Newcomer from Kingston

Welcome to CNTC. Please check in here before posting!
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Re: Newcomer from Kingston

Post by Scotto »

And when you're done moving the damn nuts, be sure to use anti-seize on them for the next time you have to move them.

Welcome to the club.

Scott
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Nissan frontier
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee and honey cruler

Post by Shaynerama »

Thanks guys, Ill look into some anti-seize. Also, as Im just getting used to the forum- and how it works, I was unsure If i were able join any events, as Im not a premium member :( . Ive been looking around, but I couldn't find any definate answers for stock friendly trails (for my 2000 CC V6 4x4) If anyone else who has a stock truck and is maybe a little bit more educated on this matter please either reply or PM? :teeth:

Cheers, Shayne

P.S. Im I guess Im no longer the youngest at 18 :lol:
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

You will be able to run the rookie runs for sure at the Hydroline. We'll be starting those up in June. Watch for the event posts.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Shaynerama wrote:Thanks guys, Ill look into some anti-seize. Also, as Im just getting used to the forum- and how it works, I was unsure If i were able join any events, as Im not a premium member :( . Ive been looking around, but I couldn't find any definate answers for stock friendly trails (for my 2000 CC V6 4x4) If anyone else who has a stock truck and is maybe a little bit more educated on this matter please either reply or PM? :teeth:

Cheers, Shayne

You are paying attention. :thumbup:
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Shaynerama wrote:Thanks guys, Ill look into some anti-seize. Also, as Im just getting used to the forum- and how it works, I was unsure If i were able join any events, as Im not a premium member :( . Ive been looking around, but I couldn't find any definate answers for stock friendly trails (for my 2000 CC V6 4x4) If anyone else who has a stock truck and is maybe a little bit more educated on this matter please either reply or PM? :teeth:

Cheers, Shayne

Just follow me ;)

Seriously there are a couple of near stock, or fully stock, Frontiers out on a number of the runs. There is also a couple of Chevys with less ground clearance then a lawnmower that get around quite well.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Miner wrote:

Cheers, Shayne

Just follow me ;)

Seriously there are a couple of near stock, or fully stock, Frontiers out on a number of the runs. There is also a couple of Chevys with less ground clearance then a lawnmower that get around quite well.
Ouch! to the Chevy's
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Shaynerama »

Hahaha! I'm looking a picture of your rig @Miner and it looks like we're in totally different ballparks :lol: but if you don't go on too hard of trails I'd like to follow someone who knows what thief doing :teeth: ( if you were actually serious xD) as for the Chevys..... I feels ya on the sympathy but I've seen a few saggy blazers around..... :lol: I'll keep an eye out on the boards for upcoming trail events toward the summer, but in the meantime are there any meets on the weekends in the GTA? Because I live in Kingston (and all of my friends think im crazy for being a frontier enthusist) I'm too far away for a Thursday coffee meet :disapprove: but every once in a while I head up to Mississauga area to visit family on the weekends so I'd be happy to meet up with some of you guys!

Cheers, Shayne
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Come out to Minden. I usually get offered to lead one of the rookie/"get your feet going again" runs.

I can get a stock fronty thru that trail. There are one or two tricky bits, but that's it. All you have to do is believe in your spotter. If you fail to do that, you'll end up with a dent. But that's probably it.

What you need to do, to get ready for that day, is make sure your truck is very good. No leaks under the dizzy (old rubber gasket), no overheating issues, no weak battery, no "it's about to fall off stuff." We can deal with issues that happen just cause they happen, but please don't show up with a bunch of stuff that should be fixed soon but you haven't bothered. We had a guy do that to us several times, and it really annoyed people.

Not being a jerk - I would be very happy to take you thru the Minden trail when we get the day set up. It's a nice little trail, and you'll get your feet wet in the new truck. I love watching the new guys go, "I can't believe I did that!"

If you can, try to install a CB in your truck. We had a few guys last year w/o one, and it was a PITA. We use FRS as an alternative, but relaying all the info back and forth on a trail over different radios really sucks. CBs are cheap, and relatively easy to install. Plus, they're cool. Get a mean-ass whip to boogie your rig! If you can, get a PA speaker so you can stand outside of your truck and hear what's going on - makes things so much easier. There are many times on a trail when you are waiting for an obstacle to be cleared, and can't see the guy doing his thing, nor the group. It is really needed info on when you can move forward.

Scott
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Shaynerama »

That would be great! :D I love going for romps in the truck, and doing it with other people with similar intentions would be awesome! Now, before the season sets in, I know that I need to give the truck a bit of a tune up- as in re-index my torsion bars, do an oil change and check for ware and tare, find a spare for the truck (as the previous owner must have... well.. misplaced it? :eek: ) and remove the OEM step rails. Is there anything else that would be wise to get ahold of? I know that a recovery strap would be a probable must, where can I buy them/ how much? Recovery points on my truck would probably be the stock loops below the front (I have shackles for that) and a receiver for the hitch, which ill either buy, or get my dad (welder by trade) to create for me. As for the CB, I think id get one somehow, but It may just be a handhel because this truck is still a daily driver :lol:

This Is my rig BTW, the Tonka http://imageshack.us/g/833/school2012120.jpg/

Cheers, Shayne
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Year: 2007
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

take it from the guy that didn't have a CB last year for Rookie Run it's well worth it to have :blush: And welcome to the club i'm sure you'll have lot's of fun and watch out for that rock. :fist:
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

This is beginning to move into another thread. But...

You don't need a strap. Everyone else has one. And no one gets stuck on Minden. Ever. (They get stupid-stopped, but not stuck. More on that later...)

Rip off those step-bars. Some sort of skid-plate for the oil bucket might be nice. Not truly necessary, as it will dent rather than crush, but it would be something to consider. Torsion bar adj. is about 30 mins of work. A nice cooler for food. I dunno. It's Minden. It's just a decent truck with a CB.

I just saw the pics of your truck. Nice.

You will bump on a few things along the way. That's a long truck.

Here's the rule of thumb: If you can't afford to fix it because you broke something, don't take it on a trail.

We do everything possible to stop damage. But damage happens. Minden, for whatever reason, has claimed several trucks. Eaten them, and then spat them out, forever unusable. Simple trail. Kills some trucks.

Just a heads up. Otherwise, it's a great day and a fun little run! Easy-peezee.
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Shaynerama »

hahaha done. the step bars are gone this weekend when I do my torsion bars. I took them off my 01' Pathy too and it looks like a taller stance, and obviously a little more in clearance. Ill also look into getting the basics like a first aid kit etc... things that I should have in the truck anyway. At the moment I carry a socket set, 12 v electric tire pump and the stock jack. Ill also look into the oil pan skid, which shouldn't be too hard to fabricate with my dad, just have to locate points to mount of the frame. So, when the days come around for Minden, will they be under the 4x4 runs/CNTC events?

Shayne
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Shaynerama »

haha the rule of thumb passed! by the time the runs start, ill have my summer job at the local marina. and i agree with you Scott, damage does happen but when you have a good spotter like you said, itll take down the risks :teeth: . I like that there are trails that a rookie like myself can go out on, cause you gotta start somewhere, rite? even though Minden is a bit of a drive... but I dont have a problem with that :-)
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

You coming to Adventure Weekend?
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now