nissan to recal 195000 pathys and qx4 suv's

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Re: nissan to recal 195000 pathys and qx4 suv's

Post by Big Bird »

Did three at work. Two were okay, just surface rust. The third one had the strut tower housing totally seperated. Making contact with the steering column. Sent to the body shop for repairs. I do remember seeing a few coming to the dealership for service that were in really bad shape. Lets see what comes in tomorrow.
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy

Post by 01R50 »

I never got a notice which I found a bit odd.

Mine has rust, but I have not poked it with a screwdriver yet to test if it is just surface.

Wonder if this is still covered if you have a lift installed? I also seriously doubt they will give me much of anything for my "modified" pathy. So there is no way in hell I would just let them take it.

This was the passenger side before I fixed it (strut assembly removed). As you can see, there wasn't much left holding it in place.

My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Yikes, that's frightening.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
nige
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

whoa that's pretty extensive corrosion there
OF4WD Member #5472
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

What doesn't help is that there are a few plastic covers which protect the break/fuel lines, but also help hold water against the truck. Water rusts out the metal and the plastic covers hide what's going on. Then it takes some scraping and a pressure washer to see the true damage. There was just one small crack when I started poking at things and that is what I ended up with in the end once all the loose rust was removed.

So you can see why Nissan is doing the recall.

Won't have a problem on that side anymore though. Welded 1/8" thick steel plate in the entire area then covered everything with rocker guard and anti-rust paint.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Ok, here's some pics of what you're looking for.

There is a 2nd location that we inspect as part of the recall as well, that are higher up. This vehicle only had the perforation in the one spot, no seperation of the welds up higher, so I don't have pics of that...

(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

So we had a meeting today with some clairification.

The pictures that I posted above, are infact, repairable, and they are expecting a repair within the next month or so.

For them to be unsafe to drive, that rust hole must be right at the bottom, where the actual frame rail runs.

If you're looking at your truck, look for where the brake flex line and the steel brake line connect at the bracket.

Basically, there has to be a perforation BELOW that to be unsafe. Above that, and it's just a hole in the inner fender.

They will still be fixing that, but it's ok to drive for the next 30-45 days till they finialize the repair.

There's also the 2nd location to inspect at the top for broken spot welds.

Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

My dad called me today and told me the dealer pulled his truck off the road saying it wasn't safe to drive. There was no rust in the drivers side only the passenger side. Are they going to be fixing the apparently unsafe ones too? They just told him it wasn't safe and he had to call a cab home.

He just told me the whole story. My step brother was borrowing the pathy to get the plates off of his moms altima that was written off. So he goes back to the truck and he said there were 2 guys looking at the r50 in the parking lot when he got back to it. They were flipping poop saying that he needs to get it off the road ASAP. Anyway my dad was buying a new Xterra and step brother just bought a new sentra at another dealer across town so they towed it over there for some reason. The guys at this dealer said the others were over reacting. Needless to say he was kinda pissed off because there is no rust in the driver side strut tower (I looked like a month ago). But there were a couple holes in the top passenger side (like in morpheus' photos). It was supposed to go to his wife but now they don't know.

I know if it had been me I would have told the guys in the parking lot where to shove it and taken off!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

he doesn't need to cab it. The dealer MUST provide a rental car free of charge when they pull it off the road.

The repair is now in full swing. They should be fixing the vehicle the instant they pull it off the road, and he should have it back within a few days, fully repaired.

If the dealer refuses to provide the rental, or if they procrastinate fixing it, tell him to call 1-800 nissan and complain, or simply pickup his truck. They can't keep it from him, it's his property.

On a side note, I heard a rumor that someone got $9000 for their R50 the other day that was pulled off the road. That's unconfirmed rumor, not fact...

Adam

Post by Adam »

Ok, so he did end up getting a rental. But he just bought a new xterra that he is supposed to pick up on Wednesday, so he was to trade in the pathfinder and wanted to drive it a few more days. They said if they buy it out the money can just go to the X purchase or if they fix it they will take the truck at trade in value. Seems like it will all work out, and they said they would fix up his r50 and sell it lol. Maybe someone will see the CNTC sticker on the back and join the group haha.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Well I have been waiting and never got a recall for my pathy. Thought maybe it was just Nissan taking their time, but it looks like they just never sent me one.

Then I pulled out of the driveway tonight and felt a "thud" and the steering became very stiff. I pulled over and this is what I found:

Drivers side strut tower has let go and is pushed up against the steering column.

I checked it last month, and other than some surface rust, it seemed fine. Though like I stated in a previous post, the tower on the passenger side let go last year and I repaired it.

Nissan is lucky it didn't happen while on the 417 or they could have had a lawsuit on their hands.

Will see about calling the local Nissan dealership tomorrow morning to see what they are going to do about it. Naturally it is too late to call about it now.

I hope they are not going to dick me around because my truck is "modified" :confuse:
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Called them up this morning and told them the problem. They looked up my VIN number and my truck is part of the recall, but he said he had no idea why I was not contacted.

Naturally he told me not to drive it and to have it towed to their garage. But after complaining that I would have to pay for a towing he looked it up in the computer and it states that if it is broken like this, Nissan will pay for the towing from my place to their garage. Though if I hadn't asked, they would have gotten me to pay for the towing.

On the good side he said that as soon as it arrives the vehicle is assigned as a "priority" job and will get looked at right away. He said they have to look at it, then send pictures off to Nissan to get evaluation on how to repair the vehicle (as there is supposedly several ways of fixing it depending on the damage). As soon as they get the instructions from Nissan, they order the part(s) and it will get fixed as soon as they arrives. Or so that is what I am told.

Waiting on the towing now.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
fleurys
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Tim's: Tim Who ?? hahaha

Post by fleurys »

I'm following this on other forums, and I fear that they will label it unrepairable and ask for your registration.... many people are being screwed with this right now...
One Life...So many trails !
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

fleurys wrote:I'm following this on other forums, and I fear that they will label it unrepairable and ask for your registration.... many people are being screwed with this right now...
If they give me a reasonable price I have no problem with that. As long as I can take off the basic accessories (ie roof rack, basket, tool box, etc) as well as the $1700 in new tires/rims I just put on it. I will put the original tires/rims back on it which are currently on the Hardbody. They can keep the bumpers, snorkel, etc, as I wouldn't be buying another R50. Not that they would care as if they bought the truck from me it would then be send to the crusher (I am reasonably sure).

I am not expecting $15K for my truck, but if they gave my $5K-8K for it I would be happy and throw that money onto another Nissan truck. I wouldn't buy a brand new truck, but I have been looking at a few used ones for around that price.

Problem is that my truck also has serious frame rust on the passenger side. Not just surface rust, but through rust. And as I stated above a while ago, the passenger side tower was repaired last year after it failed. Hopefully they will take that into consideration if they don't want to fix it.

Only thing that worries me a bit is if they try and push me off and won't repair it because the vehicle is not stock.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
fleurys
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Tim's: Tim Who ?? hahaha

Post by fleurys »

forget 5 to 8k.... people with unmodified and no rust anywhere else are having difficulties to get 5k.... yours will probably fall in the 2-3k.... that's what I think... let us know where all this end up.... :-(
One Life...So many trails !
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Based on auto trader dealer listings, asking price around $8k is a clean LE with around 100k km. I'd be very surprised if you got that. $5k is for a clean one in the 150-175k range. I wish you much luck in getting a large buy-out, but like fleurys says...don't get your hopes too high.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

fleurys wrote:forget 5 to 8k.... people with unmodified and no rust anywhere else are having difficulties to get 5k.... yours will probably fall in the 2-3k.... that's what I think... let us know where all this end up.... :-(
We will see. Though it is hard to say as it seems most people who are getting their trucks bought back by Nissan have damage, but none have actually had the strut tower break free yet. Mine is broken right off and the vehicle is undrivable (well except for up onto a tow truck).

From what I have read of the Technical Bulletin it seems as if they are willing to negotiate with you on the price (somewhat) so you never know. If they offer pretty low then I either have the choice of keeping the truck (it is against the law to keep the vehicle, they have to give it back to you if you ask, no matter the problem), just take their offer, or ask that I am allowed to strip it of all the parts I want along with their offer as they will be scrapping the truck anyways. If they do want to scrap the truck then maybe I could get them to find me a used Nissan at a dealership (something that was traded in) to replace my truck. I wouldn't mind that.

I am not too worried about it. It is hard to say as some people with major damage are getting their trucks fixed and then there are others with minimal damage that are getting their trucks bought back by Nissan.

Just gotta wait and see.
Bow_Tied wrote:Based on auto trader dealer listings, asking price around $8k is a clean LE with around 100k km. I'd be very surprised if you got that. $5k is for a clean one in the 150-175k range. I wish you much luck in getting a large buy-out, but like fleurys says...don't get your hopes too high.
Well if you are going to get your hopes up, you might as well dream big ;)

Never know what they will say. Anyways it is cheaper to pay someone off then to get bad press on the deal.

Like I said above, I just have to wait and see. Might fix it and be driving it around in a weeks time too.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Sounds like a good attitutude to have. Hope it works out.

Would the repair, even after breakage, really be that hard for a competent body shop?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Adam

Post by Adam »

Bow_Tied wrote:Sounds like a good attitutude to have. Hope it works out.

Would the repair, even after breakage, really be that hard for a competent body shop?
I don't think so, but maybe they don't want the liability. Just like how no one will touch a wd21 frame. A good body shop should do what you want them to do! And the way the economy is going, now isn't a good time to be chasing away business.

Good luck, Al. If you end up getting something else, what do you have in mind?

01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

I am not happy that it is broken, but I am not going to get really worked up about it. The dealership should be looking at it right now I will likely get a call on Monday-Tuesday to see what is going to be done by Nissan. In the end things will get done ;)

Most anything can be repaired, but it is the amount of money it will cost to replace. The parts are like $200-300. But the labor is the real killer. I have heard some places charging over $2000 to replace/fix a broken strut tower. I am not going to spend that type of money on a truck worth maybe $4000 (if not less). I think that is Nissan's way of thinking as well. Plus Nissan likely would rather give you the money so that you will hopefully buy a brand new truck.

I would like to get into a Frontier if I replace the pathy. Something in the 2001-2004 range (about the same year range as the pathy). I have always loved my Hardbody and would like to compliment it with the newest version. If not, then likely an xterra in the same year range. I liked my R50, but would prefer to have something with a real frame from now on.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP