Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder[s]
Year: 1980's
Tim's: Large Hot Chocolate

Re: Lift for my X

Post by Ozzker »

Jayman wrote:Good thing about this though, is that you can replace the upper ball joints with ones from Napa or PartSource, and get a lifetime warranty on them.

:thumbup:
Are these stock Xterra Balljoints or a diffrent type?

And thanks guys, I really do appriciate all your help, advice, guidence, and personal experiances. Dave, I realize that your truck isnt the best truck in the world, dont worry! :thumbup:

I have spent the better part of my day so far reading and researching more on diffrent SL and AAL setups and such. I will keep reading and have alot more to ponder myself on. Any more questions I have, I will for sure post up here because you guys have been great at helping me, thats why I asked in the first place!!

I am looking for what I think my needs are and what should do me the best for my uses, Im not trying to replicate anybodys truck, sorry Dave if I made it seem that way!!!

Anyways, I hve just one more question for now that I havent been able to answer yet, with a regular AAL VS a 3-leaf AAL, would the 3-leaf cause the truck to be more prone to tipping then the regular, or vise versa, or does it not make a diffrence?
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Ozzker wrote:Are these stock Xterra Balljoints or a diffrent type? ?
I'm not sure what kind of ball joints come with the kit from AC, but they lasted about 3 months on my truck, which lead me to believe that they aren't the greatest ones you can get. I have read about others having similar issues as well. It's not an expensive part to replace (about $60 per side), so I wasn't TOO worried about it. Remember that although AC builds a lot of their stuff, they also pre-package stuff to make things easier for the end user. I think adding the Ball joints in is something they do for convenience, but they don't spend a ton of money on them. You could always call and ask them what the price would be without the AC joints, and then when your kit arrives, start off with lifetime warranty ones from Napa or PartSource. The ones that match the lift kit are for the Nissan D21 Hardbody pick-up.

Ozzker wrote:Anyways, I have just one more question for now that I havent been able to answer yet, with a regular AAL VS a 3-leaf AAL, would the 3-leaf cause the truck to be more prone to tipping then the regular, or vise versa, or does it not make a diffrence?
Although the difference is minimal, adding a lift does raise your centre of gravity ever so slightly, making it a tad easier to tip or roll over. As for which one is MORE or LESS prone, I don't think there is really much of a difference. The 3-leaf AAL is by design, inherently stiffer then the stock pack, so it's going to provide at least a bit more stability in cornering then a regular AAL, but I very VERY much doubt that anyone would be able to tell the difference.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Jayman wrote:I'm not sure what kind of ball joints come with the kit from AC, but they lasted about 3 months on my truck, which lead me to believe that they aren't the greatest ones you can get. I have read about others having similar issues as well. It's not an expensive part to replace (about $60 per side), so I wasn't TOO worried about it. Remember that although AC builds a lot of their stuff, they also pre-package stuff to make things easier for the end user. I think adding the Ball joints in is something they do for convenience, but they don't spend a ton of money on them. You could always call and ask them what the price would be without the AC joints, and then when your kit arrives, start off with lifetime warranty ones from Napa or PartSource. The ones that match the lift kit are for the Nissan D21 Hardbody pick-up.
So the ones That I would want from Napa/Partsource are D21 Hardbody ones? Do you have these on your truck now, and if so, how long have they lasted so far? lso, you wouldnt happen to have a link or part number to them would you, to make sure Im looking at the right ones!!

And thanks for the information on the AAL packs, thats exactly the information I was looking for!! :)
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Well, the ball joint is the same as the ones used on the Pathfinders, as well as the Hardbody. @ Partsource is't PN# 10424

http://74.208.162.181/part-source.ca/it ... W&weight=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Napa's American website shows them as PN# NCP 2601219

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 90+2090039#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only problem with the Napa site, is that the Canadian stores don't use the same PN's, but at least you can see what it looks like.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Thanks Jay!! :D :thumbup:
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

Jayman wrote:I'm not sure what kind of ball joints come with the kit from AC, but they lasted about 3 months on my truck, which lead me to believe that they aren't the greatest ones you can get. I have read about others having similar issues as well.
Wow. Here's hoping that mine last a little longer than 3 months. My SLR UCA's came with Genuine Nissan balljoints, even tapped for a grease fitting. Hope they hold up as well as the ones on the truck now. Part number corresponds to a WD21 Pathfinder/ D21 truck.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ozzker wrote:I have spent the better part of my day so far reading and researching more on diffrent SL and AAL setups and such. I will keep reading and have alot more to ponder myself on. Any more questions I have, I will for sure post up here because you guys have been great at helping me, thats why I asked in the first place!!

