Oil pressure sender sensor how to 2005 4.0 V6

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Oil pressure sender sensor how to 2005 4.0 V6

Post by PiDGE »

In a nut shell, the other day I noticed the oil gauge pegged at high. Motor sounded fine and everything else seemed normal. I remembered reading somewhere about failing oil pressure sender sensors and went looking in google. Found a few leads with the same symptoms which all pointed to a bad sensor that when goes bad reads high oil pressure. Hoping thats all it was I ordered one from Nissan and swaped it out. Looks to be that's all it was as it now reads normal on my dash gauge. Here's a little how to for others experiencing the same thing.
Step1: Drain oil. I should note I'm not 100% sure if this is nessasary, but did it anyways.
Step2: Locate sensor. Hard to describe, but it's sitting just around the corner on the side of the block from the oil filter in the passanger side.
Step2 pic Image
Step2 pic Image

Step3:Disconnect harness from sensor. I should note that 05 and early 06's had a different sensor from the later 06's to present. Mine (2005) had the three pin connector while the later models had a one pun connector.
Step3 pic Image

Step4: have a smoke

Step5:using a 15/16 wrench, which is 24mm I think (deep socket required if going that route) back out the old sensor. Have a rag at hand as oil will still pour from the hole.

Step6:Teflon tape the threads if the new sensor and install back in block. I didn't have any torque specs, but the old factory one wasn't very tight at all. I just went by feel.
Step6 pic Image

Step7: plug harness back in (hopefully you've got the right one...three pin/one pin)

Step8: Fill the motor back up with oil and check for leaks. It's that easy.

Notes: on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest I'd rate this at a 2. Number 1 being you can drive :) The oddball wrench size may screw you. I got lucky and had that size thank god (15/16 Or 24mm I belive). I had to remove my engine skid as i only had a wrench, but a deep socket may allow you to keep that attached. Test drive confirms all is good again and another project complete. Here are a few more pics from the job.

Good luck and hope this helps out.

Pidge.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Re: Oil pressure sender sensor how to 2005 4.0 V6

Post by Adam »

Nice. When I did mine I broke the connector off the old one so the socket I had would fit. Tightened the new one with an adjustable wrench!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
PiDGE
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Re: Oil pressure sender sensor how to 2005 4.0 V6

Post by PiDGE »

Funny you mention that cause that ran they my head Adam lol. Still couldn't swing an adjustable though so skid came off. Not a big deal, but I hate removing those things and tryed very hard not to :)
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies