Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2001
Tim's: Tim Who ?? hahaha

Thermoplastics CV Boots for R50

Post by fleurys »

Well, I finally took 1 hour of my time and assemble my first cv half-shaft with new boots made from thermoplastic. Thermoplastic is a blend from plastic and rubber that can withstand higher and colder temperature. It also resists better to puncture and tear.

The rockford thermoplastic boots are made from a patented blend called santoprene made by monsanto company : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santoprene" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My adventure started when one of my boot teared. Went to check what was available and choices were not that great. I checked the ones from a pinzgauer which also has an ifs, and his were made from thermoplastics. At the time I did not know anything about this material. My friend told me that they were very resistant and seeing him going to places I would not dare (at least not at the time :-) ), I beleived him and started to learn about the stuff.

My research brought me to RockfordCV ( http://www.rockfordcv.com/rcvboot.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) which is the only company I found that carries cv boots for nissan pathfinder. Unfortunately, they did not have anything for R50 (96-2004). They only had boots for 87-89 and 90-95.

Not stopping there, I decided to do some reverse part number searches. I looked at the EMPI catalog for part numbers for the boots of 90-95 pathfinder vs 96-04...no luck.... then I hit the jackpot... The 87-89 pathfinder EMPI cv Boots part number are the same than for a 96-04 ! Bingo...

Called rockford cv and ordered 2 sets of their 87-89 boots. (part number : 166-21 and 166-23). I decided i was going to take the plunge and see. The boots are about 11-13$ each.

I decided to rebuild my OEM nissan shaft with them instead of rebuilding the EMPI crap (that barfed out it's grease 4 days after I installed it!).. I trust a lot more the oem nissan even though there is some surface rust on it, I feel more confident with them..

They fit like a glove and have a nice tight fit around the cv. Was made to go there !

So here you have it : the first (I think) R50 half-shaft with thermoplastic boots. For now they will not go on my truck just yet. I'm keeping them for spare until I put my front strut spacers which will put the cv at more angle. This should be a good test.

All pictures here : http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71 ... d-cv-boot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foreground = rockford (santoprene) background = EMPI (shiny (crap) neoprene) You can see the difference with the material. The thermoplastic is a lot less shiny and a lot more stiff. It is also noticeably thicker.

One Life...So many trails !
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Re: Thermoplastics CV Boots for R50

Post by Jayman »

Interesting!

Websites added to my favourites list for future endeavours...

:thumbup:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

good to know
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy

Post by 01R50 »

Yeah I need to change mine. This is what I found when I looked under mine last week:

I am just going to replace the entire cv assemblies just to be sure as well. Then new better boots to go on them.
Last edited by 01R50 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Tim's: Regular

Post by rmarles »

Just ordered a set for myself; my boots were shot! Will let you know how the install goes :)
There's a Simpson's quote for that.