nissan to recal 195000 pathys and qx4 suv's

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Jimmy
Year: 2001

Re: nissan to recal 195000 pathys and qx4 suv's

Post by 01R50 »

Truck is on the lift at Nissan today.

They called me up because they needed to remove the air box on the truck, but the snorkel is attached to the air box. I told them that it is held in place with 3 bolts and 1 screw and very easy to remove, about 5 minutes work, but they refused. They said I either had to come down and remove it myself or they would charge me 1 hours work to remove it as their policy is not to touch any non-Nissan accessories without charging for it. So I drove down there and it took it off. Took me 3 minutes.

Will see if it will get fixed. Service bulletin was printed out and sitting on the technicians work bench when I got there to remove the snorkel.

Interesting enough I was offered a 2000/2001 Infinity QX4 with 150k for $1,500 today. I am told it has very minor body rust, but other than that it is in good shape. Is owned by a garage up near Kemptville. Will go see it later this week. If it turns out to be in good shape and maybe I can cut a bit off the price, it might be the new truck. I would then transfer the gear over to the Infinity and part out the pathy.
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Was called today. They want to scrap it.

The support plate has been installed but they couldn't get several of the bolts anywhere near to the proper torque.

They are going to send the paperwork to Nissan today and I should hopefully get a call from Nissan within a couple of days with an offer for my truck.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Good luck!
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Nissan announced today that any customer who's vehicle is deemed unrepairable will, in addition to everything else, be eligible for interal nissan employee pricing towards a brand new vehicle.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

She is getting scrapped. Was offered a very good price by Nissan and I am taking it. I already went to the dealership, signed the paper accepting the offer and signed over the registration.

I was allowed to remove my tires/rims. I put the original ones back on (though that sucks too, as those tires had 75% of tread left on them). I also pulled out all my stuff, removed the roof rack/basket, and even took the snorkel as it was just sitting in the truck (had to be removed to do the inspection). But the bumpers had to stay. The only way I could have taken the bumpers would have been to reinstall the original bumpers, which I did not have anymore. But I am not going to buy another R50 to replace it, so the bumpers weren't really of use to me. But I would have like to have given them to someone else instead to having them scrapped.

Was told that they sent someone to verify that the truck was "non repairable". Then they sent two different people to get an estimate on how much the vehicle was worth and they came up with a price between those two figures.

I asked what they would do with the truck once I signed it over. The truck will be picked up by a flat bed truck to a scrap yard where the truck will have its fluids drained and it will be crushed. The truck will not be allowed to be sold to someone for parts at all. Once crushed, it will be sent to a chipper (likely Bakers here in Ottawa). They want to be very sure that the truck will never be put on the road again. Nor any parts from the suspension.

One last look:

R.I.P
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
danxe
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: 4Runner Trail Edit.
Year: 2016
Tim's: xl regular

Post by danxe »

Morpheus wrote:Nissan announced today that any customer who's vehicle is deemed unrepairable will, in addition to everything else, be eligible for interal nissan employee pricing towards a brand new vehicle.
Off record - what do you think the chances of WD21 inspections happening for frame issues etc.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Slim to none on the wd21's. The rust on the WD21's IMO, would never be called a "safety" issue, as it will not cause the vehicle to crash while driving along the highway.
The R50's were done because of the possibility of the strut tower pinning against the steering column, causing a lack of steering control, hence the posibility of a crash, and the recall.

01R50, if you don't mind the question, how much did they give you for it?

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

On a side note, we completed our first "repair" of one today. Took 4 days, but that's just because it was the first one, they figure 2 days should be the average repair.

01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Drove around the dealers yard on Saturday and saw that the pathy is gone. Didn't take them long to send it to scrap. I guess Nissan wants them gone asap.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

The dealer probably can't close out the claim with Nissan until they recieve the proof of destuction.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Is my thinking as well. They want to make sure it is crushed asap to be sure that there is no chance people will try and change their minds and want the thing back. Or that someone gets the money then tries to screw them by going to the license office and doing something.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Daddy Rim
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 97, 01
Tim's: Green Tea

Post by Daddy Rim »

Looks like our '01 R50 has this issue. Brought it to the dealer today and they have told us they will be repairing it.

Links to images (couldn't figure out how to automatically resize all the images):

http://www.nx4industries.com/IMG00016.jpg
http://www.nx4industries.com/IMG00017.jpg
http://www.nx4industries.com/IMG00018.jpg
http://www.nx4industries.com/IMG00019.jpg

Any opinions from people who have already been through this repair?
JoeM
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Tim's: Bagel

Post by JoeM »

Morpheus wrote:Nissan announced today that any customer who's vehicle is deemed unrepairable will, in addition to everything else, be eligible for interal nissan employee pricing towards a brand new vehicle.
Hello. Joe from Atlantic Canada here. Just had my low mileage 2001 Pathfinder LE wrote off yesterday due to the recall. Complete shock. I feel like I brought my dog to the vet and they put it down.

Needless to say I've been doing a lot of reading online since then.

I was into my dealer today to start researching my next steps. I'd be more than happy to get into a new LE if the deal is right. I mentioned that I read on the net the possibility of employee pricing but they denied knowing anything about it. I assume they're under instructions to stay tight-lipped about everything and let Nissan Canada handle things?

So, waiting for the call from Nissan Canada. I like discussing things from a basis of facts, so is there anything I can quote beyond "I read it on the net"?

Thanks.

PS. I went to the Toyota dealer to drive a 4Runner. I feel dirty, ha ha. I've driven nothing but Nissans since 84. Hope we can keep this relationship going.
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Welcome.

The person who calls you will be from the company "Crawford and Company Canada". He/she will tell you what Nissan is offering you for the truck. No idea what they will offer you, as it depends on the condition of the vehicle. I was offered a price which was well above the average resale price of the truck (even with my mods) so I said yes. But if they offer you something which you think is low, I have heard that others have been able to haggle with them to get a better deal. Once you agree to the price, they will fax a copy of the offer to the dealership. You go to the dealership, sign the paper, sign over the registration and hand over the keys. Then make sure to take all your stuff out of the truck.

The paper you sign is very short and simple to read (no small print). It just states that you are giving up your truck for XXXX amount of money and that you will not ask for more money in the future nor will you sue them in the future due to this. That's it.

Now be prepared to wait for the money. I was told that I would be getting a check in about 2-3 weeks but it took 2 months. Though when I called back the guy at Crawford and Company (make sure to get their name and telephone number in case you have to call them back) he said they got swamped with trucks being bought back and so it was taking longer to process than usual. Might not have the same problem. The check is mailed to the dealership and they will call you to pick it up once it arrives.

As for the employee pricing thing, that is likely something the sales manager will have to call about. The dealership I went to didn't know about it either. But things like that are rarely told to the dealership unless asked. The guy from Crawford and Company won't know anything about that either (he is just there to take care of the offer).

Personally I would go for an xterra before I would go to another pathfinder. New pathys are huge and ugly. The new 2012 xterra's are beautiful. Though I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. I prefer to have something a bit more rugged for when the zombies arrive.

Hope that helps.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Yes it does, thanks.

It appears that the buyout offer and the negoatiations for a new vehicle can procede independently to a certain extent so I'm trying to get as much done as possible.

January is the worst time to be without my AWD, but we're lucky so far... no snow.

The rental agency tried to put me into a Ford but I went for a Nissan Versa instead. Extended test drive for a potential second car, haha.

Once I get the offer, how soon will my free ride come to an end?
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

JoeM wrote:Yes it does, thanks.
The rental agency tried to put me into a Ford but I went for a Nissan Versa instead. Extended test drive for a potential second car, haha.

Once I get the offer, how soon will my free ride come to an end?
That is odd. Nissan usually makes sure the rental vehicle is a Nissan.

You get to drive the rental car right until you get the money I was told.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

For future readers, here's my complete story in a nutshell...

Tuesday... bring truck in for broken strut. Receive news that Nissan is writing my truck off. Into rental vehicle immediately.

Wednesday... test drive new Pathfinder LE, look at a few other vehicles.

Thursday... receive offer from Crawford and Company, well in excess of Blackbook value. They also confirmed there was an additional discount being offered by Nissan Canada if you buy new, but they could not confirm what it was.

Friday... place deposit on new Pathfinder. A discount, a big downpayment, no payments for 3 months, and 0% long term financing sure brought things together. The last two things were the standard January sales deal, so they may not apply to you.

Tuesday... take delivery of new Pathfinder.

Thursday... cheque arrives from Nissan Canada.

Epilogue... I'm very happy with the whole thing. Thanks Nissan Canada, and Saint John Nissan.

The only caveat I offer to future readers of this thread is that there seems to be some confusion over the "additional discount to buy new". My local dealer came good on something, but there was definitely mixed messages coming from Nissan Canada when we inquired about it.
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Great to hear it went so fast for you. I guess the big rush of people when I was going through it are now gone and they have the process down.

I was happy with the process (other than it taking a while to get the money) but it worked out for me in the end as well.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
2001 LE
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 2002

Post by 2001 LE »

Dropped off my 2001 LE at the dealer on Monday with a badly rusted out strut tower weld. Took 4 days for them to make a decision and next week they said that they will "attempt a repair to see if it holds ". My regular mechanic deals with repairing a lot of older cars and in his opinion nobody should attempt to repair this because of the liability/ safety issue because it is so badly rusted with 1/2 inch air gap all the way along where the weld should be.

Should I have faith in this "attempted repair" ? My Pathy is in otherwise great mechanical shape and it's the one that my wife uses for our kids so safety is priority one for me. I would hate to think that the dealer is trying to make money on a repair that shouldn't be attempted beacuse they would make very little fron Nissan Canada if it was a write off ?

Nissan customer care told me that the dealer call the shots and the dealer says that Nissan Canada calls the shots so who's telling the truth here ?

Plus after 5 days they finally are willing to give me a rental after practically begging all week and having to spend $40/day for a repacement so far.

Any opinions on my situation ?
98pathy
Make/Model: NIssan Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: double double

Re: nissan to recall 195000 pathys and qx4 suv's

Post by 98pathy »

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions: I purchased a '98 Pathfinder in September 2012 and it looks like a backyard mechanic has cut out and patched where the recall seems to apply. I've heard that Nissan will not warranty the work done by others - in your experience, has anyone had Nissan remove the patches and fix them properly or deem them unrepairable and buy it back?? It's my winter vehicle so I won't be able to go without it for any length of time until Spring so I am holding off on taking it to my local dealer for the time being. Thanks for your input!