2014 Pro-4x / Help and Advice needed

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
DannyJ
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Titan Pro-4x
Year: 2014
Tim's: DD

2014 Pro-4x / Help and Advice needed

Post by DannyJ »

Hi All,

I am a member of Titan Talk, and posted a topic on there a few days regarding my Truck. A member of this site asked me to post it on here as you guys may be able to help me.

Let's start with the Truck -

2014 - Pro-4x CC in white with Every Option minus DVD in rests.
4700 Kms (brought with 120)
Brought - 29th January 2014
Financed with 10k down.

Me -

Male, 28. - Calgary, Canada
Work for Devon Energy south of Fort Mac in Alberta. Work a rotation shift, one week off one week on.

Story -

Had a 2012 Juke (fresh off the lot - July 12). With 37k on the clock I wanted something bigger so went to Brasso Nissan in Calgary where I got my Juke, and asked them to have a look at bigger vehicles. Fell in love with the Titan Pro-4x. That same day I went in there to browse I signed for my new Pro-4x.

I drove it a few K, went snowboarding in it every other day I was back from work. Which is why the mileage is at 4k. After a week I started noticing oil patches on my drive. The wife noticed it at first but I just brushed it off as not my trucks.
The wife got a little annoyed with the oil patches so I took it to Brasso.

They told me the truck had come from the factory defective. They told me they would repair the problem as it's under warranty (Duh) and give me a free loaner with no fuel charge for the hassle. Thought great - problem solved. This was March 29th 14. They had replaced the oil pan and all hoses. This is what they thought the problem was. Got the truck back. Went back to work. The wife moved the truck so the boys could play hockey on the drive. When she moved it she noticed fresh oil patches. I called her bluff and asked to move the truck to another part of the drive. She did so, and yup - more fresh oil patches.

Took the truck down to Brasso Nissan today and they told me - yup it's still leaking and that it must be another part of the engine. Marty the service guy said he needed to order parts and it would be fine. Thought great, fix it while I'm at work.

But then he said something that startled me. He told me they needed to remove the tranny to check and find the leak. This didn't bode well with me.

I'm not a mechanic, but removing a tranny to find a leak on a 3 month old truck doesn't seem right. I'm worried about future problems now. I'm certain I brought a lemon. It happens, life goes on. Them taking the tranny out could certainly lead to long term issues.

I have asked the dealership to either a) buy me out of my finance, swap the truck for a new one or give me lifetime warranty.

I just want to hear the forums thoughts on this. What would you do. I'm being told I should get a lawyer involved as there may be more underlying issues. I don't want to pay for a truck that sits in service all the time.

Any body wana give me there 2c?

Apologies for any typos - doing this on my crappy iPhone.

Thanks,
Danny
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Re: 2014 Pro-4x / Help and Advice needed

Post by Adam »

It could be the rear main seal which you usually need to remove the transmission to replace.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
DannyJ
Make/Model: Titan Pro-4x
Year: 2014
Tim's: DD

Post by DannyJ »

That's what other have said.

Any thoughts on it happening at such a low mileage?
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

I agree that it the trans removal is to inspect and maybe replace the rear main seal.

Rear main seal is the oil seal around the rear of the engine's crankshaft. If it is bad I would want to know why? Is there a flaw on the crankshaft? Bad seal? Improper install? Get the details.

You didn't say, so I presume it is an automatic. If it is a standard, a rear main could get oil on your clutch which is bad. This is the only thing that I'd be worried about.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

DannyJ wrote: I have asked the dealership to either a) buy me out of my finance, swap the truck for a new one or give me lifetime warranty.
I'll touch these points for you, and answer them bluntly, I hope you take the points with the spirit that is intended.

A) buy you out of your truck.

Your truck is now considered a used vehicle. They MAY do that, but you would not get what you paid for it, you would get get what it is worth. A new vehicle depreciates the most in its first 6-12 months of ownership.

B) swap the truck

This would be a trade in, trading a used vehicle for a new one. The same statements as above apply

C) lifetime warranty

There's no such thing. The most warranty you can get is 160,000km, and it's available to purchase as an extended warranty. There's no reason Nissan or the dealer would give you this full warranty coverage at no charge.

As for the repair, if the repair involves removing the transmission, or if it was a repair that involved removing the engine, or the interior, or simply bolting 1 part on and off, the repair is being done by factory trained technicians, not Canadian tire. However major it might seem, if it's what is needed to fix the truck, so be it, there's nothing that can be done to change the fact that it's leaking, just let them get it done for you.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

I agree with Morpheus. I know you don't want to trust them, but you have to, and I'd argue that maybe you "should" trust them.

The factory produced a truck with a problem, it happens. In our (work) analyses we generally reference 3 times in 1,000 for the number a times a well trained person with defined processes will fail, and in this case it could be as simple as a pinched seal. Let them do their job to fix it and rest assured that you have another 96,000 km of powertrain warranty for the repair to prove itself. If your worst fears are realised and the problem comes back or gets worse after the repair I'm confident that Nissan will "play ball" to make it right, but that's a not where you are now and it isn't time to even consider saying the word "lawyer".

You can also look at it this way, you're the "big shot" that's bought two new vehicles from this dealer in a short time period. Nissan doesn't have a heck of a lot of customers, especially those buying Titan's, so I'm sure they're aware of this. They want to maintain a good relationship with you, and YOU WANT TO MAINTAIN A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM. You know why? The dealer...the service manager...fights FOR YOU when you have a good relationship, and I'm sure your wife will tell you maintaining a relationship is all about you.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
lookzcustoms
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Titan CC offroad
Year: 2006
Tim's: not sure

Post by lookzcustoms »

any updates on this issue?
did they fix your truck yet?
Uprev Injen intake JBA headers Cajun B-pipes Stillen Rad RC traction bars PRG UCA steering heim joints 2"Leveling kit 5100 Bilsteins Brake Performace Premium Brake Rotors & Calipers Nismojunky grounding kit BlackedOut Rims