I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Titan CC offroad
Year: 2006
Tim's: not sure

Re: solid axle swap

Post by lookzcustoms »

forget the SAS nissan swap too much $$$$, find yourself an older dodge or gm truck at the junk yard(maybe even a diesel) that already has solid axles, preferably something with a rotten body and just swap the nissan body onto the frame

that way u will get a heavy duty truck that will have a beefy transfer case, tranny, engine, axles, and all U have to do is move the body over, plus u can probably sell all the nissan left overs and get some $ back

it might sound :crazy: but i think that way u will be able to run big tires, u will have more power, and it will still look like a nissan :D

or maybe i'm just :crazy: , :thumbup:

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Ligh ... &r=ontario
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

I found another link for ya. Just click on the "mods" section on the left and then go into the 4wd conversion. It can be done but it looks like big bucks!!!

http://home.sprintmail.com/~onlyone/frames.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Simon wrote:
To Scotto: You're right, a Jeep would be easier. But if I wanted to be like 99% of wheelers in North America, I'd already own one. You'd be A LOT more unique in a SAS'd Nissan than in ANY Jeep.

Not to mention, I couldn't afford a vehicle who's name bears the acronym "Just Empty Every Pocket" :lol:
I hear ya' Simon. I was using the Jeep thing as a sort of generic, "Why not just do this?" thing. Don't forget, I'm a guy who decided to put a Chevy 350 into a Jeep. Just cause you can. And I do enjoy having a vehicle that is unique. If I had the money and the gumption, I would try to SAS my truck.

As for the Jeep acronym - there's a couple others:

Junk Engineering Executed Poorly
Just Eats Every Part
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Black

Post by Feds »

As a guy who's done some fairly involved swaps, you're best to work in pre-engineered chunks. For example:

Rather than buying a transfer case, and figuring out how to adapt it to your trans, buy a whole 4x4 trans, including driveshafts. Or better yet, a whole 4x4 parts truck. That way, you can see all of the differences between your truck and the 4x4, and you won't drive yourself crazy looking for clips, sensors, and adaptors.

For the front axle, same deal: buy a whole donor, rather than just the axle. It will make it easier to get replacement parts (you know exactly the year/make/model), you'll have good reference for what you should be aiming for in terms of mounting points, and you can steal the front driveshat so you are not trying to find/match yokes and pinions. Plus,l you know what ends to put on your brake lines.

With the axle and the engine in, plus driveshafts from all your donors, it's dead simple, and relatively inexpensive for a shop to fab you a driveshaft to match your t-case to your axle.

it's more cash outlay upfront, and you'll need more space to store your donors, but you can easily make your money back parting the vehicles you use as donors.

But over all, make a plan. Detailed. How exactly is each part going to connect to the other. What tools and skills do you have, what will you need, who will do the work you can't, etc.
opensailor
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Jeep TJ
Year: 1999
Tim's: Large w/milk

Post by opensailor »

Have a look at this link,

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Scotto, my old jeep CJ had a 350 as well. But, of course it shreaded the vehicle in the end but man it was fun........
BaTmAn13
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Frontier
Year: 2000
Tim's: xl t/t

Post by BaTmAn13 »

yeah I am starting to look at the money side of it and It looks like I might be getting in over my head I think what I will probably end up doing is buying a cheep suzuki or something like that wheeling it until my truck dies then buying another frontier or xterra with a 3.3 v6 (naturally aspirated) and swapping allot of my parts over. or buy a beater jeep one of the two

cheers

:ugeek:
in the event of an off road emergency ......gas and lots of it
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Aha!!! We have a convert!!! Woohoo - another one pulled to the dark side :teeth:
tankhunter
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2001
Tim's: 2s 1 c

Post by tankhunter »

BaTmAn13 wrote:now I am kicking myself my dad had an 80's dodge power wagon (big ass truck) asked me if I wanted it but I said no (because it had been sitting for as long as I can remember) now I am thinking those axles would have been perfect

darn

:ugeek:
wouldnt work with those axles right hand side drop ( power wagons )