RPM

Post by PhullD »

I've been having this issue since the first year I had my Xterra. It's kind of bothering me more and more. Any one have this experience? I'm thinking a heat shield or something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb2GvfrBL4Q
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Re: Rattle at 3k-4k RPM

Post by the x kid »

I those little things. I had a heat shield thing on my 03. Took it off. Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhullD »

the x kid wrote:I those little things. I had a heat shield thing on my 03. Took it off. Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it is a heat shield, I wonder if I could get someone to knock the exhaust while I sit inside the cab and be able to replicate it? I really hope that's all it is.
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhullD »

So while I will still try to diagnose the rattle by checking the heat shields, it appears another 2015 MT Xterra owner has already experienced an identical noise. It was a bad intake manifold runner valve or something. The Nissan dealer replaced the entire lower plenum. His video can be found here in one of the posts (#33): http://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general- ... ink-4.html. It is identical to my sound. I pray to god I won't have to fight with the dealer for this....
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

It definitely sounds like something in the engine itself, not a heat shield. At least that's what I thought when I heard it... I'd take it back to Nissan.

Side note; those Americans really distrust the dealerships and seem to always have huge rants lol.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhullD »

The intake runner issue is apparently a separate issue. As Adam mentioned his large rant made it confusing to understand. The clarification is a couple posts down in that thread.

Anyway, upon further testing personally and digging for older posts, I noticed the rattle goes away instantly when you touch the clutch while it is doing its thing. This leads me to believe it is an issue with the dual mass flywheel which previous owners also experienced. The springs that hold the assembly weaken prematurely leading to a rattling as the assembly spins at a certain frequency. The fix was changing the fly wheel.