Coolant leak

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
ptbo_hunter
Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2003

Coolant leak

Post by ptbo_hunter »

Today I noticed a bit of coolant on the snow. Most of it was on the drivers side with a drop or two on the passenger side. I took a quick look but couldn't see any leaking from in the engine bay. I will have a closer look from below. Anyone have any suggestions as to where it might be from? After driving it for a while and shutting it off I sometimes smell burning as well.
Thx in advance!
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Re: Coolant leak

Post by Scotto »

Perhaps the throttle assembly. I do believe there is a possibility of a coolant leak from the throttle body (underneath it). Couple of folks here on the forum have had the problem. Run your finger around the throttle and check that area out. I suspect a not too complicated fix - might just be a hose in there that is old. I'd add more, but I never had the problem, and don't recall the details too well of the fix (think it was Medic who had the issue for sure - he would have had Milton Nissan fix it... Do a search in problems & fixes for his posts...)

Scott
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

There is also a bypass hose behind the timing cover that can leak. I just did this on my friends xterra. If you look to the left of the distributor you can see the top if of it.

The one geoffrey is referring to is the wax pot element (i think that is what it's called) and is fairly easy to spot. You will see green crust around it, if it is leaking.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Obviously go for the earlier items first but would the water pump also be suspicious? Depending on mileage and how long ago it was replaced.

Did you notice a drop in fluid level?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

If your seeing it on both sheds it might be the head gaskets. They tend leak in the back of the cyl heads. Travelling down the block.
ptbo_hunter
Lugnut
Lugnut
Year: 2003

Post by ptbo_hunter »

It looks like there is a leak from the throtle body element. Can this be removed without taking the throtle body off itself? I believe the o-ring just needs replacing? Anyone know the size of oring?