Recon 10500lbs winch

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra OR
Year: 2006

Recon 10500lbs winch

Post by CanadianX »

So while trolling ebay I came across a winch, the Recon 10,500lbs electric winch with remote, fairlead hawse, 7/16th synthetic line, wired & wireless remote. Did some reading up on what was offered, called the company and got a warm and fuzzy so i bought it. The deal was $399 (now $475, can prob still get it for less) +shipping from California to NS for about $110. I'm wainting on the UPS broker fee to find out total costs.

Anyway after getting this winch I went looking for accessories, snatch block, tree saver, d-rings that kind of stuff. Holly smokey the snatch blocks can be pricey! I went back to the vendor asking what kinda deal he could offer on these, he said he would work out a pkg price and offer a coupon code. Another mbr on the newx.org forum is a engineer, he order the same winch so I'm real curious in hearing his thoughts on it (ie junk from overseas, good quality stuff or something in between) plus I plan to use the poop outta mine and see what happens...really test the 3 yr warranty that comes with it.

If a coupon code is forth coming I'll post it up and also once I find out the total cost to get it here I'll let everyone know.

I approached this guy with the intent to build more vendor relations for the underserved Nissan market and for the self serving notion of group buy prices!! haha Anyway waiting to see what comes of it. More to follow.

Ebay Link: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Recon 10500lbs winch

Post by Simon »

Let us know what you think of the winch once installed, and what your total cost was. Always good to have more options. :thumbup:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by CanadianX »

A little update on the winch deal. I spoke with Justin at Truck and Winch and he set up a page on his web accessed via the link below. Deal is for the winch as previously described and winch accessories. I may get my some swag for posting this up, provided he sells some, just so everyone knows my stake in this.

I should have my winch on the 18th but won't have it mounted for a few weeks while I wait on my bumper. A few of the guys on thenewx.org site have bought this winch so they may post up reviews before I do. If so I'll post them here.

The link: http://www.truckandwinch.com/recon-10-5 ... h-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers
HotWod
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

Post up what the dudes who have used this winch think! I'm interested... Look at all the stuff that comes with it :-D
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy
Year: 2001

Post by 01R50 »

Price is pretty decent. I also like that it has the synthetic cable instead of the steel stuff.

Might have to smash open the piggy bank :teeth:
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by CanadianX »

Ok in keeping with my desire to get some free swag from the vendor in exchange for posting up the info...here's the whole deal. I found the winch on ebay, contacted the vendor to try and get some info and make sure it was for real. I ended up buying it after some R&D. Shipping cost me $110 to NS. I'm not sure what duty and brokerage fees will be but will advise once I know (Should have it next week). No time limit on the offer, as long as he has supply he'll honor the deal.
I've posted the on thenewx.org forum and here so right now these are the only two sites that have the link.

I can't speak to quality for two reasons, one I'm not a technican by any stretch and two I'm hoping to get some free stuff by posting this up for the vendor so I have an interest in this. Like I said previously I will post up any reviews that come off the newx.org site from the guys who bought the winch.

Winch & Accessories pkg for $475 (USD)
The deal is avail via this link: http://www.truckandwinch.com/recon-10-5 ... h-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Includes:
Recon 10,500lbs winch with:
- 88' of Synthetic line with a 6' protective sleeve
- Wired and wireless remotes
- Fairlead Hawse
- Winch is waterproof to 1m
- 3yr warranty

Accessories Include:
- Snatch Block rate to 16,000lbs
- 10' tree saver strap rated to 15,000lbs
- Two 4.75ton d-rings
- Neoprene winch cover

Pic:
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

That winch looks very similar to the winches sold by Duncan (http://www.titanwinches.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) only, painted black. Made in China, I believe. That said, if the importer has done the research and product development that Duncan has (extra seals, better components) you may have a decent winch for a good price. My Titan Winch has been good to me, though, I did have one problem with the solenoid, which was replaced free of charge.

If not, it may be a $475 piece of junk. I hope this isn't the case. Time will tell.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by CanadianX »

I hope it's not a piece of junk as it's going on the front of my X soon! :)
Seems to have the right stuff, series wound motor, solenoid is IP67 rated for dust and water, 3 stage planetary gears
The clincher for me was the 3yr warranty, cause if is crap I'll ride that warranty like a donkey!!
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut

Winch arrived!

Post by CanadianX »

Received my winch today..or rather UPS attempted delivery so I'll pick it up tomorrow. Broker fees including tax and duty was $114.95 So my total cost for this winch is $675Cdn. Mind you if you buy under the deal posted here add $75 for the accessories and a few more $ associated tax. So figure maybe $750 and change including shipping, taxes etc with the accessories as offered. Not to shabby.

