GoPro

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
buttsy
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

GoPro

Post by buttsy »

So I've had more free time at work, and I've been thinking: why not build a weatherproof Pan/Tilt mount for a GoPro? Then I thought, why not read up on a video out? So I've found a place I can get the proprietary plugs for a GoPro complete with pinout diagram, and I can get the wiring and weather-tight (mil-spec) connectors. This would mean you can run the GoPro off an external power supply, and you can capture video in Cab through the component/RCA cables if you desire. So far I plan a small profile motorized 2 axis (hopefully full traverse) dampened mount that will accept the GoPro waterproof case. I also plan on running a video out and controls into the cab with a small monitor to go with the joystick controls for the mount. Only kicker is it'll require the larger back plate such as with the LCD BacPac or Battery BacPac. The reason I'm putting this here: I was curious if any of you GoPro owners had input? Something you'd like to see from this? Something you'd deem necessary? Once I've got the prototype tweaked I'd be willing to build them to order, but for now I want to get the kinks sorted out.
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: GoPro

Post by Miner »

"I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR" ... You're earning this.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
buttsy

Post by buttsy »

Hey brother, it's what I do... :)
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Miner wrote:"I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR" ... You're earning this.
That starts with a preliminary quote: "I have too much time on my hands" :lol:

Buttsy, in all seriousness, you're a pretty crafty guy. I'm sure you'll be able to figure this out, and it'll work great :thumbup:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

One thing I will mention: the outputs on the GoPro are on the side of the camera itself. This could make things challenging for this kind of application, at least for maintaining the weatherproof-ness of the camera.

GoPro makes an barebones case that is not weather proof, the call it the Skeleton Housing: http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/hd- ... n-housing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look at some of the pictures, you can see how they have opened up their case to allow for the video out, and power in cables for the camera. Everything goes out the side, through a hole in the case, which I'm sure you have deduced by now, renders the whole system non-weatherproof.

Basically, for the GoPro camera, the housing exists almost exclusively to allow for the camera to use the mounting system that they use. There is no way to attach the camera to a mount any other way then by using the case.

Now, I'm sure you can come up with some kind of work around, and I don't see any reason why you can't still go forward with this project for use with the camera in it's fully sealed case. Having the cables connected to it for in cab viewing and recording will make things a bit more challenging, at least when it comes to trying to keep things weatherproof.

I like this idea by the way though. One of the challenges I have with the camera, is trying to decide what I am going to be filming. In truck? Out of truck pointing forward? Out of truck pointing backwards? etc etc. With your set up, you would at least have the option of being able to change your recording view at will.

If I would suggest anything, I would say if possible, to make the pan ability of the mount a full 360º of rotation. This way if the camera is mounted high on the roof, like I had this past weekend, you could rotate the camera front to back in order to record the forward view, as well as the rear view, without having to exit the vehicle to re-orientate the camera.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
buttsy

Post by buttsy »

I am hoping for the full 360, but it'll probably be 360 single rotation. There'll be wires to the tilt mechanism that'll wrap around the mechanism if it turns more than that... I'll keep you posted on that. As for the video out, the Hero port on the back and the side of the camera ALSO has video out, that's how the LCD BacPac works. I don't know if EVERY model has those ports though... I'll keep up my research, start posting plans here in the next few days. God I love working in the winter :P
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Ah, I wasn't thinking about the rear port that the LCD backpack uses. Only the HERO HD has that BUS port at the rear.

Missing from the HD HERO 960 are 720p @ 60fps, 1080p video, and the HERO BUS expansion port in the rear of the camera that will let you take advantage of GoPro’s BacPac accessories – LCD screen & Battery Extension – both important features for filmmaking hobbyists & professional videographers that are compatible with the original HD HERO camera.

I never thought of using the rear port, as I don't currently have any accessories that take advantage of it. I've only used the side ports once to date anyways, so...

As for the rotation, as long as it can do the full 360º, it would suit my needs. It doesn't have to be a continuous rotation, but the ability to rotate it front to back, or side to side, would be very useful in my opinion.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Fyrtowr
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 06/02
Tim's: FV Cappy (Iced in Summer)

Post by Fyrtowr »

We have the 1080HD and we also have the rear expansion battery pack. Works well actually - as both an expansion pack and as an external battery charger. I forsee the LCD display in our near future as well as Sherri is one of those people who enoy looking at the display right after she takes a picture. LOL

If you are considering playing around with the BUS, I could've sworn that I read somewhere that the BUS that is used on the GoPro is very similar - if not identical - to the same BUS as a Apple iPhone.

A tilt pan option would be cool but it would also be nifty if you could see where you are tilting and panning. Perhaps a long BUS cable to the LCD monitor (or hopefully a larger equivalent) inside the vehicle would be ideal.

I've seen a few YouTube video's about making an external microphone. Seemed pretty cool actually. Not sure where I would use this particular application but it is neat to see the GoPro modded.

Although this tilt/pan idea is very innovative, I thought this thing @ 3:10 of this video was pretty snazzy. Also, there is a good laugh at 3:01 of this video as well.

"You meet a lot of ladies driving an Xterra because you pull up to a stoplight and look over and there's an Xterra next to you, they're always driven by chicks. So there's your ice breaker." ~ Andy Bernard; The Office
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Fyrtowr wrote: Although this tilt/pan idea is very innovative, I thought this thing @ 3:10 of this video was pretty snazzy. Also, there is a good laugh at 3:01 of this video as well.
I know a guy here in Ottawa that has something similar to that flying contraption, although I don't think he's ever used it for a GoPro...

And the little bee buzzing at the camera, too funny! I have some underwater footage from a friends cottage where I had the GoPro on a string, and we dangled the camera over a sunken boat to get some footage. The fish that were hanging out by the sunken boat were all like "Ooooh, what's this thing??? SHINY!" Hehehe! They all swam right over to investigate.

And I can't imagine how long it took them to put that video together... Soooooo many different cameras running at the same time! It take a while to get all the different overlays sync'd together, and then to go back and forth from different angles, oye vé!
Fyrtowr

Post by Fyrtowr »

I hear ya! I couldn't imagine what work went into editing that video. As much as I enjoy shooting the video and snapping pix, editing is EXTREMELY time consuming. Sometime last week I recorded myself here at work. Had it on the "picture every 2 second" mode. Even after accumulating 6,484 pictures over 5 hours, putting it together as a video has been rather painstaking.

You want to talk about putting a video together, check out this read.. Even better is the video here.

I would like to see your idea come to life there Buttsy. I'm pretty sure that if they could have telescopes on servo motors to track planets and stars then this wouldn't be a difficult task. Biggest thing about mounting it on a vehicle with the combo of motors that I can see is the dampening - which you've already taken into consideration. As for the only kicker being the larger back plate, that is a rather minor issue IMO.
"You meet a lot of ladies driving an Xterra because you pull up to a stoplight and look over and there's an Xterra next to you, they're always driven by chicks. So there's your ice breaker." ~ Andy Bernard; The Office
deeker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Rubicon Unlimited
Year: 2008
Tim's: Dr. Pepper!

Post by deeker »

I really think one of those cameras would be fun. Once you got using it the possibilities would open up, too.

Would you be able to silicone around the cables in place well enough to keep the camera water-tight? Might only be a once-time-use-only sealing job, but it might do the trick. Expensive experiment. ;)
buttsy

Post by buttsy »

Nice thing about Mil-Spec is I can build a plug into the back of the box that IS waterproof... The only reason I need the bigger backplate is room for the plug and cable...
Fyrtowr

Post by Fyrtowr »

buttsy wrote:Nice thing about Mil-Spec is I can build a plug into the back of the box that IS waterproof... The only reason I need the bigger backplate is room for the plug and cable...
You'd then just have to ensure that the camera was still nice and snug in the housing cause if it has the larger backplate, the camera could jostle around quite a bit and it is quite a tight fit.
buttsy

Post by buttsy »

I've got a couple of big blocks of high density foam from that Keyboard/Monitor protection thing I use for a roof top carrier. If it's good enough for a CRT monitor, I'm sure it'll keep the Camera in place :D
Fyrtowr

Post by Fyrtowr »

I'll just leave this here.... :)

buttsy

Post by buttsy »

Want the plans? :P
Fyrtowr

Post by Fyrtowr »

As soon as I would be able to acquire one of those quadrocopters I may consider it. Is this a similar setup to what you were thinking of??

I mounted our GoPro to our $80 helicopter. Fortunately the wide angle of the camera can capture pretty much all I need without having a pan and tilt function. As I had posted on Facebook a few days ago, I shot a video of our neighbourhood from my mom's house ~ we live 10 houses down so hence this is the neighbourhood I've grown up in all of my life. :D

Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Post by Spider 007 »

I love the smooth, controlled landing! ;)

:lol:
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Spider 007 wrote:I love the smooth, controlled landing! ;)

I think that was maybe why Jon was running... That was an "OH SH*T" run if I have ever seen one...

And I would say Jon, that you need some more insulation in your attic. You should have snow on your roof if you have snow on the ground.

Just sayin'

:teeth:

On the GoPro front, I have been looking at either purchasing, or building a "steadicam" set-up so that my hand-held videography doesn't look so crappy. You don't realize how shaky your hands are when holding a camera until you start doing this kind of thing!
Fyrtowr

Post by Fyrtowr »

Jayman wrote:
Spider 007 wrote:I love the smooth, controlled landing! ;)

I think that was maybe why Jon was running... That was an "OH SH*T" run if I have ever seen one...
A weird wind came up and blow the chopper much further than I anticipated - hence me running. Not only did it blow it farther away but it also blew it up higher. Then, for some weird reason, it's like the chopper went out of my range and killed the motor. :-/ Needless to say though - the GoPro survived the fall.
Jayman wrote: And I would say Jon, that you need some more insulation in your attic. You should have snow on your roof if you have snow on the ground.

Just sayin'

:teeth:
Mom's house there has TONNES of insulation in the attic LOL. We had received just a little bit of snow - you can still see the grass poking through at the beginning of the view. We just get a lot of blowing snow. If you look at the other houses in the neighbourhood, there is snow only on the east side of the roofs as well. :thumbup: