2000-2003 PATHFINDER PROBLEMS

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
ScottS75
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: 04 Pathfinder Chinoo
Year: 2004
Tim's: iced capp

Post by ScottS75 »

Good afternoon All,

This weekend I'm FINALLY pulling the trigger and going out to view a few 2000-2003 Pathfinders and hopefully I'm coming home with one. My g/f's Cavalier is getting too small to haul the kids around and I've wanted a Pathfinder since I first saw one as a kid. I would like to know the known problems with the 2000-2003 Pathfinder so I can keep an eye out when AI'm looking. Also what is your advise regard these years of Pathfinder?

Thanks, Happy motoring,

Scott
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Re: 2000-2003 PATHFINDER PROBLEMS

Post by Adam »

The 2001+ ones have the VQ35 motor which has more power but they have known oil burning problems, but it seems that not all of them are affected. Also make sure there is no rust or the strut tower recall has been done. A 2000 would have the VG33 and they are pretty much bullet proof motors, just make sure the timing belt changes are up to date. Other than that it is the standard used vehicle stuff.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

If my truck were to blow up today I'd be looking for the same vintage pathfinders too. I really like the look of those models. As far as I know like it's been stated before make sure the front strut towers are sound. I don't know who's qualified to look at that and it might be a "Nissan" mechanic thing only. Apparently there know to rot through. A krown application from the previous owner should have helped stopes this. Look for a rustproofing job from the previous owner. I read somewhere about the 3.5L losing a screw on the throttle body and entering the engine. Not sure If this is as easy as putting some loctight on the screw or what?? The rear panhard bar bushings along with rear arm bushings wear and can cause a violent wobble at highway speeds. I've seen that myself and it looks scary. I don't know if you can just look at the bushings and say there cooked or not, but I had Simon or Pezzy help me diognose that problem in the past on a friends 96-97 pathy. Good luck. There was a clean one at St.Clair Nissan a few months back and I seen another clean looking one at Airport Nissan which may have been the same truck, just jogged around from used lot to used lot. Post up some pics. I like em.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
ScottS75

Post by ScottS75 »

Thank you both very much. That's why I come to the guys who would know best. I know about the tranny cooler issues but I wasn't sure if there was anything else. Thank you for your input. I'm so eager to get out and have something I've wanted for probably 20+ years now.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

If I was buying one, I'd want the 3.5L engine. Night and day difference in power.
The power valve screw issue is for automatic transmission vehicles only. If only happened in a small number of engines, and can be avoided by some preventive measures.
The rad issue only affects 05+ models. Also avoidable with some modifications.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

I have done the power valve screw mod and I did a thorough how to post on NPORA. It is more involved than an oil change, but not that hard really.

FOr the '01-04:
The '01s had a couple of little issues, I can't recall what, something with the rear hatch struts I think.

This generation is unibody and they have fantastic ride quality, great fit and finish. The really handle like a car (a big car) instead of a truck, your gf/kids will like that. The automode 4x4 is recommended by me. You don't need to know how to drive a 4x4 well, just put it in auto. Handy.

Little things I can randomly think of, good or bad: the 6 disc CD players are junk (radio good), if you are much over 6' a sunroof will eat headroom you might need depending on seat position and you may find the seat bases a tad short on the leg.... and if you are a lot over 6' you may not fit well regardless of seat position. If you get the model (LEs only?) that has the memory seat positions this is nice when your gf is a notably different height than you are. The sunvisors are small and don't have the little pull outs - this is a pita if you drive east to work/west home this time of year and can't keep the sun out of your eyes. The LE models come with side impact air bags and leather seats which are nice to haves for the family situation. Any model with fender flares: check closely for rust. The rubber trim at the base of the door windows all rust inside and swell. The LE models have different rim centre bores which make adding manual hubs a problem. If there is a red tag on the rear diff it likely has a limited slip differential which is nice to have in the winter. No under-hood light - the dipstick tube is low making checking oil in low lighting annoying. The engine air filter housing is one of the best designs I have encountered. I change the air filter in about 30 seconds. The 2003/4 have an electronic throttle/drive by wire I believe making the throttle a little touchy vs. the '01/02s. The auto climate control works well. We did have to replace a blower fan module (~$200) but it is easy to replace yourself. On a test drive take note of any rear end sway at highway speeds. The "death wobble" as it is called is the rear axle trailing arm bushings getting worn out. Not an easy DIY as it requires a press. The rear brakes are pretty standard old school drums. Bleeding the lines requires awareness of the load control valve which changes braking due to cargo load. Compared to some vehicles the front brakes are a lot more work to replace as you need to disassembly the front hub/bearings. But very doable. The '03-04 have a small styling change on the steering wheel centre pc which I think looks much better. The OE exhaust system has a lovely set of heat shields that cover all the primary piping which is a good material - unfortunately the material used for the mounting clamps eventually rust away. After time the rear wiper can quit due to the grease drying up and the cold weather causing it to seize. It can be disassembly and regreased, I think I have write up here on that. Fuel economy will suck ass compared to a Cavalier but it not too far off the average for the segment of SUVs. A heavy foot makes a difference. One thing to note: premium fuel is recommended. A lot of people don't bother as it mainly affects performance. We used mid-grade without issue.

If you like these vehicles don't forget to shop for the Infinity QX4 which is an identical vehicle with a few more bells and whistles.

Let me know if you have questions. I have had an '02 pathfinder serve on family duty for ~7 years/~100k km. It has bee a great family vehicle. Rear facing child seats are a tight fit but most are. To that point the child seat LATCH system was a mid 2002 year release - our doesn't have it and wish it did.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
kdj
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chilkoot
Tim's: Tim who?

Post by kdj »

I just posted a thing about how much I love my 2003 Pathfinder but I guess it didn't go thourgh. After trying to read Bow Tied's post I think I'll just junk it because it sounds like it is junk and will explode soon.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Junk? Explode? You miss the parts where I said great family vehicle, handles well, praised the automode tcase? It DOES have some small issues, like every car does. Overall it is pretty solid. One needs to remember that newest one of that gen is a decade old now.
#MoreRon

kdj
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by kdj »

I my defence I have ADD shiney thing...disorder ...pie...What ? I love my 2003 and would recommend one to anyone, watch the rust and you should be fine. The front speakers cutting out are my biggest complaint. I wrote a thing about my praise for the new 2003 Chilkoot I have and it vanished so maybe I put it NPORA? Anyway watch for rust!! You the man Bow didn't mean anything, just disapointed my whole post didn't go through about my new truck. I'll read your whole post tomorrow when I find my glasses.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

No worries. I puked a lot if text into one post and did a less than stellar job of it since I'm tired, plus I've been spending too much time on kijiji. Maybe I'll clean it up tomorrow.

Sent from my shoe phone.
#MoreRon

ScottS75

Post by ScottS75 »

Yeah but it is VERY useful information. Thank you all for the great info that I will take with me to look for this weekend. Hopefully I'm posting Monday with pics of my new truck.
kdj
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by kdj »

I don't know if it's a 3.5 problem but after I thought I'd checked everything before I bought the '03 I found out my oil pan is rusted out. It's not dripping yet but it's wet and needs to be replaced nexted oil change. There is a strut repair recall for the "98 to '04 as well as one for seat belts that don't retract and one for a gas tank vent or something. All free but check out around the struts, I had the drivers side strut of my '98 collapse which was surprise to say the least. When I bought the '98 it was full of rust and I got 4 years out of it. My '03 will last maybe 5 years before it's rotted out as well. But at $2995 with saftey and Etest that's still only $600 a year for a truck I really like. I pay almost twice that for insurance per year. Good luck shopping!
ScottS75

Post by ScottS75 »

So I picked up the 04 from Airport Nissan today. Pictures to come after I get it home on Monday. Need a set of tires though to pass safety. I was thinking about BFG AT T/A's but on the way home I was talking to a guy with a Xterra with them and he recommended against that as the truck didn't have enough weight for these tires. Any opinions or other option recommendations? I'll post pics of my new toy.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Scott
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

The bfg at would be fine on there. What size you want?
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

The General Grabber AT2 may be available in a lower load rating. They are a very comparable tire.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

Nice stuff man!
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 2001
Tim's: Regular

Post by rmarles »

I'm running the Grabber AT2s on my '01 and they're awesome. The only downside is they pick up and fling rocks when on a gravel road. I would think that's true of pretty much any comparable tire though.

Congrats on the purchase!
There's a Simpson's quote for that.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Remember the battery we replaced on my truck on that AW run? Well it finally died. New one going on this afternoon.

Sent from my iThingy.
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Warranty? Mine is dated 2009 and still works great. Which is surprising because normally batteries don't last at all for me.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

I would have to check Facebook timeline but I think it's at least 6 years. Maybe 7.

Sent from my iThingy.