t846176
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1995
Tim's: XL Double Double Decaf

A few questions to consider for a Pathfinder

Post by t846176 »

I have a 1995 Pathfinder. XE

I am wanting to buy some new tires soon. Right now I have 235/75/15. I have heard that 31x10.5x15 fits with no modifications, it is a difference of about 2 inches in height. But I am interested in 33x12.5x15. Now I know I will need a lift for that.

Where can I find a suspension lift? I am not interested in a body lift. I seen a pathfinder near me with a body lift and it doesn't appeal to me.

I also know that I will need some offset rims. What sort of offset do I need to clear the inner fender?

With 33's is the power loss significant? I don't want to loose too much in mileage.

I have also had a problem since I bought the vehicle with the Tach. It is very irratic and seems to stay in one spot until the next time you start it. I have heard of a resistor that is somewhere, and could be corroded. But I have not been able to find it. Any thoughts? I would like to get it working again.

I have a fuel smell that is more noticeable when the vehicle is just shut off but you can notice it when the vehicle is running as well. I have checked the ground for fuel leaks but I can not see anything. When I remove the gas cap I usually get a hiss from pressure build-up. Any ideas?

Thank-you
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Re: A few questions to consider for a Pathfinder

Post by Nismojunky »

hey 33's can not fit with out a body lift well let me rephrase that they can but need alot of trimming done. as for suspension lift there is only one way thats to crank the torsion bars, cranking them will affect your BJ angle so Aftermarket UCA's are recommended id go with Rough Country Hard body UCAs , For the rear Pick your self up a set of V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Coils (Front ones) cut the pig tale off and install them they will give u Three Inchs in the back. Powerloss is noticeable more so on hills at highway speeds, Gas milage will be affected quite a bit higher rpms required to get it moving and up to speed. The Tac is a problem on almost all of these trucks best bet is to swap it out for one from the junk yard. Gas smell check if the seem of the tank is leaking on the sending unit on top of the gas tank is leaking. Offset for rims id go with 3 3/4 back space with a .75" offset. if you plan on running 33'S your going to need to beef up out steering setup, Hoohaa CL from Grassroots4x4 will help as well as a idler arm brace from 4x4parts.com will help out too

another good website for infomation is http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?act=idx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

What he said ^ .

I would like to add that for the tach you can try taking the cluster out and see if you can tighten the brass screws on the back, they apparently affect the grounding. I haven't had this issue but it fixed the tach on my friends 94.

For the gas leak, I would see if you can tighten up the clamps on the fuel lines under the hood, common problem. Also check on top where the sending unit like robb said. There is an O-ring that seals it to the tank that could be bad.

If you don't wanna cut up some jeep coils, you can always order some 3" lift springs from 4x4parts.com for an easy drop in install. The 4x4 parts ones have increase load carrying capacity so the ride will be stiffer.

If you want 33's maybe go with 33x10.5 instead of 12.5 wide. Or you can go up to a 16 inch wheel at get some 285 75 16s which measure out to like 33x11.5

I tried a set of 33x12.5 tires on my pathy for a week that I borrowed off my friends chevy, I noticed a bit of power loss more specifically when on the highway, it likes to kick out of OD a lot. They didn't rub at all on the street for me but I have a 3" SL and 3" BL. I also noticed the brakes weren't as effective but that was to be expected with larger/heavier tires.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
t846176
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1995
Tim's: XL Double Double Decaf

Post by t846176 »

thank-you for all the input. It has been very helpful.