Newcomer from Kingston

Welcome to CNTC. Please check in here before posting!
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan frontier
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee and honey cruler

Newcomer from Kingston

Post by Shaynerama »

hey all,

Picked up a 2000 frontier Crew Cab V6 few months ago as my first vehicle. Great first vehicle, as I would never have a car, and as much as I would love to do a lift and some new boots to the truck to get it off road capable, I have to worry about paying for starting college :cry: (even though its a pretty tough truck as it is!). But as it is my first vehicle I love it, and love to work on it myself, but as of now the truck has a fairly saggy front end (Resting on bump stops as only suspension!) so Im trying to figure out how to deal with that... any thoughts? Im based out of Kingston ON, so If any of you happen by, and see a Solar Yellow 2000 crew cab with a matching cap, thats me!

Cheers, Shayne
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Re: Newcomer from Kingston

Post by Nismojunky »

IIRC the frontier has torsion bars so you can crank them up unless its snapped or needs to be reindexed there may be a how to some where on here cant remember.

Ps welcome to the club, there are other options to as for lifting your truck PML its a cheap way to get a few inchs out of it
Nismojunky
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Yep, torsion bars. Either they need cranked up or they're stripped. Did the previous owner mod it and put it back to stock?

Welcome aboard, and FWIW my truck is more or less stock also so don't feel bad. I thought I was the only one lol.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Welcome!Nice code name...Shayne.Sounds like a cowbow. Sorry in advance. :teeth:
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Shaynerama »

haha I guess I missed the memo on the code names :teeth: . As for the torsion bars, the write up that Nismojunkey found for me is what Im gonna go after, and I may look into some calmini torsion bars later on.... I know the trucks a little rusty (as it a local to the Kingston salt) so I may have to do a little work to do it..... I was also looking to do some shackles in the rear if i can get the rear a little bit taller than the front with the PML.The previous owner did very little to the truck, other than get it maintained regularly... He didn't strike me as the type of fella that would do work on his truck. :crazy:

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

P.S. What are these coffee meets that I keep hearing about? are they a GTA only thing?
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Most of the coffee meets are in the GTA(ish) area, with a few out in London and Ottawa.

Welcome!
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2007
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

Welcome
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Shaynerama wrote:haha I guess I missed the memo on the code names :teeth: . As for the torsion bars, the write up that Nismojunkey found for me is what Im gonna go after, and I may look into some calmini torsion bars later on.... I know the trucks a little rusty (as it a local to the Kingston salt) so I may have to do a little work to do it..... I was also looking to do some shackles in the rear if i can get the rear a little bit taller than the front with the PML.The previous owner did very little to the truck, other than get it maintained regularly... He didn't strike me as the type of fella that would do work on his truck. :crazy:

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

P.S. What are these coffee meets that I keep hearing about? are they a GTA only thing?
Get some PB Blaster and start spraying your adjusters a couple weeks before you reindex.Heck,if you are on a budget,the PML is pretty good.Some guy's are doing some trails in stock form.I apologize again.I'm getting old and letting out the s*%t more,my new little buddy.It is kinda fun though.It's my Uncle Bruno's fault.He's a great guy. :woot:
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Welcome to CNTC!
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

Welcome to Tim Hortons....NTC I mean
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Welcome, check the current condition of your torsion bars and rear leafs. If they are good go for the PML, if not look into AC, Calmini, Oldman Emu and Sway Away.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Nice! I spend some time in Kingston, been posted out since October to Qc, but I'm there from time to time, hopefully be there for 2 months for course this summer. I'm a Solar Yellow truck too! If you want to do some trails with local guys, check out the Kingston 4x4 Club. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/64060644553/

I've wheeled with them a few times and Rick has a map of local trails, and a few ones that he knows personally, so once you're truck is trail ready, check them out. They've saved my ass once, and I've saved their asses many times, haha! They're mostly Jeep guys, but great crew.
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Shaynerama »

hahaha no worries @the x kid, i plan to go to CT and get some PBblaster and spray them tomorrow along with my seized front drivers lower shock mount so I can get to finishing the install of my new sensa-tracs and doing that re-indexing. I also priced out some torsion bars and shackles both from AC, and they seem pretty good in terms of price and quality- I like their payment options they have too... And if I were to do any wheeling with the kingston club (or in general), @Nd4SpdSe I assume I would need to have a few recovery points on the rig... a couple tow hooks on the front and rear? and spare tire and recovery strap? may not do it with this truck, but Id just like to know for future reference haha (say, when I have some money out of college). And thanks for the warm welcomes all!

cheers, Shayne
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Shaynerama wrote:And if I were to do any wheeling with the kingston club (or in general), @Nd4SpdSe I assume I would need to have a few recovery points on the rig... a couple tow hooks on the front and rear? and spare tire and recovery strap? may not do it with this truck, but Id just like to know for future reference haha (say, when I have some money out of college).
The factory tow hook and hitch work well. You can get a receiver recovery shackle at PA and they sell recovery straps for a good price too. Spare tire is always a good idea to have just DDing, but I don't think I've ever really seen anyone blow a tire off-roading, but it's good to be self-sufficient. They do like the mud as an FYI, and there are a few that run with them.
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Shaynerama »

hey guys, Im attempting to do my re indexing soon with all the nice weather :woot: . I did a mock run of it today, sprayed all of the adjuster bolts with PB and jacked it up parallel with the rear, and It looks pretty good. but when I just went to see if the adjuster bolts would move (and they did) I realized that they are stuck together when I spin them. Now if I spin them together will that rip the threads on the bolt? and if any of you have done this before, any tips/hints? I know Im a bit of a newbie at 17, but I think I can do it! :teeth:

Cheers!
nige
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

Use 2 wrenches :D

welcome!
OF4WD Member #5472
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

17! Youngest in the club.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Newcomer from Kingston

Post by Jayman »

I can't see that doing any damage, as long as the nuts aren't being overly difficult to turn. They put two nuts on there so that one can't back out on you.

They will separate if you can get a couple wrenches on them. I know that there is not a lot of room to work in there, but it can be done.

Best way to do it is to have one wrench on the bottom nut, and then your second wrench on the top nut, but off to the left so that they make a V. Then you just have to squeeze the snot out of it until they separate.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Shaynerama
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Shaynerama »

Haha! Thanks for the tips guys, I'm gonna try it this coming weekend I believe, and you're right @jayman, there isn't allot of room to work with xD and I guess I'm not 17 for long my birthday is on Wednesday!

Cheers