Oh no, another canned ham!

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Oh no, another canned ham!

Post by Bow_Tied »

Thanks! :shy: We considered 50s style tiling (such as the black and white diner tile) but felt that would take away from the old time cottage look and feel the rest of the trailer had that we both very much like. The flooring is super easy to work with, all utility knife cuts (I used a box cutter style, but did change the blade frequently) tile cutters would work too. They cut a bit like dry wall, make a couple of heavy scores and they sorta crack open with a bend (depending on cross cut or rip and extra score may be needed). Becuase of the utility knife cuts, making a radius was not hard. Do take time to plan your layout so no strips are too narrow or short on the opposite wall. Start with something square in the trailer if possible and be sure to align the seams and press them tight together to avoid gaps (I have a couple). We are happy with the outcome though.

The bunk lights have the retro look we liked - the originals I think were more rounded shade and a chrome base (this is brushed nickel) but close enough for us.

Yes, radial trailer tires ST205 (not P205) - highly recommended as they have heavier sidewall and are designed to take up to 50psi. When I got the trailer it had same size car tires. I thought the pressure was low, but it wasn't it was at 35 - just side wallsag due to being old and below the proper load range. New tires have little sag in comparison. :thumbup:

I bought the tires @ Intruder Trailer, just East of London (Talk with the owner Dave Cook (same last name but not relatedn to me!), great guy though often busy) http://www.intrudertrailers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - tell him I recommended you. Cash payment might? be helpful ;) The tires (only) list @ $99 IIRC. Intruder can install them I think but they don't have a balancer - I recommend going a shop that primarily does tires for install. Typically trailer tires (at least utility trailer tires) are not balanced from the factory (I was surprised). Dave does recommend 15" and up be balanced, so I simply took the tires to a used tire place and paid the $15 install & balance fee.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

I changed the 1157 taillight bulbs to LEDs today hoping to reduce the electrical load on the truck circuit. Doesn't work out though for me as teh trailer taillight sockets point upward, instead of rearward, so the signals were almost impossible to notice with the running lights on. So I switched it back. oh well. :|

Got some other stuff done today though, painted the door step, changed the last light fixture inside, strapped some wires and hoses in better place and some other small things. A list of things to do tomorrow... :P
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Post by xrover »

Had my inaugral camping in the Scotty last weekend at CampNL. I was so happy we chose the hottest weekend of the year to be sleeping in an aluminum sun tan booth. I jury rigged an electric fan to the vent to pump out as much hot air as I could. In such a short height trailer, when the heat rises to the top, that happens to be where your head is! Overall it performed well. The trailer park folk behind us kept the noise levels up which with the windows open did not help. But I was a bit worried to tell them to shut up, heck, I had to ask them to hold back their attack dog just to turn the water supply on and off. The old man of the 3 generations that camp there caught me doing dishes one day and yelled out " Are you doing the dishes? Don't you have a woman to do that for you?" He was dead serious. I told him no, but I had a wench on the front of my truck!

Updated photos at http://gallery.me.com/lcater#100178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Len
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6