I am looking for what I think my needs are and what should do me the best for my uses
Reason why I would say take it easy and not jump in so deep so you don't have to worry about it too much.

My recommendations would be start with a PML and BL and go from there. BL you will need if you plan on running anything larger than a 32" tire anyway, so that will more likely be on the short-list regardless. Then try the PML, only just shackles anyway in terms of parts. Wheel like that for a season, get a feel for the truck and what it's capable of and do any more upgrades from there. It should be easier and make more sence on which kit you want to get after that.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

Ozzker Myer wrote;
Im not trying to replicate anybodys truck, sorry Dave if I made it seem that way!!!
Don't say sorry man, it's all in fun. ;) You are at a great stage right now because you get to choose which ever direction you want to go with your truck. By the way, the 2000 X that was posted for sale on kijiji in London has Ultra wheels as well, slightly different and in silver. They are also 15x10's, mine are 15x8's. Just another option for ya!!! :thumbup:

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLarge ... ageIndex=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Mike, I know that a PML and a BL is an alternative, but this is the summer before I go away for uni, so If I can't get my lift done this spring/summer, I wont be able to afford it for at least the next 5 years, thats why I would like to do it now! :)

Dave, I was on the Ultra wheels Site last night, and amazingly enought, those are one of the sets of wheels that I really liked, they are Ultra 5051's. I also liked a Baja style wheel, and another Baja Style on the Ion Alloy Rims website!!

I know what the diffrence in rim width will do on a sports car, but how does it affect our trucks, for example, what would the diffrence be between running 8" rims all around or 10" rims? Wouldn't the 10's be much harder on the steering and drivetrain components?
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

10's will likely rub like hell on the inner fenders up front, stick with 8".
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

If you want to see the "hammer/cut off wheel mod" for the inner fenders, come by my shop and have a look :) . I'm using an offset wheel (15x8) and had to "make" them fit. I would stick to OEM offset, close as possible, if I were you.
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Bamboozled, I'll gladly take you up on your offer sometime next week!! The more I go and se the better!!

Also the wheels im looking at so far are all 15x8, 3.75" backspace (as recommended by AC lift), and -19 offset (as seen on Daves truck).
steelcityslicker

Which I'm sure my "hammer/cut off wheel mod" is very much like Bamboozled's!!! 15x10's likely won't fit well without spacers. No need to go 15x10's unless you are going wider than a 12.5 tire or planning on running the 12.5's really, really low in pressure on the trail. Which is not something you would need to do on the trails we go on.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Okay, So 15x8 is is!! And I have no doubts I can pick up some nice lighty used tires to fir, wither off of Kijiji or at my local Parts shop, they always have used offroad tires!!

As for tire size, I have been looking at 33x12.5x15, this is the correct size for a 15x8 rim right?
steelcityslicker

You should be good with that tire size if you are getting the 2" B/L and 3" S/L. Cutting, trimming and hammering included.
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Thats the plan, It wil all be going on at once, so hopefully I will be able to use your "more experianced" cutting, trimming and hammering!! :P
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ozzker wrote:Mike, I know that a PML and a BL is an alternative, but this is the summer before I go away for uni, so If I can't get my lift done this spring/summer, I wont be able to afford it for at least the next 5 years, thats why I would like to do it now! :)
Well then do it! :thumbup: Image
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Thanks Mike!! :D
weerd 1
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Drewbicon
Year: 2013
Tim's: always

Post by weerd 1 »

First things bushings are the only difference between the lifts. Crapilini bushings last twice as long as AC but they are twice the cost. I have installed both and it is the same other than bushings. When it comes to shocks bils are good I killed ranchos in less than 18 months. Rear leaf pack depends on the wheeling you want to do. I only have 2 extra leafs in my pack. I want to flex in the rocks. Get skids from shrockworks before anything you need protection or all the lifting will cost you new engine or tranny