sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Re: 2nd Gen Diff Breather

Post by sandor »

leeman wrote:You guys already have shims to reduce driveline vibrations in there right?
I was wondering the same thing. Being a 1st gen owner, I don't know the in's and out's of the sloppy seconds (gen), but I heard that the shims help with the vibrations.
dark_knight
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra OR
Year: 2006
Tim's: Med Hot Chocolate

Post by dark_knight »

I have 2" spacers up front and a 2" AAL in the rear with 2* shims. My vibrations are minor now but once I machine some 3* shims I think they'll be gone for good.

I only have 2* shims because I got them for free. Most 2nd gen owners recommend 3* at the least.
leeman
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Year: 2005
Tim's: Medium Reg.

Post by leeman »

Oh ok. Your vibration is minor right now anyway .. Did you guys get/install camber bolts with your lift kits?
2005 Xterra Offroad - Cobra 19 CB radio/Goodyear Wrangler Territory 32"s/2.5" Calmini spacer lift/1.5" Calmini AAL/Pro Comp Extreme 7189s
dark_knight
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by dark_knight »

leeman wrote:Oh ok. Your vibration is minor right now anyway .. Did you guys get/install camber bolts with your lift kits?
I got cam bolts before lifting and had them installed at the dealer (the old ones were seized into the LCA and they had to be torched out)

Rev didn't install cam bolts but I think he has them now, yet to be installed. Cam bolts are essential if lifting.

My vibrations were pretty bad but I did some messing around and after the AAL has settled a bit the vibrations are almost gone. They are seriously annoying though so make sure you buy shims and install them!!
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

dark_knight wrote:
leeman wrote:Oh ok. Your vibration is minor right now anyway .. Did you guys get/install camber bolts with your lift kits?
I got cam bolts before lifting and had them installed at the dealer (the old ones were seized into the LCA and they had to be torched out)

Rev didn't install cam bolts but I think he has them now, yet to be installed. Cam bolts are essential if lifting.
I had it in to the shop Tuesday, but the parts guy gave me the bolts but not the washers. So when Bigbird, John, got it apart he realized the issue. He easily took the bolts out and sprayed them before putting them back in. I had sprayed them with fluid film a couple times over the week previous, but I think they were pretty clean anyway. As soon as the washers come in I will take it back and have them installed. Should take about 20 minutes for them to do it. Then I'm going to Woodbridge Alignment.
leeman
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by leeman »

dark_knight wrote:

My vibrations were pretty bad but I did some messing around and after the AAL has settled a bit the vibrations are almost gone. They are seriously annoying though so make sure you buy shims and install them!!
Well I hope mine aren't seized! I took a quick look a them and they look fine, and I have yet to find out if my 05 X already has cam bolts from the factory. It was manufactured 01/05, so prob not but I'm crossing my fingers!!!
If you did pay, how much did you guys pay (Rev in your case, the washers only..lol) and where?
As far as the shims, they come with my lift kit; I may need extra ones which I can easily take care of at my buddy's garage/machine shop.
2005 Xterra Offroad - Cobra 19 CB radio/Goodyear Wrangler Territory 32"s/2.5" Calmini spacer lift/1.5" Calmini AAL/Pro Comp Extreme 7189s
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

When I ahd Revs truck in the air I checked his truck for the camber bolts. They werent bad at all. I loosened them up and retightened them and sprayed them down. When he gets the rest of the camber bolt washers I'll install them for him at work.
Rev
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

leeman wrote:
dark_knight wrote:

Well I hope mine aren't seized! I took a quick look a them and they look fine, and I have yet to find out if my 05 X already has cam bolts from the factory. It was manufactured 01/05, so prob not but I'm crossing my fingers!!!
If you did pay, how much did you guys pay (Rev in your case, the washers only..lol) and where?
As far as the shims, they come with my lift kit; I may need extra ones which I can easily take care of at my buddy's garage/machine shop.
About $80 for the bolts (4 bolts) and $10 for the washers. Check your bolts. Are the washers round or oval. If oval they are adjustable. The 05's had them I thought. Maybe not all. Start spraying them now.

John, I just got a call that the washers are in. I will make an appointment to take it in next week.
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

Alright man, I will see you next week.
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

Leeman, I pretty sure you should have them. I think 05 and some 06 had them from the factory after that you had to get them yourself. Thats my understanding anyways.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
leeman
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by leeman »

From what I've heard they discontinued the adj. camber bolts midway through the production of the 05 Xterras, and since they start production in 04 and mine is 01/05 production date, I think I'm SOL :thumbdown:
But I'm still hopeful!
Damn Rev, if only I found out sooner! I JUST started looking for prices on the adjustable camber bolts kits because of the lift I'm getting. I found camber bolt kits (4 bolts, 4 washers, 4 nuts) for $56.75 at eNissanparts.com and $57.50 at nissanonlineparts.com
dark_knight
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by dark_knight »

I got my camber bolts and washers from the dealer. Was less than $90 for sure and they are quality grade 10.9.

Leeman, If your truck was manufactured in January 2005 you'll probably already have cam bolts installed. Just like Rev said, look at the bolts, if the head of the bolt is off the center line of the washer, you have eccentric cam bolts already, if the head of the bolt shares the same center line of the washer, you have non adjustable bolts and will need cam bolts. :thumbup:

Rev- Glad to hear yours aren't seized, that's a sigh of relief!
leeman
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by leeman »

Ok, I'll have to check them bolts tomorrow so I know if I should order them with the extra wedge shims from 4x4parts I'm getting for my lift kit. That way I'll have everything I need when I install the leaf springs and spacers :thumbup:
Not looking forward to having to pay for an alignment though lol..
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Looking at the breather on my 1st gen, it looks like it has a cap on it...
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

like this...
I had this thing bolted to a cross-member. Although it is mounted to highest point under the truck, it can still let in water, so now mine is no longer under the truck. Replaced it and the hose with a longer hose to up and behind the tail-light like others have suggested.
steelcityslicker
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

Very artsy photo Pete. I don't think I've ever seen a diff breather captured with such feeling. I think I'll call it: "The Fall of the Apparatus". Good job Pete. Image
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

It's not mine, I stole it from the interweb...but thanks man :thumbup:
steelcityslicker

No..... Thank you Pete...... Thank you. :tims:
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

sandor wrote:like this...
[url]http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8790/dscf5741ub5.jpg[/img]
I had this thing bolted to a cross-member. Although it is mounted to highest point under the truck, it can still let in water, so now mine is no longer under the truck. Replaced it and the hose with a longer hose to up and behind the tail-light like others have suggested.
As we discovered on the mod day, me nor did steelcityslicker had this on ours. We have a capped vent and that was pretty much it. Jayman, those fittings worked perfectly. I didn't do the front diff yet, and it does have a factory breather, but I'm not expecting to off-road anymore this year, so no rush on working on that in the cold weather.

I ran the rear breather to the passenger side tail light. Actually there's 2 capped off holes there, so I used the top one. The hose is almost a perfect fit, but it's not tight, so I'll just put in a bead a silicone.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
steelcityslicker

Michel,

Where did you get the diff breathers from? Is there a part number? I meant to ask you when you showed them to me but i was distracted by the gear oil on my pants :lol: