New CB to install

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

New CB to install

Post by steelcityslicker »

I have just purchased a Cobra 19 CB and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for proper install. The instructions seem really easy but I thought I'd ask if there was a better way of doing it (or even easier way). I also have to buy an antenna and definitely a PA speaker. Any suggestions for those as well? (models and/or stores to buy from).

Sincere thanks.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: New CB to install

Post by Simon »

Installation is really easy. The instructions have you covered most likely. Make sure you use the constant power option, if you want it to keep your channel setting.

For an antenna, there are a million different trains of thought on this. I don't know enough about it to give you an educated answer, but I'm sure someone will chime in who does.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Rev
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

Run a dedicated wire from the battery to reduce noise (make sure to put a fuse right at the battery)
ground the unit
run your CB cable to the antenna. Easy as pie!
Finding a good place to mount it is the hardest part.

I suggest you get a whip or flexible antenna since you will be offroading.
I bought a cheap $15 whip that is superior to my $40 fibreglass antenna.

If you need further help you can bring it over here.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You can use a PA on that model, it needs to support that feature.

I think you've probably got the smaller one than ,e, but here's my install:
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Rev

Post by Rev »

We need to have a rookie CB mod day. Get all the n00bs in one driveway and supervise the installations. :teeth:
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

At Camp NL I used a borrowed 18" magnet mount whip antenna. I didn't have any time to do anything other than plug-n-play and it worked quite well. If trail communication with your own group is your only goal, it's amazing how little you need. You can easily avoid knocking your antenna on tree branches.

Because, before Camp NL, I had already bought a 3' Wilson Flexi and a Fourtreks ring clamp for mounting the antenna on the roof rack, I'm working on using a spring to create a weakest-link-that-also-adds-flexibility situation. I'll have to make it down to RadioWorld soon. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the whip, but not the magnet mount .

I should add that the guy in front of me on the first run had a 3 or 4 foot Flexi that he had mounted on the drvier's side such that he could tilt it across the vehicle to almost horizontal for densely forested runs. He had no complaints. I'll be able to do this with mine too.
steelcityslicker

Rev,
Could you please take a couple of pics of your cb install in reference to the wiring? It sounds very easy but I'd like to see it as getting over to your place maybe difficult due to time constraints and schedule (appreciate the offer though brother!). I figured anyone who would put that much electrical mods on their vehicle without it burning to the ground must know what they are doing! :lol: Where did you buy your whip antenna and which model did you get?

Xtrapol8, thanks for the info. I may just get a magnet/whip antenna for now as I don't have much free time to mount it unless you know of a really, really quick way of doing it? I don't even have my truck back yet from the lifts and steering I had installed plus I have to install the snorkel still too!!!!!!

I did pick up my new tires today though, I'm pretty darn excited I tell ya!

Nd4SpdSe, that install looks great. I like how clean it looks as if it were stock. The Cobra I bought is smaller but it doesn't help me any as it wouldn't fit in that spot because of my factory disc changer. In my head I like to think it'll all be a slick install but the reality is once again the time restriction so that means a quick temp job! And oh yeah, the PA. I absolutely need one of those to yell at the crackheads and the mooks in the Hammer!

Thanks guys for all your help I appreciate it. Anyone have tips for a snorkel install? :lol:
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Rev

Post by Rev »

I can't send you any pics because my photobucket account is down for a few days. :( It really is an easy install.

I know this is a different vehicle but it is all the same.

Here are a few threads from thenewx

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... cb+install" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... cb+install" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I went to radioworld and just got the cheapest whip antenna I could find. 4' stainless with a black coil bottom part. $15. The longer the better off you are going to be. Don't forget to tune it with a SWR meter. You need to borrow or buy one. They also sell radio mounts for antennas. Mine attaches to the hatch. I'd try a google search for different options.
dududuckling
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

Rev wrote:We need to have a rookie CB mod day. Get all the n00bs in one driveway and supervise the installations. :teeth:
I would totally be in for that... I've been looking all day long for a place to mount the CB. I'm actually thinking to get something similar to Dave, really small and compact... and I would totally need help and supervision in installing the CB and the antenna.
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
steelcityslicker

Andrew,
I can't say I'm up for that at least the way (Sgt) Rev meant it as I already have enough supervisors watching me on a daily basis. :) It should all be a breeze to install it'll just be getting the adjusting of the antenna that I'm really not familiar with. But, I think Rev will be more than happy to give on-line support if you, I or anyone needs it. He's good like that, that man of the cloth :thumbup:
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

:thumbup:
HotWod
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

I FORGOT ABOUT THE CB!!!! F@$(*)K!!!
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
Rev

Post by Rev »

steelcityslicker wrote:Andrew,
I can't say I'm up for that at least the way (Sgt) Rev meant it as I already have enough supervisors watching me on a daily basis. :) It should all be a breeze to install it'll just be getting the adjusting of the antenna that I'm really not familiar with. But, I think Rev will be more than happy to give on-line support if you, I or anyone needs it. He's good like that, that man of the cloth :thumbup:
I didn't mean it like that man! :rasp: I just meant 'supervise' as in be there to troubleshoot and help out. :)

I'm no expert but if I can help out I will. Many here helped me out when I didn't know anything about CBs. :thumbup: I'm not sure that my Masters of Divinity will help me with electrical work, although I have uttered a quick prayer or two.

People may find this helpful: http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steelcityslicker

Rev,

I do appreciate your input, really. My sarcastic sense of humour once again may not have translated to well into my last post! :blush:

I am going to take all of the advice from all including the pics and install the cb hopefully by the weekend. I'll give you a shout if something comes up.
Rev

Post by Rev »

:thumbup: Just didn't want you to think I was being bossy. :angel:

Now go and get that CB installed! All n00bs without one have to stay on the hydroline trail at AW! :P
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

As all of you guys know, I wanna get a CB installed too prior to AW. I might just put my inquiries on this thread as well (I hope you don't mind, slicker).

What do you think about getting CB from ebay? Is it reliable? I've only purchased stickers from ebay so far, but I was looking at Cobra 29 LTD with bluetooth for less than CA$150. It comes with the packaging, but I think its used. The new one in the shop is as much as $250.00, based on cobra.ca.

Also, my second alternative is: http://www.banoggle.com/products/cobra/ ... 6-xtr.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It comes with blue illumination, really bright and attention-seeking. What do you guys think? I saw this one on ebay as well.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
HotWod
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

Rev wrote:... All n00bs without one have to stay on the hydroline trail at AW! :P
I'll remember that big Fella ;-)
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

So I did some more research... is powering the CB radio straight from the battery in anyway more superior than the 12V adapter? Is one better than the other? I find that using 12V is probably easier, I have no idea how to power it from the battery. I looked up at thenewx.org threads that Rev posted, but it wasn't there.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

dududuckling wrote:So I did some more research... is powering the CB radio straight from the battery in anyway more superior than the 12V adapter? Is one better than the other? I find that using 12V is probably easier, I have no idea how to power it from the battery. I looked up at thenewx.org threads that Rev posted, but it wasn't there.

Running power straight from the battery into the cabin isn't always a great idea - good way to start fires. Unless, of course, you fuse it, but you still have to remember to turn the thing off every time you shut the vehicle down... Easier is to find a power source that's already in the cabin - like a cigarette lighter or a wire from the stereo, or from the ignition, so it is already fused and powers up and down.

Scott
steelcityslicker

dudu and Rod,

I spent a little more for my Cobra 19 only because I bought it from CT. I didn't have time to go to T.O. and buy it from Radioworld. The reason why I went with this cb is because it has all the basics and it is very small. I don't want it to be in the way plus I'm only going to be using it once in awhile. The bluetooth option seems frivolous seeing that most navs have that option as well as stereos but then again I'm not a techie kind of guy so if that's what ur looking for Andrew go for it! Plus, Rev needs competition in the "interior lighting" department :lol:

I did see a "Kyle Petty" edition cb at a truck supply shop. It was huge with lots of chrome and prob weighed 30lbs but it did have that "make a redneck envious" factor.