What ANNOYS you about your Nissan?

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: What ANNOYS you about your Nissan?

Post by Miner »

Added Annoyances:

- Cabs that leak;
- CV shafts that pop out of front diffs;
- Rear diffs that leak, and POP;
- Squeaky seats;
- Products that continue to be sold well beyond their life-cycle, and
- No information on the 2016s!

If Nissan doesn't fully disclose the details on the 2016 Titan XD, and the non XD, including all options and pricing soon I'm buying a 2015 F-150. I'm done waiting for the truck that should have been released five years ago.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Miner

Post by Miner »

One more, the VK56 ruins everything. Every time I drive a new vehicle that's nicer, more comfortable, with better features and amenities, etc, etc, it's immediately ruined when I press on the accelerator. No production gas V8 or turbo V6 compares, and its about the only attribute I'm not willing to give up. Well the VK56 and that I haven't made a vehicle payment for 5 years.

Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Have you driven something with the GM 6.0L? And you are comparing everything to a stock 5.6VK or yours with mods? I think there are some engines out there that will really wake up with some basic mods and a tune. I don't know much about the full size GM trucks, but the 6.0L in the TBSS is a go machine from all I have read. Ya, I know, not a GM fan - don't blame you, they have a lot of work to do to win back trust...just sayin. The only 5.6 I have driven has been in an '08 Pathy. Quick, powerful, (5 speed auto helped) faster than the 5.3 I have now, but I wasn't blown away. Could be detuned for the pathy, don't know.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Oh. maybe they don't offer the 6.0L anymore? Wait, I think so but maybe only in the 2500/3500....
I wonder what the 6.2L is like?
#MoreRon

the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

All the stalkers I get. I'm getting tired of it.
Miner

Post by Miner »

Bow_Tied wrote:Have you driven something with the GM 6.0L? And you are comparing everything to a stock 5.6VK or yours with mods? I think there are some engines out there that will really wake up with some basic mods and a tune. I don't know much about the full size GM trucks, but the 6.0L in the TBSS is a go machine from all I have read. Ya, I know, not a GM fan - don't blame you, they have a lot of work to do to win back trust...just sayin. The only 5.6 I have driven has been in an '08 Pathy. Quick, powerful, (5 speed auto helped) faster than the 5.3 I have now, but I wasn't blown away. Could be detuned for the pathy, don't know.
The 6.0L in the SS, MAX and Denali 1500s (370-380 ft.lbs) and the 6.0L in the 2500/3500s (360-380 ft.lbs) are all hampered by their transmissions and other than the SS fail to impress me. The SS Trail Blazer has the same motor but the package isn't really comparable and it was impressive. The 1500s are not performers until they've been woken up a bit, or a lot as the aftermarket can do anything with a GM V8. I don't think I've met anyone impressed with the 6.0L in a 2500/3500. The torque at 360-380 ft.lbs is just not impressive compared to the smaller VK56 379-393 ft.lbs, which is at a slightly lower rpm.

You're right though, I am comparing everything to my motor with external mods and tuned. When I tow with a Ford 6.2 V8 (405 ft.lbs) I appreciate the 6-speed transmission, and miss the torque and "pulling power" of my 5.6. When I drive a Ford 5.0 V8 (380-387 ft.lbs) I'm impressed by how easily it revs but the 2011-2014 needed to rev to do anything. The 2015 felt better in a test drive, this may be because it makes more torque (7 ft.lbs) sooner (400 rpm) or because it weighs less. An intake and exhaust might be all the 2015 needs... The 3.5 EcoBoost (420 ft.lbs) is a different beast. I'd put my 5.6 up against a stock EcoBoost, and I doubt one with similar gearing and tires better it. However my 5.6 is reliable, which can't be said for the 2011-2012 EcoBoost, and I'm weary of the 2012-2013. I hope the 2015-up is good...I may buy one.

"Not a GM fan" well yes...and no. I think I weigh faults heavier than strengths, which for a lot of years doesn't balance the scale in GM's favor. Looking around me I'd say GM is loosing market share in every segment. Nissan says they're growing, but I have many concerns with them. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of any manufacturer right now.

I do believe the Pathfinder V8 (388 ft.lbs) is tuned differently, the axle ratio and the heft of the vehicle come into play as well.
Bow_Tied wrote:Oh. maybe they don't offer the 6.0L anymore? Wait, I think so but maybe only in the 2500/3500....
I wonder what the 6.2L is like?
The 6.2L (460 ft.lbs) looks impressive with reasonable fuel economy. I haven't had a chance to try one, and unfortunately GM only offers them on premium ($) models...because only rich people go fast or tow heavy. I'm also concerned that it isn't meant for high load applications.

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Sounds like you have done a lot of research. You didn't mention Ram, I presume for good reason.

