Headlight bulbs

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Jayman
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Headlight bulbs

Post by Jayman »

So I'm at Canadian Tire last night picking up some replacement headlight bulbs for the truck, and I was astounded at the cost of the fancy Silverstars, Nighthawks, etc etc super bright headlight bulbs.

I have been purchasing these fancy bulbs for the past couple of years, and noticed that the prices have steadily risen on these things, to the point where I am tired of paying so much for a bulb that seems to burn out WAY sooner then the el cheapo versions that I was buying before.

I've been averaging about 1 bulb every 8 to 12 months, and I've grown tired of shelling out $70 for the pair, every time it happens. I replace both at the same time, and keep the one that didn't burn out as a spare.

Anyways, I decided last night that I wasn't going to waste my money on the expensive bulbs any more, and ended up buying the CT ones for $9.99 a piece. I figure if they last even half as long as the fancy ones, I'm still ahead financially.

So I wondered, what is everyone using for headlight bulbs? Anyone found a bulb that seems to last longer then the others?

Discuss... :geek:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Headlight bulbs

Post by Simon »

Cheapos. Same reason as you mentioned. The fancy ones burn out way sooner.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
nige
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

$7.99 9004's from walmart. I usually get around 2 years of life from them, and i replace only the side that burns out.
OF4WD Member #5472
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

In my old headlights I replaced one with the CT cheapo and it worked fine. I smashed a headlight and replaced both housings with some spares another member had and they have the original factory bulbs in there :o

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

I stopped buying the expensive ones a while a go due to price and the life and how many times people flashed their high beams at me. Our headlamp housings do not have enough ventilation to handle these hotter bulbs and then they crap out= not worth the money.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Yep, coating on the bulb to make them look pretty but reduces usable light output. Up the power of the bulb to compensate for said reduced light output. Higher power outputs means reduced lifespan.

I use anything that doesn't have a coating on it (silverstars, etc.) which usually means it's the cheapies from CT or Partsource.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Funny this comes up - I was in Fergus last night and blew a bulb, replaced on the side of the road (always have extras). Anyhoo, I just use the cheapos from Crappy Tire. Usually get a year out of one, unless I smear it with finger grease on the install, then about 6-8 months. Seems that the driver side lasts longer than the passenger side, which is fine with me, as I have to take the grill out to change the driver's (snorkel thing blocks access from engine bay.)
X-Treme
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

Post by X-Treme »

My truck still has the original bulbs from the factory. I have a spare I bought from the dealer the day I took delivery of the truck still sitting in the glove compartment. I think the OEM bulbs are plain Sylvania 9007 (HB5) and when it comes time to replace a burnt out one I'll stick with the plain low-cost ones as well.
Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
HolidayNation
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

Headlights? I don't need no stinkin' headlights.....

I am only on my second set of bulbs since I bought the truck, and being Scottish, they are the el cheapos
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm running Sylvania Silverstar Ultras :blush:

I even run the Sylvania bulbs in my fogs. :blush: :blush:
I run the 55w rather than the 35w ones. Manual says 55w H3, but I had 37.5w 899, so I put in 89x 55w

I just really love how bright the light is, how clear the road and surroundings are and the detail of a snow covered road. got flashed twice on Monday night mind you (and I'll flash back), but I've put so many miles driving that I hate dim/useless headlights, especially when it rains. Call me weird, but I just like to use what betters my driving experience, even if it means to cost that bit more.
In my old headlights I replaced one with the CT cheapo and it worked fine.
Don't you have it when you buy new bulbs and it turns on, but no light comes out? lol
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Geoffrey wrote:Funny this comes up - I was in Fergus last night and blew a bulb, replaced on the side of the road (always have extras). Anyhoo, I just use the cheapos from Crappy Tire. Usually get a year out of one, unless I smear it with finger grease on the install, then about 6-8 months. Seems that the driver side lasts longer than the passenger side, which is fine with me, as I have to take the grill out to change the driver's (snorkel thing blocks access from engine bay.)
Thankfully the one that I have that is burnt out is the passenger side, but that one is still a pain in the neck because my winch wiring runs through the same area, making changing the light more difficult.

I haven't had to change the driver side one since I put my snorkel on, but I don't think it will be an issue as I'm still using the stock intake box.

And I've had the same reasoning as you Michel, for using the higher output bulbs because they do light up the road better then standard bulbs. The trade off has always been bulb life, and with the cost of gas continuing to go higher, I'm less and less inclined to spend extra $$ on the truck unless it's going into a serious mod or repair.

Part of my reason for not being willing to spend the extra $$ was because I was actually purchasing bulbs for two vehicles, the truck, and our second vehicle (Dodge Stratus) which just happens to use the same bulbs as the truck.

I may have been able to swallow spending $70 on one set of bulbs, but dropping $140 at CT for 4 headlights was beyond what I was willing to open my wallet for...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
lowridah313
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep Liberty Sport
Year: 2008
Tim's: XL DD with milk

Post by lowridah313 »

GE Nighthawk Platinums for headlights and HIDs (4300k) for the factory fogs
2002 Nissan Xterra SE SOLD
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet
Simon

Post by Simon »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: Call me weird, but I just like to use what betters my driving experience, even if it means to cost that bit more.
I wouldn't call you weird, selfish maybe, but not weird.

While it may "better" your driving experience, it worsens that of anyone else around you. Take the hint if you're being flashed. Your lights are either improperly aimed, or the bulbs are creating a horrible pattern that's blinding to other drivers
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

I used to get the flash all the time when I drove my Spec V. Stock bulbs, nothing modded at all, they were just really bright so people thought I had my high beams on.

Although I know what you are saying Simon, I've experienced what Michel is talking about.

As it stands right now, I get flashed in the truck because the rear end has settled enough that the headlight throw pattern is higher then they are supposed to be, so it shines in people faces instead of just on the ground.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yep, if I could flash my taillights at you, I would have, as having you drive behind me was quite annoying. :lol:
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Simon wrote:Yep, if I could flash my taillights at you, I would have, as having you drive behind me was quite annoying. :lol:
You aren't the first to say that...

Gotta get my revolvers sorted out.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I'm going to ignore all this stuff about you guys flashing other drivers after being flashed.

What I still think is odd is that each and every time something on Jayman's truck stops working, the same exact thing happens to mine. This does not seem to happen from me to Jayman.

I need to consult my Buddha-guy and ask him what I did to Jayman in a past life to deserve this Karma.
HolidayNation

Post by HolidayNation »

Geoffrey wrote:I'm going to ignore all this stuff about you guys flashing other drivers after being flashed.

What I still think is odd is that each and every time something on Jayman's truck stops working, the same exact thing happens to mine. This does not seem to happen from me to Jayman.

I need to consult my Buddha-guy and ask him what I did to Jayman in a past life to deserve this Karma.
Not all the time brother, Jay's battery didn't cack at AW.......just sayin' ;)
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Mmmm. Good point. EDIT FOR LANGUAGE POLICE INTRUSION: A **I have a filthy mouth, pass the soap** of a good point, if I may add before the language policia see this. END OF LANGUAGE POLICE INTRUSION.

I'll bet his battery died shortly before though, as he had all the part #s, and the price of the unit, locked and loaded in his cranium.
Last edited by Scotto on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HolidayNation

Post by HolidayNation »

Um, dammit I do believe u are correct. U must have been a very bad geoffrey in another life
OF4WD-5557