VG33ER

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier
Year: 2002
Tim's: black coffee

VG33ER

Post by re-ride »

I just had a few questions about the supercharged engine. My truck is an 02 and just passed 120,000km which is pretty low for the year, I think. How reliable have the blowers been on these engines? I've had the truck for 6 years with no real problems, and I'd like to keep it that way. I seen on other forums that people claim there is a certain mileage point where the superchargers start failing, but I don't remember the number. Also in the back of my mind I think I'm overdue for a timing belt/chain replacement. Is this a fairly routine job, and would I be best to go to a dealer for this? The closest to me is Baywest in Owen Sound and I have no idea what they are like for service. If the belt could be done in an afternoon, I might travel to Milton as that location gets high praise on this site.
At some point I'd like to trade uo to the newer Frontier but that won't happen this year, so I'm just looking to hear from anyone with experience or advice with this engine.
Thanks
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: VG33ER

Post by Morpheus »

We replaced a fair share of blowers when they were under warranty, but obviously haven't seen any for a while. They developed a knock noise at idle.

My opinion is because they are sealed lubricated, this must wear out over time. I'm not sure if anyone's taken one apart to try any maintenance on it.

The timing belt isn't due till 160,000km, however time pays a big role in the deterioration of a rubber belt. At 12 years old, if it's the original belt, I would strongly suggest changing it.

If the belt breaks, due to the design of the engine, it will damage the valves, and you'll most likely end up having to replace the engine.

Give us a shout some time at the shop 905-878-4137 and we can look after it for you.

We also have free replacement loaner cars you can use while your vehicle is in the shop.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

From Hanover it will be about a 2 hour trip into Milton but it is worth going a place that has a known rep. I can vouch for the work Milton does. Maybe look at getting the service done with a coffee meet. I'll go.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by re-ride »

So Milton is the place to go then? Roughly how much time and $$ would be involved in the belt replacement? Is there any other work that I should consider at the same time?
Morpheus
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

I generally recommend people budget for about $1000 for a timing belt to be safe.

It may not end up being that much, but once you open it up, if you find cam seals leaking, or drive belts and/or hoses that need to be done, it's the time to do it, do better safe than sorry.

for example, there's a couple small hoses behind the thermostat housing that when you open it up you will sometimes find have been slowly leaking over time. They would need to be changed when everything was apart.

You always put a new waterpump, tensioner, and other associated parts in at the same time, so it's more than just the timing belt it's self.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Yup, Milton is the place to go. Mike's gotcha covered ;)
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

My SC was replaced under warranty at around 85k kms, I haven't had any problems with the replacement unit at all.

There is a thread on the board somewhere that talks about replacing the oil in the SC, so it is possible to do it, but it's not a step that is recommended or required by Nissan.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by re-ride »

Yeah I've read those threads and was thinking of changing the oil, I had to do the knock sensor relocate last year, and this winter I notice the "coffee grinder" noise from under the hood, however my truck only gets started every 2 or 3 days and its 20 or 30 below, so funny noises don't concern me much. After a few mins the noise is gone, and its only been during the cold temps. I will be scheduling the timing belt soon, and I'm having the hubs replaced this week. If I have to replace the blower I'll be driving this truck till the wheels fall off
Lukexskywalker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Tim's: lg black coffee

Post by Lukexskywalker »

Changing the oil is easy, you just need a fluid extractor of some sort with a small piece of fuel line to get in there. I got my oil from ford (motorcraft), the Ford t birds and such use a eaton sc like ours. I did A bit more of a write up somewhere on here lol.
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by re-ride »

So it also seems that my oil pan is rusted and leaking and replacement involves removing the front diff, anyone have experience with this?
I've been pretty lucky the last 6 years with minimal expense involved with this truck, now things are adding up.
Lukexskywalker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Tim's: lg black coffee

Post by Lukexskywalker »

Front diff isn't that hard to do. Its nice to have two people removing and installing it because it is a little heavy for one person but it can be done with one person just need to use a jack to help you.

1. Pop upper BJ off of spindle
2. Unbolt cv shafts from diff (now with it un bolted and ball joint separated from spindle the spindle and cv assembly can move out of the way a bit)
3. Un bolt front drive shaft
4. Pop diff vent off
5. Un bolt front diff cross members