Thanks to Milton Nissan again.

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Thanks to Milton Nissan again.

Post by PiDGE »

Big thanks to the crew at Milton Nissan. Clutch got swaped out....yes again. Replaced the center Force with a stock unit. Back on the road again and rides great. Bump for good service. Thanks Mike and Taylor. Great job. :thumbup:
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Thanks to Milton Nissan again.

Post by Bow_Tied »

What happened to the centre force? They are good clutches in my experience.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
PiDGE

Post by PiDGE »

Oh it goes back to the intial install I think. Long story short had a buddy/neibour bang in the new rear main seal, next day noticed a leak under the truck and knew right away the nightmare that was upon me. I had driven the truck maybe 30 kilometers before I noticed the leak. I took it in to a tranny shop and they said the disc had oil on it and they cleaned it the best they could. Seemed to drive great and had no real issues on the street. Out in the woods it would slip in 2wd, but not 4wd for whatever reason. Even on some real moderate trails. Sometime in November I was crusing around headind to work and would notice it would pop out of cruise contol on the littlest of grades uphill. I sorta kinda ignored it thinking it might be a head wind, but after a bunch more times and punching the gas with cruise off it would slip in 5th and 6th. The day I took it in to Milton I punched it in 4th going up hill and it slipped as well for the first time in 4th. Im sure it was an oil on the disc thing that caused the premature slippage. I seen the old parts and the disc didnt look to bad at all. Still had alot of usable left, but the bugger was not working right. Flywheel had a bunch of hot spots on it as well so Im not sure if that played a role as well. If it was warped I guess it could cause some slippage. So far so good. I hope it lasts another 100km. Truck currently has aprox. 261km and Id like to make it to 300km.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Ah. Makes sense. Did you resurface or replace the flywheel?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
FrontyFlyer
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Frontier KC
Tim's: R

Post by FrontyFlyer »

Bow_Tied wrote:Ah. Makes sense. Did you resurface or replace the flywheel?
X2

I've heard the FW is re-surfacable cause its a balanced dual mass. In the few clutch threads Ive read, noone replaced or resurfaced them and didnt run into any issues.

Keeping a close eye on these clutch threads, my stocker is going to give up any time. I've seen these flywheels go from $450 - $1100 plus another 200-300 for the clutch assembly... I'm curious what, sounds like an 'honest' dealer would do in your case
05' Frontier 6speed- 35"s locked, lifted, broken in
PiDGE

Post by PiDGE »

Replaced with a new unit BowTied.

As far as I know those stock 2 piece or whatever there called cannot be resurfaced. Your still on the stock one? wow! You make me sound like a noob driving stick Flyer lol.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

The flywheel was f'ed bad, you could see it had been cooked. Per the FSM its non-machinable. The dual flywheel has a kind of clutch/spring assembly of its own that separates the engine and the flywheel surfaces.

I can't see someone successfully machining one. I'm sure it could be physically bolted onto a lathe, but it's not a solid mass like a 70's Chevy flywheel is, the inner and outter assemblies rotate independently of each other, I couldn't see someone actually successfully cutting a new surface on the disc. It would move around and rotate while on the lathe.

If you were experimenting yourself and were willing to re&re the transmission a second time if a machining failed, go for it, in this case when paying labour to have it done its better to follow the manual.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
FrontyFlyer
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Frontier KC
Tim's: R

Post by FrontyFlyer »

Its fair game in the 200k+ club. I dont think even the best of manual drivers can make a contaminated disk last forever though.

At least its a little reassurance the stock is a good unit and should last. You might not be able to clamp rubber in every gear anymore but I've never had the stocker loose grip on me once engaged. Was the initial seal a courtesy replacement or was it leaking before? If the previous seal leaked on the original disk as well, I promise to never criticize your stick driving ever agian lol
05' Frontier 6speed- 35"s locked, lifted, broken in
PiDGE

Post by PiDGE »

Nah it was suppose to be "preventable maintenance" while the tranny was out. Shoulda left the thing alone, but buddy said he could do it. Oh well lesson learned. I don't get into layin patchs of rubber anyways so this one should be good for a while to come.