wheel hubs...

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier
Year: 2002
Tim's: black coffee

wheel hubs...

Post by re-ride »

I have a 2002 Frontier 4x4.When I am in 2wd travelling forward and I reach 35 to 40 km/hr there is a metallic rubbing noise consistent with the wheel speed, then a loud clunk and everything is as normal, I can stop and go at any aped, unless I stop and reverse then the same thing will happen once again around 35 km/hr, If the truck is in 4wd I can go forward, backward any speed with no issues, for some reason reversing in 2wd sets up a problem. They are auto locking hubs, and reversing is how you disengage them, I'm just not sure what's going on, something is sticking or not engaging properly, does anyone have any input please and thanks
Jake
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: wheel hubs...

Post by Simon »

Your hubs are sticking. Take them off, clean, and LIGHTLY grease them. If they've been heavily greased, this can cause the issue you're experiencing. I use Fluid Film to lube my hubs (mine are manual, but it should work well for autos as well)
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Did you google that, Simon, or did you just happen to know that :)
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Experience. I overgreased a set of auto hubs on my first Pathfinder, and had the same issue. Random grinding/clunking.

And Google also told me so. :)
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

What Simon says (lol). Had this problem on my old pf as well. I had replaced my broken hub with a used one and it had been "greased" by the previous owner. Any time it got remotely cold out, same thing happened. I used fluid film as well.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by re-ride »

So it would seem that the hubs are damaged and cannot be rebuilt, there is a plastic ring inside that is broken, I didn't see it, that is what the mechanic said. A new auto hub from Nissan is about $350 and I need 2, another option I found is Rugged Ridge manuals for half that price, and I can find Warn that will fit 2001 frontiers, but nothing for 2002. I don't care auto vs manual really, just thought there'd be more options, a quick google search does not help, other then older hardbody hubs are supposed to be the best, but I'm sure they won't fit. At this point I'm looking at the RR manuals as my only option. I'm not a very aggressive off roader, when I shift I stop and shift into N then engage 4wd, usually disengage after 4wheelin, and really only use 4x4 in winter and a few times camping in summer, so I don't think the OEM hubs were abused, though they are 12 years old. Anyhow thanks for the replies and if anyone has more suggestions I'd like to hear
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Rock Auto has the Rugged Ridge $155 for the pair.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... type,14103

It shows the same part for the 01 and the 02, I can't see why a Warn for an 01 wouldn't work up to the 04. I'm not experienced with the Frontier's but the platform didn't change until the 2005 with the introduction of the D40.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by re-ride »

yeah that's where I'm not sure, Warn lists hubs up to 2001 then nothing after that, so I'm really curious what range of years and models are compatible with a 2002 frontier
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Should be all to 2004. As far as I remember even the WD21 Pathfinder hubs work, but they seem to install better, not needing a washer or something, which was ironic.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by re-ride »

well if earlier models will work that opens up my options a bit. Right now the only ones I can find listed for the 02 are rugged ridge for $155 a pair from rock auto. Warn has hubs listed for the 2001 Frontier which is 28 spline, 6 bolt, which should fit my truck, but I believe it requires longer studs which are part of the package. The price for them from 4wheel parts is $246, which I hope is for a pair but it does not say. And finally I found Mile Markers which are listed for 1990-1996 nissans, 28 spline 6 bolt. These were $132 a pair from 4wheel online.
I'm thinking of the mile markers if they will fit and if I can get them in Ontario
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Nissan also makes (made) manual hubs for the 98-04 Frontiers, 200-2004 Xterras and a bunch of years for the Pathfinders and Hardbodies. They were actually made by Warn, branded with the Nissan logo.

They are becoming harder and harder to find, as they don't produce them anymore, but they are interchangeable across certain years if you can find them in stock somewhere.

1990-1995 Hardbody, 1990-2004 Pathfinder 1999-2004 Xterra & Frontier with 3.0 & 3.3 Liter engines

Anything from the above noted years will fit your truck.

For the record, I have Warn Manual hubs from a 2001 Pathfinder on my -02 Xterra.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I just replaced the Warn hubs on mine (2000 X). Apparently the price has gone up considerably on Warn hubs for our trucks. Like hitting the $300 barrier. Got mine at cost, due to a rather friendly mechanic - about $220-.

Warn only sells in pairs - so that price is for the set...

Scott
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by re-ride »

So now I'm considering Warn premium, is there a reliable source or site to order from? Also would any warranty be valid if the hub was installed on a truck not listed as being for that hub? And can anyone verify if longer studs or bolts are required for installation?
And Scott, where was your friendly mechanic and might he have more hubs?
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

He did the hubs at cost as I also did the CVs, bearings, rotors and a few other odds and ends. The total cost was 1500, with the hubs. I think he felt bad for me.

Dude's name is Jay at Elite auto in Elora. Call him.

Sent from my iThingy
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

The auto hubs are held on with bolts, the manual hubs are held on with studs.

IIRC the manual hub kit comes with the studs you need to swap them over. Scotto can chime in if he just bought a set.

If you don't offroad a lot, you may find that the manual hubs are a lot more aggravation than they are worth, especially in the winter.

Having to get out of the truck in -25 weather and lock your hubs just to shift to 4wd is a pain in the ass.

IMO, the only reason to get manual hubs is for the additional strength they provide for offroading. The inconvenience vs cost savings for daily driving is not worth it, but again, that's just my opinion, and you need to make your own decision.

If it's only 1 auto hub that's broken, you should be able to get a used auto hub from a local wrecking yard.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Arent the actally Nissan ones not as long? Especially running OEM offset rims, they could get banged up since they stick out?
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by re-ride »

both hubs are being replaced, there is no chance the wreckers around here would have a Nissan in their yard. I've ordered the Warns, will get them Monday depending on the weather. The truck stays in 4wd for most of the winter, esp this one, so I'd just leave the hubs locked for the winter, no inconvenience there. Thanks for all the info
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Yup. The manual hubs come with studs. I like the manuals. But I admit to PITA moments when you have to get out to move them. Like at a stop sign on a hill, and everyone behind is waiting. Feels a little dorky.

Sent from my iThingy
comboguy
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier 4WD

Post by comboguy »

re-ride wrote:both hubs are being replaced, there is no chance the wreckers around here would have a Nissan in their yard. I've ordered the Warns, will get them Monday depending on the weather. The truck stays in 4wd for most of the winter, esp this one, so I'd just leave the hubs locked for the winter, no inconvenience there. Thanks for all the info
I have read about your hub issues for your 2002 Frontier. I have the exact same problem with my 2002 S/C 3.3 liter model and am interested in installing the Warns. Was your conversion to the Warn hubs successful? Did you order the 2001 hubs? Thanks for input from anyone.
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Late to the party :o

The broken plastic bit may not be broken if it is part of the fixed cam assembly (see pic). I think it is split so it is a tight fit (held in place with a spring clamp). Mine has been like this for years and never had to replace it.

It is disconcerting when you take the cam assembly apart and it looks like you just broke the piece. It can be a PITA to put back together but it can be done.

Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.