Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier
Year: 2000
Tim's: xl t/t

solid axle swap

Post by BaTmAn13 »

so I am thinking to myself wow 4WD would be nice right about now. and since I want a solid axle real bad I was wondering how hard it would be to install one in my truck. I have a 2000 Frontier Desert runner (I know it is 2WD right now). It is a solid truck and it is at the point now where I don't have to worry about scratching the paint (not to sure if I would wheel a new xterra or something along those lines). Thought I would get some info from all of you

here is what I know right now

- I need an axle. I am thinking about harvesting one or two from a Jeep Cherokee or Land Cruiser unless there is something better that I should be using
- I need a 4WD transmission. I want to find out if a 6spd xterra transmission will fit if not 5spd (I need one of these anyways mine is half way F...ed
- parts not to sure what I need yet in that department
- wisdom never done anything like this before have no clue where to start and I am pretty sure I can not duck tape the stupid thing on

anyhow any tips or horror stories greatly appreciated

cheers
:ugeek:
in the event of an off road emergency ......gas and lots of it
avacado
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Frontier SE Crew
Year: 2004
Tim's: XL 2x2

Re: solid axle swap

Post by avacado »

That's a big job for sure. Calmini sells an SAS kit, you have to source out your own Dana44 out of an old Wagoneer or somethign like that, but from what I read it comes with everything else you'd need. However, that kit is designed for a 4wd truck. Since you're starting with 2wd, you'd also need the transfer case, driveshafts, etc. I don't see any reason to change the transmission. This would not be a cheap project; I've done a fair bit of reading on similar ones and if I had to guess, I'd say you'd be looking at a $4000 investment plus labour. '

With all that being said, it would be very cool. Can't wait to see the build thread.
2004 Frontier SE Crew
32" BFG M/T's
Cobra CB
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Go buy a Jeep. For the amount of crap (never mind the $10,000) you would have to go thru for a truck that won't work when you're done, you would be miles ahead with the purchase of a stock TJ. Or a YJ if you want square headlights. Or for cool factor, an old CJ.

Scott
Last edited by Scotto on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Honest question: How much $$$ you got? SAS projects are NOT cheap, there is a lot of work to be done, and no matter which way you slice it, it's going to cost. Just putting that out there.

With fabrication skills, you can do a SAS for way cheaper then paying someone else to, but even then, you are still looking at a good chunk of change.

You could purchase a kit through Calmini, but you still need to source an axle for the front. You need a driver's side drop, non-vacuum actuated axle. The axle that is most commonly used is out of a Jeep Wagoneer from 1986 - 1990, because it is close enough to the same width as the stock nissan rear axle.

Now, unfortunately our board isn't the greatest resource when it comes to SAS projects, seeing as until recently, we've only had a couple of members that have completed a SAS on their trucks.

I do a lot of reading over at Nissan4wheelers.com, so what I've learned has mostly come from there. There are tons of boards out there, but I find N4W is one of the better places to get info about completing a SAS on a Nissan. They have a section specific to SAS tech / hardcore projects, and for the most part, the majority of the rigs over there are SAS'd projects.

Good luck, it's not cheap.

:thumbup:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

All you need to know about SAS'ing a Nissan. He usually does Pathies and Hardbodies, but the premise is the same.

http://www.nissannut.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
mookie
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Pathy
Year: 1990
Tim's: Lg dd

Post by mookie »

Simon wrote:All you need to know about SAS'ing a Nissan. He usually does Pathies and Hardbodies, but the premise is the same.

http://www.nissannut.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, read Ryans stuff! Read lots!
Everyone has already put in the great posts about a Sas. I'll just mentioned a few things that you may want to keep in mind.

Doing it yourself or going with a kit, you can end up being nickle and dimed to death on the project. If you are hands on, there will be some tools to buy other than standard hand tools, new gears and gear setup costs (if you can't do it yourself) drive shaft costs (this is important to do your research on and what type of shafts ie. maybe an s.y.e if you keep your stock rear shaft and modify it so you only pay once for your shafts), brake lines, brake line adapters, steering box if you aren't keeping the stock one, so add in for frame sleeves if going that route, new shocks or coilovers, metal costs, cut off blade costs, grinder discs, and a whole crap load more of steering components, different master cylinder to fill those new calipers, etc. Some of this stuff is small like the cutting discs, but it still takes money away from the core of your Sas project. Your budget will most likely double or even triple after all said and done. So many little things come up.

Another thing to remember, the more modified your truck is, the more maintenance/upkeep there is. After the project is completed (it really never is) you will then be debugging the truck to your personal likes. Since you are now Sas'd, its natural now that you tend to start to refine/tweak things more and more 'cause at this point when you do trails you are completely wheeling now with a completely different mind set and focus.

The advice on keeping your truck for a daily driver and picking up a project 4x4 is something to keep some awareness on. Get something you can wheel now, and then mod it up as you go. There have been a few 2wd conversion to 4wd Sas'd Frontiers on the various Nissan boards in the last 4-5 yrs, so you should be able to find those builds on the net. What a great project to do, but keep your eyes WIDE open if you proceed. It costs a crap load of money.
'90 Pathy solid axle -35's ,5.38s,D44's f/r,Chevy 63" rear,Waggy 6 pack front

VE6BEE
VHF-2m, 70cm (4x4 wheeling frequency North America: 146.445-simplex)
HF - 20m and 40m
BaTmAn13
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by BaTmAn13 »

all very good points ....

I think I am going to have to sit down and crunch some numbers I might just run this truck into the grounds (so to speak) as it is and when it finally dies (if that is even possible) I will grab another frontier with a naturally aspirated 3.3 and swap my parts over (headers, exhaust and intake). Thanx for the tips guys defiantly gave me allot to think about

steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

Hey guys,

I have to agree that going through some of the other websites down south is a really good idea. Some of those guys are doing stuff that's pretty crazy and some innovative. I'm sure that if you dig around a bit you will be able to find a write up on the exact SAS set up you want. Maybe you'll have to look up a 2wd to 4wd conversion thread separately? But it's out there. And someone else has paid for that free education.

As you know I did not build my own SAS. I did however, reap the rewards of someone else's time, research and money but lost out on the education from the build. My bank account thanks me though. Considering all the costs one would be way better off being able to do it themselves (obviously) but if you know exactly what you want and have an existing build thread to follow you would just need a shop to weld it up for you rather than the shop charging for resourcing and research. For me, I just bought an SAS with a free Xterra attached to it.

It is a completely different beast and like Jay said it will be a constant project but that is exactly what I wanted. My truck will not be a daily driver once I move and have a longer commute. I'm sure other trucks are done far better than mine resulting in a more refined truck. I really don't care about that but some will.

I think once you dig deep in those other sites you'll know if it's something you want to tackle.

Here are some sites I've been through taking up most of my free time making me pretty much a hermit.
http://nissantrailriders.com/forum/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/index.php?www" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.roninwheelers.com/vbulletin/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!! I too look forward to seeing your build thread!!! :thumbup:
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Rev
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

Scotto wrote:Go buy a Jeep. For the amount of crap (never mind the $10,000) you would have to go thru for a truck that won't work when you're done, you would be miles ahead with the purchase of a stock TJ. Or a YJ if you want square headlights. Or for cool factor, an old CJ.

Scott
I'm with stupid... I mean Scotto.

:angel:
steelcityslicker

The only problem with that is that if I wanted to buy a Jeep I wouldn't have joined a Nissan club. Go with a Toyota at least. Far better than a Jeep and some already come double locked from the factory. At the end of the day they're all fun!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
BaTmAn13
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by BaTmAn13 »

yeah I am looking into getting a set of axles thinking that might help me at leist get the gear ratios right (probably looking for something of a 90's jeep grand cherokee). as far as buyin a kit goes I have looked at the parts in the kit and there is nothing there I can not make at work I mean I have a full fab shop to play in. still trying to figure out the transmission and the steering thing not to mention find a place where I can do it and have a welder (might have to bring my old boss a case of beer and see if I can use his shop). So it sounds like I am going for a trip to the junk yard some time next week (or next month) anyhow I will let ya know>

cheers

Nismojunky
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

JGC axles are very weak they probally will brake the shafts running 33's tires

your best bet is to get a set or 80's wagoneer axles of also know as a zj
BaTmAn13
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by BaTmAn13 »

now I am kicking myself my dad had an 80's dodge power wagon (big ass truck) asked me if I wanted it but I said no (because it had been sitting for as long as I can remember) now I am thinking those axles would have been perfect

darn

Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

an old ram charger? yea those axles would be good
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Seems to me there's a misunderstanding here between the two of you. You're both easy going guys, both with a good sense of humour. I don't think there was malice or negativity meant by either of you, yet, it seems both of you perceived it.

On the Jeep thang......

Agreed, a Jeep can (or any other type of 4wd) is always welcome with us. I believe Dave's point was that if he has owned a Jeep, he wouldn't have searched for a Nissan club. To be honest, I can't see why anyone with a Jeep would. :shrug:

That said, we do have lots of friends of members join up here, driving all different kinds of 4wd vehicles, and stay, seemingly, forever.

To Scotto: You're right, a Jeep would be easier. But if I wanted to be like 99% of wheelers in North America, I'd already own one. You'd be A LOT more unique in a SAS'd Nissan than in ANY Jeep.

Not to mention, I couldn't afford a vehicle who's name bears the acronym "Just Empty Every Pocket" :lol:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
steelcityslicker

BaTmAn13, sorry to jack your thread man. Not what I intended. I hope your quest goes well and you find the info that you need. If you ever need to look over the one i just bought for reference let me know.

Members, sorry to go off like that. The last thing this club needs is internal squabbling and such so I apologize. Simon, thanks for taking the time to clarify things.

If I could ask a favour of one of the moderators and have you just remove my entries to this thread I would appreciate it.
BaTmAn13
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by BaTmAn13 »

hey how tough are dana 44's
Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

35" tires to 38" tires depending on how much torque u put on them
Nismojunky

Post by Nismojunky »

http://www.purenissan.com/s_a_s__system1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that will be your easyest way in sasing that truck im looking at the same kit but for the wd21 ive already picked out my axle now jsut talking about price, the calmini kit takes alot of the guess work and swearing out of the equation
steelcityslicker

Found this link for you if you haven't seen it already. A great resource for sure.

http://nissantrailriders.com/forum/view ... f=10&t=593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;