Time to replace my battery...

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
X-werks
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2000

Time to replace my battery...

Post by X-werks »

OK Folks -

After 5+ years its way past time to replace my Optima Yellow Top. I am willing to go and get another yellow top as it has never let me down, but was wondering if anyone has any other options....
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Re: Time to replace my battery...

Post by Nismojunky »

motormaster makes a deep cycle battary someone was testing it out i cant remember who simon might know
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

The Pezzinator has one in her truck, and I put one in last weekend. No troubles so far...

It's the Motomaster Eliminator Spiral Grid Battery:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... attery.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbup:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

Thats the battery I am running and I think it actually clocks in at over 1000CCA's. :cool:
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

I've got the same one, think I've had i tfor about a year now give or take a little. Seems to be a great battery. I have left my radio on all day long before while camping and expected to jump start it and boom she fires up each time. Good buy IMO :-)
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Although I have had nothing but good experiences with my yellow top (and a Red in the Jeep) I won't go the route of the yellow when mine dies. I suspect quality control has gone to the Big Red Machine on the other side of the ocean, and nothing good will ever come of it.

This suspicion arises from too many people with too many bad experiences in recent months/years. Remember, I used mine in conjunction with Simon's to run his welder, and it didn't need a boost after that to fire up the truck (neither did Simon's). I love the thing, and ache when I think of the day it finally gives up the ghost.

I just don't trust the new Yellow.

SScott
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

PiDGE wrote:I've got the same one, think I've had i tfor about a year now give or take a little. Seems to be a great battery. I have left my radio on all day long before while camping and expected to jump start it and boom she fires up each time. Good buy IMO :-)
My dad has one in his r50, came with the truck when he bought it in early 05. And its still going strong now.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Scotto wrote:Although I have had nothing but good experiences with my yellow top (and a Red in the Jeep) I won't go the route of the yellow when mine dies. I suspect quality control has gone to the Big Red Machine on the other side of the ocean, and nothing good will ever come of it.

This suspicion arises from too many people with too many bad experiences in recent months/years. Remember, I used mine in conjunction with Simon's to run his welder, and it didn't need a boost after that to fire up the truck (neither did Simon's). I love the thing, and ache when I think of the day it finally gives up the ghost.

I just don't trust the new Yellow.

Scott
The very reason I chose to get something other then the Yellow top. It seems that more and more the Optima batteries just aren’t made like they used to be. I looked at getting an Odyssey, but they are EXPENSIVE, and not available everywhere like the Eliminator is.

And considering the Eliminator has a 10 year (pro-rated) warranty on it, it’s tough to beat. 3 years free replacement, no questions asked, then 7 years pro-rated. That’s BETTER then the Optima warranty.

You can also get dual terminals for the Eliminator as well, which comes in handy when hooking up accessories like lights and stereo stuff.

The secondary posts are apparently not recommended for winch connections though. I believe, although I’m not certain, that it has something to do with the secondary posts not being able to handle the draw from the winch.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Okay, ckecking out this thread, cause it looks like my battery just died 20 min. ago,and this CT battery looks good to me,but I'd like to know about the dual terminals? Educate me...cause I could get a light bug like Rev.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

It's got top terminals and side terminals. Useful for hooking up extra accessories, and not making a damn mess of the fusible links and connections at the top terminals only.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Adam

Post by Adam »

and it looks like this

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Got it thanx.
Rev
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

FWIW my bluetop from Costco is doing great 6 months later (and I've run my ARB fridge, roof lights etc off of it quite a bit).
Nissanboy97
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1997
Tim's: 2c 3s w/ B.C.

Post by Nissanboy97 »

I wanna get some sort of yellow top, i have an Interstate right now because when i bought the truck i thought they were the best, but its been 2 years and ive been through two of them, and i can see the loss of power since i added my 1200watt amp with the offroad lights, and the iluminated DVD switch. Although, i have never liked ELIMINATOR stuff, i have always had bad experiences with them.
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

My Odyssey has been flawless.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy
Year: 2001

Post by 01R50 »

My Pathy still has the original battery from the factory in it. Very surprised that it has lasted this long. The mechanic at the dealership even commented on how he found it strange that the original one was still in there. Truck starts great every time, even in -20 temps.

I will be changing it this year as I am planning on adding some accessories which will most likely put a higher strain on the battery and I don't want it dying in the middle of a trail or something.
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

My X also has the original battery; works fine for what I need to do right now.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Nissanboy97 wrote:I wanna get some sort of yellow top, i have an Interstate right now because when i bought the truck i thought they were the best, but its been 2 years and ive been through two of them, and i can see the loss of power since i added my 1200watt amp with the offroad lights, and the iluminated DVD switch. Although, i have never liked ELIMINATOR stuff, i have always had bad experiences with them.
The Eliminator spiral core battery is made by Orbital, and carries the exact same specs as the Orbital Extreme battery. Just letting you know, as some Motomaster products are made by better companies than others.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

And it's pretty tough to beat the warrant on the Eliminator. This was one of the main reasons I chose to purchase this battery. If I have any problems with it, anything, I bring it to the store, and take a new one off the rack. My local store is 5 minutes away from the house.
Adam

Post by Adam »

With the eliminator batteries, even if you don't have the paperwork for it, which is required to get a free replacement, the guy will usually give you half off on a new battery.