FWIW, I wish I could have gotten a full size, it is limiting the size of hardbody travel trailer I can shop for.
#MoreRon

Miner

Post by Miner »

If we sell the travel trailer I can look at a RAM. RAM 1500s just don't have the payload capacity to be useful, and the payloads go down drastically as the option/trim level goes up. The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel would be a great option, but its maximum towing (8350-8750 lbs) is less than the V8 and it suffers from low payload (859-1234 lbs) as well. RAM has some nice reference tools, but they provide conflicting numbers:
I regularly look at 2500/3500 RAMs, but I can't justify the price of any 3/4 ton or 1 ton when a 1/2 ton can do the job. Also test drove the F-250 and level of equipment, performance and "moderness" can't be compared to a 2015 1/2 ton truck.

Even if we sell the travel trailer, or go smaller, it would be hard to purchase a less capable truck. The main reason being that the next trailer will likely be just as heavy.

Miner

Post by Miner »

The RAM weight argument, using numbers from the towing guide link above.

Looking at Crew Cab 6'4" (not 6.5", only 6'4") 4x4 with premium options selected the highest rated is the Tradesmen with 5.7L and 3.92: 1452 lbs payload, and 10100 lbs towing. 10100 lbs trailer with minimum 10% tongue weight is 1010 lbs, 150 lbs driver is included in the vehicle but none of us weight 150 lbs so lets call that the wife, 200 lbs for you, and its a crew cab so 100 lbs each for remaining front seat and each back seat. So 1010 + 150 - 150 + 200 + 4(100) = 1610 lbs. So 158 lbs over without any bags, gear, stuff in the bed... This isn't a surprise you can't have a full truck and a fully loaded hitch. So what can you have with a fully loaded 1010 lbs hitch, 442 lbs, which is you 200 lbs another 200 lbs for kids and 42 lbs for your wife's purse. That sounds okay except for two things: the bed is completely empty, and only companies buy Tradesmen. You can also not use all of your towing capacity with a lighter trailer.

Move up to the Larimine Long Horn 5.7L 3.92 1077 lbs payload, 9750 lbs towing. 975 lbs hitch weight leaves 102 lbs, so your wife and one kid but you and the other kid stay at home. Look at it the other way with you the wife and 200 lbs of kids in the truck what could you tow? 1077 - 200 - 200 = 677 lbs. 677 lbs hitch weight isn't much, 6777 lbs trailer. Toss 50 lbs of fire wood, 50 lbs of groceries, and 50 lbs of "pop" in the bed and the trailers now maxed at 5270 lbs. Go for a weekend with the boys at four times 200 minus the allowed 150 for the driver, add in the groceries, wood and pops...2770 lbs.

A Larimine Longhorn Ecodiesel has a 859 lbs payload...you, wife, kids, groceries, wood, pop and you massive 3090 lbs trailer.

If your towing you really need to buy what works for you. Hauling stuff isn't bad, its usually heavy but there's only one or two people in the cab and the beds empty. Family camping is heavy; the seats are full, the beds full and the hitch is loaded. Realistically you need a payload that can handle 10%-20% of the trailer weight, passenger weight (include room for growth), and whatever you throw in the bed. For our needs that's 1350 lbs plus the gear I keep in the truck, and plus whatever gets tossed into the back of the truck....1550-1850 lbs is what I think we need.

Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Truck shopping; the engineer way!
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Truck shopping; the engineer way!
it's the only proper/safe way though.

Another factor that should also be considered is the RAGWC, rear axle gross weight capacity. My owner's manual suggests that tongue weights acts like a lever applying up to 1.5x its weight on the rear axle. One shouldn't exceed the GVWR, GCVWR, RAGWR, max trailer weight, or max tongue weight while consider cargo and passengers. It's a bit of a calculation but one that keeps you and others safe.
#MoreRon

Miner

Post by Miner »

Generally --- Tire Rating > Axle Rating > Vehicle Rating --- So If you stay within the Vehicle Rating you should be okay. I can see unbalanced load scenarios where the axle rating could be violated before the vehicle weight rating, especially with a 1.5x factor.

Good point.

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

I think this is why it's important to minimize the length of the hitch drawbar.

Probably but I doubt it.
#MoreRon

Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

After reading this I'm fairly certain I am over every limit for my vehicle every time I pull something :squeam:

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Miner

Post by Miner »

Not sure if I've mentioned this one - Lack of Automatic Headlights. The 2001 Maxima has them, the 2005 Titan does not.

Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

As car as I can tell, the '05 Titan had the option for automatic headlights in 2005 on the LE trim
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Miner

Post by Miner »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:As car as I can tell, the '05 Titan had the option for automatic headlights in 2005 on the LE trim
Yeah not on the SE, which annoys me.

Oldyeller
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: Medium Black

Post by Oldyeller »

Mine is a first gen 5 speed X. Acceleration is similar to a cement truck! Not complaining, just took some getting used to.
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Try driving a 1st gen 3.0 pathfinder automatic. I'm so used to it that I just leave early for everything and any other car feels like a race car.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Oldyeller
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: Medium Black

Post by Oldyeller »

adamzan wrote:Try driving a 1st gen 3.0 pathfinder automatic. I'm so used to it that I just leave early for everything and any other car feels like a race car.
Till it snows :teeth: