2M Radio

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
buttsy
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

2M Radio

Post by buttsy »

Anyone running a 2M VHF set? Is anyone interested in pursuing this? You will need to qualify for a HAM radio license, but you can transmit over MUCH larger distances than with CB (can transmit up to 75w on a mobile unit, vs 4w on a CB). I've been reading up on it, and we can probably get a group discount on licenses (Study guide is $30, and the examiners fees differ from person to person). A good 2M set will run ya more than $150, plus the related hardware. The nice thing is, I've checked the repeaters and coverage and for AW we can literally talk to just about anyone, just about anywhere in the area. So if someone runs into trouble on Concession Lake, we could call a group on the Hydro line or back to the campsite for assistance if needed. Granted, the CB would still be better amongst the group on trail, as with the VHF you have a call sign and asshattery would be generally frowned upon.
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Re: 2M Radio

Post by Jayman »

I've looked into this a few times in the past, but came to the realization that the only time I would ever use it is for AW. This is very similar to my use of the CB actually. The only time I ever use it, is when I’m wheeling.

I know that getting your HAM licence is a little bit more difficult then just showing up and writing the test, but it’s far from impossible.

My dad has had his HAM licence for a while now, and even he uses it very sparingly.

I think with the invention of cellular phones, most people have gone away from the use of radios like this, even though coverage can be spotty in certain areas.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I agree with jayman, it would be great to have but not everyone is going to want to spend that much or study and write a test to get a license for something they would use once or twice a year. I too only use my CB when wheeling or when on long highway trips.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2007
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

I have mine and had it since i was 13 I use it often when traveling with family and for a few other things.
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Yeah - I'm on board with the other guys on this. More power rocks, but for what we do, and with large groups, and cell phones... It seems a bit over the top.

Maybe it's the KISS rule: Keep It Simple Stupid.

I always have the CB on 19. The trucks let me know about a lot of the goings on around here, and lots of P/Us have them. We let one another know about radar traps, deer, and bad bits of road (like ice or accidents...) And I use it for weather.

Just my 2 cents...
nige
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

i also thought about getting my operator's license. part of it had to do with being able to use my VHF on the boat... legally

A lot of the guys from calgary area use it. Mookie has a nice setup in his truck
OF4WD Member #5472
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've wanted my operators license for many years before I owned my truck, but never really have the drive to do it.

I've been wanting to setup a nice amplified CB system on the end of the vixen mast and set it up on the top of the hill of the bowl at AW for similar cases to what you describe, but not sure if it would work as planned.

Another thing I want to build for AW is a mobile CB to FRS repeater
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged