Pop/click on take off.

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Pop/click on take off.

Post by Adam »

I'm posting this for my friend, who's having this problem with his Xterra. The issue is that whenever you takeoff, on a hill, or after reversing, there is a pop coming from somewhere in the rear end. It's not a heavy thud or anything, just exactly a "pop". I looked under it today, had it on stands, the driveshaft felt tight, and there wasn't any slop in the diff, at least comparing it to my wd21. There isn't any noise or vibrations either so it has us confused.

Truck details:
03 Xterra SE with 4.9 gears and LSD rear end.
298k with what looks like all original shocks and suspension. Didn't notice any cracks in the leafs but I don't know the xterra as well as the pathy so maybe there is something common I'm missing. He says that he's going to replace the shocks on it when he gets paid next as it feels like driving a marshmallow.

Thanks guys!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Pop/click on take off.

Post by Bow_Tied »

could be a number of things. sway bar end linkscomes to mind, maybe other suspension bushings like control arms. maybe the lsd? Manual? > clutch linkage?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

It's an auto and I checked the mount it seems tight. I am just comparing it to the tightness of things on mine, which doesn't make noise. One of the swaybar endlinks is loose, I am going to take it off to see if that makes a difference. Though he said it was loose before this noise started, as it was one the list of things the shop found when they saftied it.

I have no idea on how to check the diff/LSD, would changing the fluid give an indication of a problem in there? The leafs look original and are almost flat. He told me last night that he might do a small lift on it while he replaces stuff.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Fyrtowr
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 06/02
Tim's: FV Cappy (Iced in Summer)

Post by Fyrtowr »

I have the same pop issue on my Xterra. Some days it sounds like a gun shot which doesn't bode very well when I'm leaving the customs booth. LOL.

Have had it for months and still have no clue what it is. Our rear sway bar snapped off years ago playing on the snow/ice piles at the Chrysler assembly plant down here so I know it ain't that.
"You meet a lot of ladies driving an Xterra because you pull up to a stoplight and look over and there's an Xterra next to you, they're always driven by chicks. So there's your ice breaker." ~ Andy Bernard; The Office
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

The more I think about this the more I am thinking it is brake shoes sticking. Our pathfinder will do this if it has been sitting for a few days with the e-brake on, especially if set on a downward hill (our driveway) before it was put in park. Everything seems fine until it rolls forward and a single 'pop' and it's done.

So I suggest a rear brake service (it can't hurt!!)
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Fyrtowr
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 06/02
Tim's: FV Cappy (Iced in Summer)

Post by Fyrtowr »

Hmm.... That would make sense actually.
"You meet a lot of ladies driving an Xterra because you pull up to a stoplight and look over and there's an Xterra next to you, they're always driven by chicks. So there's your ice breaker." ~ Andy Bernard; The Office