Plate Bumper

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
4runner
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: toyota
Year: 2000

Plate Bumper

Post by 4runner »

Anybody know of a welding business that could fab up a plate bumper in the ottawa area? I've been looking at RHF but reviews are mixed
Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Re: Plate Bumper

Post by Spider 007 »

Yeah, stay away from these guys. Everyone I know who dealt with them weren't happy with their service or their products. I think "hillbillys" was the term most commonly used...
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Somebody had a front bumper made at the National 4wd in Smith Falls. They were bought by 4wheel parts though.Worth a shot.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

HolidayNation was the one that got it done.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:HolidayNation was the one that got it done.
He lives close to you. Might be worth talking to him, try sending a PM.

Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
4runner

Post by 4runner »

Thanks for the input, I think I've been convinced to stay away from RHF, I'll send HolidayNation a PM.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

4runner wrote:Thanks for the input, I think I've been convinced to stay away from RHF, I'll send HolidayNation a PM.
Eric's (Holidaynation) bumper was custom fabbed by Dan @ National in Smiths Falls based on a design that Eric and he had come up with. It is not techincally a plate bumper, but a tube bumper instead.

He's been busier then a bee in a meadow lately, so response time for you PM may be a little longer.

I was going to suggest talking to Dan @ National as well. He basically runs a full custom fab shop, and can do pretty much anything that you are looking for. And because he's connected to National (now 4Wheelparts), he has access to their full line of products, so can order pretty much anything in for you.

Now, as for LOCAL shops, there are plenty of them in Ottawa, but I'm not sure how many of them are up to the task of building a custom front bumper. I have yet to find one that I would trust to doing this kind of work. I've always gone with off the shelf stuff, or having some custom work done by a member here. Unfortunately, that member is not doing custom stuff anymore... :(

I would suggest connecting with the Eastern Ontario Trail Blazers (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2368988076/?fref=ts) to see if any of the guys in the group there now of any shops local to us that could do something up for you.

CommandoJK (Ryan) has had some custom work done by RHF on both his previous truck (2nd Gen Xterra), as well as his current Jeep, so you could also connect with him to see what he has to say about his experiences with them. If you look on the RHF website, the pics they have of the 2nd Gen Xterra is his truck, so...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
4runner

Post by 4runner »

Jayman wrote:
Eric's (Holidaynation) bumper was custom fabbed by Dan @ National in Smiths Falls based on a design that Eric and he had come up with. It is not techincally a plate bumper, but a tube bumper instead.

He's been busier then a bee in a meadow lately, so response time for you PM may be a little longer.

I was going to suggest talking to Dan @ National as well. He basically runs a full custom fab shop, and can do pretty much anything that you are looking for. And because he's connected to National (now 4Wheelparts), he has access to their full line of products, so can order pretty much anything in for you.

Now, as for LOCAL shops, there are plenty of them in Ottawa, but I'm not sure how many of them are up to the task of building a custom front bumper. I have yet to find one that I would trust to doing this kind of work. I've always gone with off the shelf stuff, or having some custom work done by a member here. Unfortunately, that member is not doing custom stuff anymore... :(

I would suggest connecting with the Eastern Ontario Trail Blazers (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2368988076/?fref=ts) to see if any of the guys in the group there now of any shops local to us that could do something up for you.

CommandoJK (Ryan) has had some custom work done by RHF on both his previous truck (2nd Gen Xterra), as well as his current Jeep, so you could also connect with him to see what he has to say about his experiences with them. If you look on the RHF website, the pics they have of the 2nd Gen Xterra is his truck, so...
I was originally going to order this bumper off the shelf, but unfortunately the company no longer exists. I have seen the picture of the 2nd gen Xterra on the RHF website and thought that bumper looked awesome. I contacted RHF with pictures of what I was looking for and they said they could replicate it for a decent price and within 2-3 days after dropping the truck off. I'll get in contact EOTB and see what they recommend. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing in the next few days. Thanks again for all the input. By the way this is the bumper design im going for.

IMG_3151 by BryanHynes, on Flickr
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

I like the looks of it.

I bit of advice. Pick your winch, or narrow down your list of possible winches, before starting the build. You need to ensure mounting (pretty standard), room for the solenoid block, access for the controller, and access to the spool/drum lever.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
4runner

Post by 4runner »

As far as winches it will most likely be a smittybilt 8000lb or TJM 9000lb but I probably wont be getting one until later on down the road, maybe in December. For now I'll have to rely on my hi-lift or other members to get me out when I'm in a pinch. I dropped the truck off at the shop Sunday and the bumper should be ready tomorrow or Thursday. I'll post pics as soon as I get it back.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

4runner wrote:As far as winches it will most likely be a smittybilt 8000lb or TJM 9000lb but I probably wont be getting one until later on down the road, maybe in December. For now I'll have to rely on my hi-lift or other members to get me out when I'm in a pinch. I dropped the truck off at the shop Sunday and the bumper should be ready tomorrow or Thursday. I'll post pics as soon as I get it back.

Which Shop did you end up going with?
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
4runner

Post by 4runner »

Jayman wrote:

Which Shop did you end up going with?
I went with RHF, to get a shrockworks or 4xinnovations bumper it was going to cost 1300+ and national4wd also wanted to much. I wasn't happy with the size of hoops, but I plan to cut them down or just take them off all together. Other than that its strong and provides much better clearance than the stock bumper. I'm building a rear bumper myself in a week or two once things settle down at work/school. Here's pic what do you guys think?

IMG-20131004-00928 by BryanHynes, on Flickr
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Anesh
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 2/2 coffee and donut

Post by Anesh »

Bow_Tied wrote:Image
x2

looks a bit like this one

4runner

Post by 4runner »

yeah it has similar bends in the tubes of the bumper, here is a pic of the bumper a friend and i built over this past week.

IMG-20131020-00963 by BryanHynes, on Flickr
4runner

Post by 4runner »

Heres a quick video I put together of the Aussie locker install and rear bumper build

HotWod
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

I almost pooped a little there... I thought you put an AUS is an xterra. Phew!
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
4runner

Post by 4runner »

HotWod wrote:I almost pooped a little there... I thought you put an AUS is an xterra. Phew!
Would that have been a bad thing lol?
WayneO
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Titan Pro-4x CC 4x4
Year: 2010
Tim's: LgCoffee; 1-milk, 1-sugar

Post by WayneO »

Nice vid... and great bumper. The 4runner is looking bad azz. I just traded in a 2006 4runner limited on my Titan. I contemplated modding it up (I loved the 4runner, amazing vehicles) but I wanted a truck for towing and hauling stuff.... the 4runner was just too restricted in those areas.

:cool:
2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4x CC 4x4
Truck Specs and Pics
4runner

Post by 4runner »

WayneO wrote:Nice vid... and great bumper. The 4runner is looking bad azz. I just traded in a 2006 4runner limited on my Titan. I contemplated modding it up (I loved the 4runner, amazing vehicles) but I wanted a truck for towing and hauling stuff.... the 4runner was just too restricted in those areas.

:cool:
Thanks! yes while the 4runner is a great vehicle it does not have the best towing capabilities. Titans are much better suited in that area and If I had to tow anything more than a jetski I would be looking at a Titan.