Waiting on the bumper to test it out. I'll post up some vid when I do.
HotWod

Post by HotWod »

AWESOME!!! I'm excited as hell to see this bad boy work! I'm gonna hve it shipped to our warehouse is Niagara Falls to save some brokerage
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by CanadianX »

Got my winch today - everything as advertised. Had a moment of panic as some one thought it wouldn't fit a shrock works bumper. Made a few calls, it fits the Shrocks, Iron Bull and KMA. I don't know about ARB but I'd assume they wouldn't be any different. Things I didn't know - in each of the bumper the winch mounts feet fwd vs feet down. Makes sense as you'd want the load on pulling on the front of the bumper and not on the mounting bolts.
Pics (Lewis has to be on everything. He was road kill that my wife rescued now he lives the good life)

Bumper arrives around he 28th. Install and testing that weekend or the following.
offroadaction
Make/Model: Umm...yeah...
Year: 1972

Post by offroadaction »

Interesting...I am looking forward to seeing how this works out.
Wes Kibble
http://www.bajanorth.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy
Year: 2001

Post by 01R50 »

I am pricing out accessories for my pathy and I will be very interested to see how this works out. Looks pretty good so far though.
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by CanadianX »

01R50 wrote:I am pricing out accessories for my pathy and I will be very interested to see how this works out. Looks pretty good so far though.
I'm interested too!! My bumper is in Kansas on route to me. UPS still has it slated for delivery on the 28th but I seriously doubt that it'll arrive then, we'll see. I was pleased with the weight of the winch, didn't feel like 60lbs at all, I'll have to verify. Free spooling action works nice and smooth as does the clutch engagement - at least when I pulled it out by hand a few feet...heh heh.
HotWod

Post by HotWod »

Man, look at all the cool stuff that comes with that thing! Hook that thing to a battery and see what it sounds like! Did the Puddy get shipped up from Kansas with the package? Thats not gonna be good for the Canadian Ecosystem. I'm pretty sure thats how 'Possums got up here. Did you know they don't actually play dead when you grab their tails?
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: dd

Post by nathan »

Well when you get it all instaled make sure you give a really good review. I am looking at a shrock bumper too, and I am very intested to see if this winch will work well.
2" BL / 31 MT's on DC-1 RIMS, 2 100 WATT AND 2 55 WATT ROOF MOUNTED LIGHTS
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by CanadianX »

I hope the winch works heh heh. Spoke with Jim at Shrocks and he said it'll fit the bumper. When I do get everything installed I will def post up some vid with the winch in action. If you note in my original post I'm getting some free swag for passing along the info so I don't want to get into a sales pitch - so video demo and my thoughts on the install in a winch bumper.
BTW - not sure what your time line is for deciding on a shrocks, the wait as you probably know is very long, try AC (4x4parts.com) you might luck out as they order up 3-4 a year on spec. One guy (only one) put his order in with AC and received his bumper 2 weeks later. Others have waited 7 mths.
CanadianX
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by CanadianX »

Alright, let me say that I was intending to make a video compilation using the winch in a number of diff situations. Next let me also say I was excited to get out the door and try the winch out AND it was sunny AND I'm failed to anticipate two simple rules.
RULE 1 - If you have a wireless remote for your winch and it comes with a battery, replace the battery with a new one. The existing one is an unknown as far as how long its been in there and what charge it may be holding.
RULE 2 - Even if you have a wireless remote always - ALWAYS - bring your wired controller. In fact when the thought occurs to you to, say toss it in the back of the truck cause that's were it belongs always, you should do that.

So shot some video and then the battery in the remote died - reaffirming the 2 above rules. Not shown in the video is my humiliation as I wrap the 30' of line around the bumper for the drive home. There an error in the video as often happens in first takes and first time use of the winch as a first time winch owner (you can imagine it was like sex for the first time in some regards, awkward, exciting and over far to soon) I state that you have to hit the 'power in' button again to get it to stop - not true, just take you finger off the button.

Here's the vid: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd19 ... 130093.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: dd

Post by nathan »

not that i am an expert or anything, but are you not supose to be using the winch with the truck and not letting it do all of the work. Besides that it looks sick, I wish I could get a bumper that looked like that.
2" BL / 31 MT's on DC-1 RIMS, 2 100 WATT AND 2 55 WATT ROOF MOUNTED LIGHTS
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

Nice going, sounds like a hellava deal wow. Lesson learned with the remote deal.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies