Winter

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: dd

Winter

Post by nathan »

Well I don't know how many of us crawled out of bed this morning to see snow! I was shocked. Any ways I came to find out the my MT Baja Claws are not too great for stopping on icy stuff. So here is my question, I currently have my psi @ 35 should i for the winter lower that? If not should I even use them for the winter? And also being new to owning a 4x4, is there anything I should keep in my truck for the winter time? Keep in mind I am not loaded. And is there anything else that over the years any of you have learned about recovery for winter months and stuff like that.
2" BL / 31 MT's on DC-1 RIMS, 2 100 WATT AND 2 55 WATT ROOF MOUNTED LIGHTS
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Winter

Post by Simon »

Definitely air them down. That will help. Especially if you've got a "commercial rated" tire, they're probably VERY stiff, and could go down to 20psi or so. Anything with a load capacity over 2000lbs per tire, would be what I consider commercial. On ice, any MT will be worse than an AT, or regular all season radial. The problem is there's little to no siping in them to help the tires bite on ice.

I won't run my MT's in the winter, although, some do. Personal preference I guess. :shrug:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

I don't know this tire, does it look like this?

If so, and please - I mean this only in due regard for safety, don't run these in the winter. I see, as Simon mentioned, no siping on those tires for water/ice. I think these tires compared to a basic all-season would be poor in icey/wet conditions, freezing rain, hard-packed snow and light slush when the temp is at freezing.

If you must run these tires, talk with guys who do run these tires in the winter to determine appropriate inflation and I suggest experimenting in a safe area to find the limits of these tires.

Good luck.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed. Off-road tires aren't designed for all winter weather. They'll work great for deep snow, but the don't have siping to deal with the wetter winter conditions, nor do they have the softer compound ideal to keep the tire grippy in sub +7*C weather, wet or dry.

Also, the M+S ratings on tires, even with the severe snow rating, does not mean they are a proper adequate winter tire. It just means that it meets the minimum rating for winter tire certification.

I personally have a set of true winter tires. I actually just put them on this past weekend. Myself, as would most who run winter tires would say; once you run winters, you won't go back.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

Bow_Tied wrote:I don't know this tire, does it look like this?
Yes sir this is the tire.
Now I agree to a point that I should get new tires. I am not pleased that I got them and need new ones :irked: But safety is safety. So got any recommendations.
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

Without any siping on the tread you should put on a set of winter tires.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

If you have to spring for tires, you may as well get a set of dedicated winter rubber. Pick up a set of rims too, Medic is selling a set of 5 fairly reasonable.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

Yeah ill get winter tires, and rims I have a set. Sorry medic! But I don't know what name brand to get. I don't care about noise or look just how they work.
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Hey, don't let us dictate to you, just wanted you to be in the know. There are people that run MTs in the winter and live. The coulple I have talked to don't recommend it and say it can be very dicey on ice etc.

If you want really good ones, Toyo Open Country G02s are ~$200/tire. Artic Claw snows are around $120 each which is a lower end, but not discount, winter tire. CTC or tire rack may have cheaper stuff yet, I think I saw WinterforceUV on tire rack for $77 (+ship etc). I am leaning toward the artic claws for price reasons.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I have and I think medic got a set too last year, but we got Yokohama Geolander I/T's as our winter tires.

In reality, any cheap snow tire works worlds better than a good all-season. I've got some buddies that own a tire shop, they sold some cheap Wanli's last year and from what their customers have hold them, they worked excellent.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

I ran my Destinations last winter and they did ok, but I'd really like winter tires for ice traction. Thos big lugs are pucks on ice.
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

Bow_Tied wrote:Hey, don't let us dictate to you, just wanted you to be in the know. There are people that run MTs in the winter and live. The coulple I have talked to don't recommend it and say it can be very dicey on ice etc.
No doubt, I think I could make it but after today and sliding a tiny bit, I had to ask and by asking I wanted info. so thank you for the info.
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Black

Post by Feds »

Kijiji, craigslist, kijiji, craigslist, tirerack.

Keep an eye on the classified sites... There are often used sets of winter tires on rims in the $3-400 range.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

I've run my Trxus MT's the past two winters, and although they did "ok", I know that I would be better off going with a dedicated winter tire.

The Trxus MT's do have SOME siping in the treads, but it's minimal at best, and in comparison to a winter tire, well there really is no comparison.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

This comes up every December. I've run the Truxus for three winters now, and am pretty happy with them once the snow actually settles in and it stays cold outside. Where they tend to be a bit dicey is the two or so weeks at either end of winter, when the snow falls into a slush pattern that gets packed into a thin layer of ice. Like yesterday. Things are a bit squirrelly, but nothing terrible.

As an aside, I've come to accept that my Xterra handles no better than a tractor, and probably doesn't even corner or brake as well as any decent riding lawnmower from CT, with or without a really good tire.

As for the Claws - they remind me of my TSLs, and I won't take them on the road in the winter.

Scott
HotWod
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

Sweet, I have the baja Claws too... But this vehicle is worldsabove the last winter vehicle I had, regardless of tire choice :-D
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I just ran at 26 psi with all seasons last winter and was fine. I'm looking forward to see how the BFG at's will handle, though I'm looking for 2 used winters (already have 2) because my parents are whining.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
steelcityslicker
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

Adamzan wrote;
I'm looking for 2 used winters (already have 2) because my parents are whining.
Adam, I've never heard of that brand of tire before. Perhaps the chords have shifted?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

Well I got a price on tires. around 485 for all four instaled balanced and taxes from some place in t.o. Going there ill save almost 200 so if anybody else is looking for some tires here is the link.
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pts/1469833658.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rev
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

nathan wrote:Well I got a price on tires. around 485 for all four instaled balanced and taxes from some place in t.o. Going there ill save almost 200 so if anybody else is looking for some tires here is the link.
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pts/1469833658.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What kind and size tire?