Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

R51 Diesel conversion/Front and Rear SAS

Post by HotWod »

So, I'm stuck here in Nord Quebec... I've got a lot of time to spend with myself (I can't mingle with anyone due to a lack of communication ability) so I conjure up ideas for the future.
My beloved Pepsi isn't getting any less rusty or Mileage-y, I figure I may as well research my next rig. I've waded through all the items I want to look for in a truck and no ONE automaker comes up with all my Pros checked off. First and foremost I want a Frame, secondly I want diesel (its all I work with at work, I see how well it functions), third I need something that will seat the eventual "family"... And last , it needs to be less Rusty.
I've come to the conclusion I'm gonna tackle the R51! It has a frame, the seating and rustlessness are pretty much a given and the diesel is within my grasp.
What I need help with is more eyes scanning the newspapers/kijiji/auctions/side of the road sales for a cheap R51. Preferable with no engine! Hahaha
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: R51 Diesel conversion/Front and Rear SAS

Post by Morpheus »

You would probably be better to find one that's blown out its transmission and has higher mileage, so the owner doesn't want to fix it.

Cheapest pathy I see on trader right now is around $9000, or you can go all out for an armada for only a couple grand more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
lookzcustoms
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Titan CC offroad
Year: 2006
Tim's: not sure

Post by lookzcustoms »

how about an import from japan, unless its get lost at sea lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38jDQkkaxT8#at=260
Uprev Injen intake JBA headers Cajun B-pipes Stillen Rad RC traction bars PRG UCA steering heim joints 2"Leveling kit 5100 Bilsteins Brake Performace Premium Brake Rotors & Calipers Nismojunky grounding kit BlackedOut Rims
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

$6750 on kijiji for an 05.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

HotWod

Post by HotWod »

You have a link Mike?!
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

HotWod

Post by HotWod »

For some reason. Mine will only search the GTA
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Where the hell is Nord,Quebec.
HotWod

Post by HotWod »

*North* K-bec!
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

They fly you in? Thats adventure land.Hows the weather?
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

dude. jdm nissan patrol, i'll say it yet again...lol. unless you've tried lookin for insurance and have had difficulty? a dudes sellin a cherry shorty in quebec even. talk to him and he'll convince you, i'm certain of it, lol.

or come to the dark side where there's way more options for diesels and solid axles...just sayin. who gives a s*** about brand loyalty... they're all japanese anyway..;)

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z498982558
good buy if it checks out, or you can flip to the americans and make money, lol. 6grand.."take it...and go..." russell peters, lol.

or drop a diesel/5spd combo in this cherry land cruiser.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z507031911

(just think, these diesel swaps have been documented a tonne and you can get solid toyota "mine truck" motors easily and easy to get parts for, 1HZ turboed diesel with the bombproof 5 spd and you've got one solid truck that'll laaaaaast)

imho, i just think there's an easier way for you to get what you need for a future family with diesel and solid axles with what i'm thinking will be less headaches and better resale value down the road.

BUT, a diesel swapped R51 with axles...now THAT would be somethin unique! hey, what diesels have you thought about? isuzus? cummins? would it be easy to remove all the computer/electronic BS in the r51 and run a simple "one wire" diesel motor...?

curious what your "pro's list" has that needs to be checked off that no one company can accomplish?
HotWod

Post by HotWod »

Yeah I've considered the JDM. But the lack of LHD and the difficulty and expense that comes along with the aftermarket. I may as well go as close to the platform I'm already familiar with to avoid wading through an entirely new learning curve. With all that said. I may not go this route if my line on the diesel power plant falls through.
I've looked into the Nissan TD32EETI. But the modifications to get at least SOME HP out of it let me to look elsewhere. THEN I found the Nissan/Renault V9X. It was actually offered in the 2010 R51 (everywhere but here) and produces 240 HP and 410ft/lbs of torque out of the box. No HP modifications NEEDED. Also with it coming as standard with the R51 the engine harnesses should match up for the most part just have to swap the ECU.
The suspension I'll just do what I did with the R50 or go for the one ton axles depending on what I can find. I know the 05+ xterra has D44 type rear. And its approximately the same weight as the R51. So I nay save some time there just using the axles I have and building new links. I'd like a triangulated 4link in the rear. I haven't actually gotten under one to measure yet. So that's where I am!!!!
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's a Titan-based platform. Is there anything you can use from the truck?
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
HotWod

Post by HotWod »

I haven't found anything from the titan. As far as diesel goes. And nothing with the drive line either. I love the availability and pricing on most of the Dana Products. And so far I haven't had any problems with shafts/C's or anything like that failing (which is strange because its all scrap yard stuff)
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

hmm, well, toyota's been selling diesels here for over 30 years, tonne's of them outlasting the body, still tickin strong. and it's safe to say that there's way more aftermarket support for toyota. i mentioned isuzus and cummins only because those are popular swaps in toyotas and other rigs (at least from my searches/observations) only b/c they are readily available and easy to get parts for as well. those nissan diesels you mentioned are definitely rare birds in n.america and i can only imagine finding parts for those will be a lot harder. and if something major happens, you are in for a long wait and high shipping costs for parts. toyota/isuzu/mitsu/cummins diesel parts are all over locally.

the learning curve you speak off, i can only assume, will be the same if you did a diesel swap on any other truck/engine combo. i mean, come on, you're a hardcore gearhead and can figure stuff out, it's just metal and measurements. it's also my undersetanding that these modern diesels aren't as robust and reliable as the old ones (toyotas included), full of electronic stuff needing computer diagnostics, etc.. whereas a simple one wire toyota OR a safari td4.2 diesels (or even older isuzu's and cummin's) will outlast these modern engines.

lhd? you can find european diesel safaris, already with stout axles and the td4.2. guess it boils down to funds and what your ultimate goals are. but i can respect the need for a "newer" rig just for the sake of it being "newer". rhd takes 2 weeks to get used to, no biggy, everyone out west have no issues with them. rhd/jdm opens up so many options for you if you can get used to rhd. just think, the next gen safari is already available and most consider that the LAST of the tried and tested safaris (can you tell i'm an oldschool purist kinda guy?).

here's a popular rig/diesel combo. an fzj80/landcruiser gasser (or lexus lx450) with diesel. they already come with solid axles AND can have ff/rr elockers standard.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ ... istry.html

(you can still find clean american 80's/or canadian lx450s with factory lockers and even though older, they've held their value quite well and are amazingly reliable)

nevertheless, i would totally be stoked for you if you can pull off a diesel r51 with axles! i'd say drop a cummins in there instead!
HotWod

Post by HotWod »

I'm not 100% stuck on the idea. I've contemplated the lx450, and I'm still toying with the idea. Just never been around them so I'd be going in fairly blind. I can see the R51 project in my mind, but the land cruiser or patrol is about as foreign as it gets to me. Hahaha
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

fair enough. i hear ya dude! we "fear" the unkown, it's a normal human trait. well, next time we're on the trails, you can have a look at my yota, take it for a spin, yatta yatta. my first truck was a pathy, thought i'd try something else (and when i had the 2dor 89, i even despised the 4 runners, silly brand loyalties, lol. little did i know...and I still have lots to learn). and no, you wouldn't be going in blind cuz i have one and i know a few that do and there's a tonne of support on sontt/ih8mud.

anyway, i'll quit now, i'm sure ya'lls are tired of my jdm/diesel rants.... :crazy: :confuse:

hey, btw, is that why you were invitin for a quinn lake run cuz you're already in K bec?! but hey, not sure how far you are from gatineau, hit this guy up maybe inquire about safaris and tell him romey sent you. i seriously considered this rig before i got the mitsu diesel minivan/more practical...and it's on sale again. Bowtied can probably also vouch for his knowledge and friendliness.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z505656052

he loves talkin trucks and safaris. he's also got 2 or 3 of them. he's got a wealth of knowledge on these trucks and he's buddies with the other hardcore safari guys out in BC. cheers.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

^ I emailed with Paul about Safaris a fair bit. I might have even bought one but I just couldn't afford to spend what it took to get a good one, and couldn't afford the time to get one that needed TLC. I am not saying you should run out and get one, but if you were thinking of getting a Safari- Paul is likely the foremost expert in this country. He had an affordable rig several months back he was looking to part with but I just couldn't spend the time on a project with a family and new born.

Hey Romey,

Would you say to import a Safari or LC from Japan in top nick you'd be about $20k by the time you got it purchased/shipped home, fluids/tires/OOP/safety/etest and licensed? Last I checked the Yen was down, so maybe this isnt/true now....

Rod, check this, it is in Ontario already: http://bonsairides.com/listing/landcrui ... h-lockers/
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
HotWod

Post by HotWod »

Nice, thanks Ron. I tried emailing those guys with only a "invalid email" message returned.
Not exactly what you're looking for from someone who is most likely going to take your monies Hahaha
Well I'm glad I posted this thread. Seems to be a huge help so far. Both in helping my hair brained idears and forming new ones as well!
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

that's odd, craig at bonsais pretty quick to reply and he's got awesome customer service (i know a couple guys that have bought from him).

anyway,

12grand, baselined from Mardy at amazing auto. i can vouch for him as we bought our delica from him and he's i'd say top on the list for jdm importers.

http://www.delica.ca/trader/index.php?o ... esel_5_Spd

think this has been posted before

http://www.delica.ca/trader/index.php?o ... i_LWB_5SPD

very nice rig and has some bonus mods already done!

Ron, 20G's will get you a high auction mint safari, 98's can be imported now and that's the next gen safari that looks more "modern". but i've yet to see them sell that high (landcruisers though, have sold close to 20Gs)

kijiji "nissan safari" in alberta and BC and there's a couple more. (there might be 4 for sale in all of canada right now, at least on kijiji, and Paul has the nicest shorty probably ever landed in Canada)

if you've got time Rod, read up on landcruisers on ih8mud, particularly the 80 series/lx450 ;) there's tonnes of them in n.america. the next gen lx470 or 100 series got the IFS (but still sold with solid front and diesel in africa/australia). there's a reason why the united nations has thousands of these (and safaris) in their fleet in bare bones trim..they call them "poverty package", lol.

. . . just being a bad influence, that's all... lol.