Oh no, another canned ham!

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Oh no, another canned ham!

Post by Bow_Tied »

Oh, and I 'd like to see a shot of the drop floor too. Is that a PO mod or is that original?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Post by xrover »

Dude, the famous drop floor. That is what the Scotty unique was that part of the design and thus allowed them to create a height to fit in the garage. Now on the garage topic, I finally brought the trailer to the house today. It is currently sitting half way in the garage. I have let the air out of the tires to 10lbs, however my hitch on the rover is sitting too high and thus the problem. I have to install a front wheel jack and then she will fit in. We unfortunately do not have the cantilevered style of garage doors, which takes about 2" away from the opening height. Regardless it is a tight fit for sure.
I will get some shots posted of the drop floor. Basically a framed box that sits between the frame rails and adds 6" of height in the cooking area.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Oh, yeah. :blush: They say when you get to be my age, the memory is the second thing to go. :teeth:

Maybe all you need is a drop hitch bar for the rover?
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

Yea, I actually have one, but for towing with the van I had it reversed. So I'll switch that around and see if it helps. It was not that tough to push even with 10lbs of air so using my car jack might be the preferred way to go. Oh yea, I installed the front wheel jack and that was only 2" lower than when it was on the truck as the jack itself has some height to it when fully closed. That was when I went to using my floor jack.
I took some shots of the drop floor and will have them posted later tonight.
Google NSSO and check out the rebuild section. It will show the drop floor on any of the 13' models. They as well have some Shasta's on there. It's the National Serro Scotty Organization.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Cool... looks like there is more or better net support for these than the Shastas which seems fragmented.

I looked at this link http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/rebu ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has some great pics. The hubcaps and rims look nearly identical to the ones on my shasta, though I suspect mine are not original.

Today we ripped out the PO's carpet install. At least he used underpad. The flooring underlay was a series of 10" pieces of 1/4" plywood. :roll: Ugh, dozens of nails. I am not sure what I am going to replace it with, but I will use screws I think.
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

Yea, that one was a real mess to begin with. Mine has more hope than that. I peeled some paint off the rear wall today as it was lose from some previous water and the wood looks salvagable under it to be stripped and ureuthaned(sp). The waste water and grey water tanks are not too expensive (looking at $70-100 for our size). I can see where they would have been mounted under the trailer. I don't have a lot of clearance so she won't be going off road anywhere. My first plan of attack is to get her ready for CampNL, so will do the following as a minimum:
- fabreze the crap out of it (done!)
- wash and launder the cushion covers
- remove rear corner strip and reseal.
- fix front dinette
- test rear bed
- cover drain hole so bug don't fly in

For the floor, I may use a bleached snap together flooring, or even go and pick out a nicely grained subfloor 4x4. I don't want or like carpet, so it's got to come out. I think it is easier and more waterproof to cut down new 1/8" sheets and lay them in. I may have to chop a bit off the bottom of the screen door.

If you have hubs and they say Serro Scotty on them, then we will be working a deal for me to take those off your hands. Mine are not original hubs and it would look silly if you have serro scotty hubs on a shasta. That's like me putting wings on mine! Oh hang, John Serro tried that one year, and got a letter from the Shasta lawyers. They are very rare to find.

I have updated the photos with the floor:

http://gallery.me.com/lcater/100163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Ok, then false alarm. While the hubcaps sure look the same, mine do not have any words on them. If they said Serro on them, I would have given them to you for some beer, lol, as they are pretyy dinged up anyway. I gave them a quick shot of paint, but ideally someday I want to get something better.

The carpet you have at least is a low pile style, the stuff I pulled out was not quite shag, but.... :confuse: I agree, carpet is not that smart for a trailer. It is gonna get dirty/sandy/whatever while camping, especially if one has kids. I was orignally thinking about getting some lenolium (sp?) which would have been easy clean-up, light and cheap. But I just wasn't crazy about the look. The original 6x6 tile look didn't do much for me either. We decided on some vinyl strip flooring from Home Depot. It has a wood grain look to it we like, that in our opinion will complement the wood interior and help round out that cottage feeling to inside. I know it is not original/correct, but we like it. It is not for everyone though as it is heavier than most other choices adding a good 50lbs to the trailer. It comes in strips similar in size to laminate flooring and and has overlapping peel and stick sections. It sticks to the next strip, not the subfloor (floating) so easy to remove if desired. It is supposed to be very durable in homes, so with the low use in the trailer I expect to hold up well enough and should be very easy to clean. May start into that next weekend.

I still need to get a fresh water tank too. Looks like it is a matter of finding the best fit size wise in a catalogue at a trailer supply place.
#MoreRon

SkinnyPedal
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Lexus LX
Year: 2006

Post by SkinnyPedal »

Somewhat off topic, but can you recent trailer purchasers out there let me know if I have to pay Ontario any of my hard earned $$ if I buy a used tent trailer from another Ontario resident?
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Yup. It is a registered item like a car. A private sale is 8%, dealer purchase 13%, just like a car. Welcome to Ontario :irked:
Last edited by Bow_Tied on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
#MoreRon

SkinnyPedal
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Lexus LX
Year: 2006

Post by SkinnyPedal »

Eff me...thanks Ron.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Although, unlike a car, there is no wholesale value crap. So you pay tax on the declared amount. :thumbup:

Don't forget to add I think it is $25? for a plate too... at least that doesn't require annual tags. Liability insurance is covered by the tow vehicle, but comprehensive is a separate coverage. If your trailer is worth something, this might be worth while, the coverage costs are not a lot.
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

On insurance, check your vehicle policy carefully as most insurance companies have a maximum $1000 payout on trialers, unless you delcare it seperately and thus play some more money.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

I am sure you have heard of this Serro Scotty group, but just in case...

http://serroscottycamperenthusiasts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

Yup, but the bigger group is the NSSO and they have some great links for rebuilds etc.
One of the local teardrop guys is organizing an outing to Warsaw caves up by Peterborough. I am seeing if a buddy want to bring his boys along. The weekend of August 8th.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Though 3 years newer, this is almost exactly what my trailer is supposed to look like. (restored)

http://web.mac.com/thomasinlanglands/iW ... /Blog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and for sale! He has about $9500 into he says....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :middle:ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

That is a sweet rebuild he did, but he won't get back what he put in for it. You can pick up a vintage Airswtream bambi for that price and still use it since it was built solid the first time. Having spent some more time on my scotty, I see why they don't last, although it is 47 years old. Aside from a solid frame and undercoating, the basic construction 1/2" plywood, with a thin layer of insulation and then the aluminum. No interior frame to add support. One guy on the boards was doing a full rebuild and the original wood he pulled out of his floor was stamped "do not stack more than 5 high". Apparantly John Serro would use any wood he could! When I rebuild mine, I will probbably go with 1/8" exterior plywood over a 1/2" rib frame, insulation inbetween the ribs, and then 1/8" birch on the inside!
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

I tend to agree that he won't get that price, especially in this economy - although, it only takes one person with coin to want it... and yes, Airstreams needing a little work can be had for less. So far our little Shasta seems ok but I am sure if I got to replacing panels I would want to re-inforce them. I fully suspect that in the 50s/60s no manufacturer dreamed they'd serve more than a 20 maybe 30 year life span (less in northern climes) and were likely designed as such. To survive as they have thus far is pretty cool.

I doubt I will ever 'restore' mine, but I hope to do an exterior paint some day, that'd make a huge difference.

Do you plan to get the available 1/8" birch veneer or pay the quid for real birch plywood (if it is available?)?
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

Birch Veneer for sure. But then about 3 coats of urethane or simliar product on it to give it the glow.
I am doing the maiden voyage this weekend for Scotty, so I was very busy doing some spit and shine on it.
My biggest problem with the beast is the rear side panels. There literally is nothing to support them and so anytime I go to raise the trailer, or it shifts off balance, the aluminum pops off. So now I have screwed in strips of aluminum (stair tread stuff) along the rear radius to hold it down as silcone and the edging strip just not cutting it.

The biggest improvement, was ripping out that carpet. I noticed early on when I was looking around in the trailer and down at floor level, I would come away with a hives all over my arms. It looks like it was mold in the carpet as I no longer have that problem with it gone.
The list of things I have now done to her include:
- fixed rear corner aluminum panels popping off
- installed new overlay flooring to hide the hideous mess found under the carpets - along with chrome looking tread plates
- made new rear bed (1/8" plywood was not going to work for my fat a$$) - went to 1/2" full size and hinged for access to storage area
- painted all new wood in white oil based - 3 coats
- installed trailer wide pine shelf above rear bed for additional storage and lateral structure support
- installed all new compact flourescent lights (no problem with vibration so far)
- rebuilt entire door step area as it was dry rot and actually fell apart when last trailering
- solidified the front dinette area as a number of support brackets had pulled out
- checked and greased axle bearings (bought some bearing buddies.
- tested the propane lines and applicances and they function. My fridge does not appear to work on 12v/120v so I will need to check that. Also took a 30lb new tank my parents were not using and put that in
- tested the water hookup last night, and once I found out all the draincocks the lines are good. But I have no grey/black water holding tanks.
- All electrical is now working as well inside and out.

I have decided that instead of mounting a holding tank I am going to go with the portable versions that you wheel to the dumping station to get rid of. It's an easy hook up for me to do the grey+black water to empty into it.

Final prep involves
- putting in 2 replacement windows that got broken (I pick those up today)
- final wipe down
- reinstall curtains and cushions

Things not done that I was hoping to have:
- no toilet use for CampNL - have to use the nasty bathrooms there
- even with the promise of CASH, the kids would not polish the side of the trailer

Any other tin cans going to Camp NL?
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Not going to NL here...

Here are some pics of bearing, flooring and lighting changes.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t199 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also have moved the sink to a different circuit (was on with rear bunks :confuse: ) and gave it a switch.
Add CFLs in two places, but the other two are on a dimmer (for now). Might remove the dimmer, unless there are dimmable CFLs?
New bearings are installed and greased as noted plus 3 new ST205 75 15 tires.
New safety chains installed (need to redo length)
New side marker lenses installed
new trailer harness plug on
brakes adjusted once, but need to recheck
brake controller in truck installed

Still lots to do though.
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

Did you get passenger car tires or trailer tires?
And where may I ask did you get them and how much?
And I really like the tiling you used. I never though of going with the woodgrain look. Hmmmm.
Love the Home Depot bunk lights. Very retro looking.
Good job!

Thanks
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6