Problems with bluetooth mic

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
minidisco
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra OFFROAD
Year: 2010
Tim's: Iced Cap, biggest size

Problems with bluetooth mic

Post by minidisco »

I've done quite a bit of online reading on this topic before starting this long rant - and here's the summary of it:

- apparently the poor quality of the Nissan bluetooth mic and connection are known problems
- apparently Nissan switched vendors for the mic in 2009, and switched back in 2012
- apparently the mic used between 2009-2012 incl. is an incredibly crappy mic
- finally, apparently there are "random models" on the Xterra 09-12 that are missing the LED mic light

So mine, it seems, is one of the unfortunate models that has the miserable-quality bluetooth mic and the missing LED light module in the overhead unit. I've got a 2010 Xterra PRO, and I know the LED is missing because I popped out the dual-light console overhead and the bay where the LED light should be sits empty…

On the quality of sound issue, I've done some reading on packing the overhead console empty space with acoustic insulation - and I did that just the other day. I haven't had a chance to check out the "improved" quality yet, but I'll post an update once that becomes available - but based on what I read on the newXterra forum, some people have had marginal success with this, some have had stellar success, and some claim no improvement whatsoever. It is true that the space above the dual light unit was totally hollow, and I could only discern a small cube of rigid white styrofoam about half-way out above the driver's sun visor.. but nothing else anywhere up there. I packed it "lightly" with residential acoustic insulation.

The posts on the newXterra board suggest that the acoustics can be improved by reducing or replacing the empty hollow space in the roof with "denim" insulation (I didn't have any so I used residential yellow stuff) so that the reverb caused by the road wind hitting the wind deflector above doesn't continue to be exacerbated by the hollow gap in the roofing. This all makes sense, so I packed it. But the questions following remain:

1. why doesn't my truck have the LED light - and only has the small plexi "window" where the LED would be?
2. can the 2010 plug-in mic be replaced by another unit?
3. if YES to #2, are the bluetooth mice better in the 2013 and 2014 models..?
4. has anyone else had / experienced this problem in the Xterra?

.. and lastly, my wife's 2013 Murano has a very similar issue: at highway speeds, it's sometimes impossible to hear what she says. I checked online for documented issues or fixes on the Murano but came out totally empty-handed, so any advice on that front would be massively appreciated. Her model has the LED light when the bluetooth mic is active - but it also has a full sunroof right next to where the mic is positioned, so I don't think the idea of packing empty space with insulation would apply...
minidisco
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Xterra OFFROAD
Year: 2010
Tim's: Iced Cap, biggest size

Re: Problems with bluetooth mic

Post by minidisco »

Am I the only one with this issue..?
avacado
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Frontier SE Crew
Year: 2004
Tim's: XL 2x2

Post by avacado »

My CB mic hangs off my rear view mirror. I ain't got no blue teeth, but I gots a couple'uh grey ones.....
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Maybe Morpheus has seen this and might know of a TSB.

The only solution I would think would work is to replace the piece with another OEM piece...maybe the replacement is revamped to correct the problem.

I gather this is no longer under warranty?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

No TSB's

from the FSM re: sound quality:

Sound Quality Concerns
If a customer concern related to “poor sound quality” in the vehicle and/or “land” side (other end of the call) is verified:
1. Have the customer lower the in-vehicle phone volume by using the audio system volume control during the call.
NOTE: Lowering the in-vehicle phone volume improves noise canceling performance.
2. If the vehicle is equipped with a premium Navigation system,* adjust the outgoing call volume to a level that is suitable for the customer’s voice.
a. Press the SETTING button on the control panel.
b. Select Volumes & Beeps.
c. Adjust the Outgoing Call volume to the customer’s preference.
 If extremely loud talker, set to level 1 (-).
 If moderately loud talker, set to level 2.
 If normal loud talker, set to level 3.
 If moderately quiet talker, set to level 4.
 If quiet talker, set to level 5 (+).

Customer Information
Inform the customer that additional information can be found at the following website:
http://nissan.ca/vehicles/ms/bluetooth/en/default.aspx
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676