What's your first vehicle?

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
rcafcoburn
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4X
Year: 2015
Tim's: Coffee w/a shot of milk

What's your first vehicle?

Post by rcafcoburn »

What was your first car/truck?
Is there a story behind it?

Share!

My first car was supposed to be a 1995 Camaro in teal blue, but it was beyond repair so we sold it.
Ended up leasing a 2013 VW Jetta in Grey. Good car but boooooring! Gave it back and got my lovely Xterra :happydance:
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: What's your first vehicle?

Post by Miner »

92 F-150 5.0l Reg Cab RWD - Nickname 'Baby Blue'. It was one of my stepfather's company trucks and I was lent it for the winter.

01 Ranger Edge 3.0l Reg Cab RWD. Also a company truck, however this one was bought for me.

I will forever appreciate that my stepfather put, and kept, me in a truck.
Last edited by Miner on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

First truck I owned was a '73 gmc pickup...never got it on the road. First truck I owned and drove on the road was a $1500 used hydro dodge pickup...written off exactly one year after buying it and insurance gave me $3000, so I bought two more from hydro.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Incognito27
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: Donut , Hot Chocolate

Post by Incognito27 »

First vehicle , 1992 Chevy Cavalier , Totaled it , got a 94 Cavalier , traded that in for a 91 Eagle talon , Did a boo boo with timing and blew the engine , then the tranny after that . Then a 1989 Shelby Edition Dodge dakota 4x4 , 1989 Insuzi I-Mark , then a Chevy lumina Van , then a 2001 Ford Focus , 2003 Ford focus , 2013 Kia forte Koup SX-R , 2001 Dodge dakota sport , and finally 2015 Nissan Xterra S

Wow thats alot of cars lol
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

68 Volkswagen bug.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

1971 Chevelle Malibu 350/350

Then:
'69 Chevelle SS396
'85 Parisienne Safari Wagon
'85 Cavalier
'83 Parisienne
'91 Jimmy
'99 Jimmy
'02 Pathfinder
'05 Jimmy ZR2
'06 Envoy Denali
'16 Pagani Huayra (I wish)
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I drove my parents 1990 Mazda 626 (hatch) when I got my G2 in highschool and had it as my every day car when I went to college and worked. Started car shopping one spring since I knew my sister was starting college that fall, and it was only fair to pass her the 626 rather then make her buy a car. I initially wanted a truck, looked an S-10 sport, an Izusu Rodeo, but wasn't really sure what I wanted. My parents suggested I get a car, something that would be more fuel efficient for all the driving I do (later I found out he felt bad, thinking they MADE me get a car). I flipped though the AutoTrader and checked off some Mazda's. I was looking at them since I loved my parents 626 and it was a solid car, Mx-6's, and there was an Mx-3 not far from school and where I worked. 109'000kms, one owner, v6, $4500. Went to see it, but one "problem", it was stick, and I've never touched stick in my life, but I did WANT a manual, but how do you test drive a car you can't drive? I went to take a look at it, and the owner actually offered and taught me how to drive stick. I went back later with my dad to test drive it, and picked it up for $4300.

A year later, went to e-test, and it failed, and plus the water pump started to leak. Not really expecting that on a car with barely over 100'000kms. I decided then to take out a loan, and swap out the 130hp 1.8L V6 for a 2.5L, 200hp V6 from Japan. Bolts in as stock, kept the wiring harness and trans, even the stock airbox and exhaust at first, just needed to upgrade the clutch and ECU, I put in stiffer MazdaSpeed mounts while I was at it. Did the water pump of course and new belts. It totally changed the car. Eventually I got an intake and exhaust done, and did the suspension, and a body kit. Put a CarPC with a 15" touchscreen. It was one hell of a project and a fun car. I could do any speed or acceleration that I wanted and would never return under 30mpg. I spent many Thursdays at Cayuga drag racing, autocrossed when I could, and even did car shows and came home with a few trophies. She had many mods and many rare parts. Sadly I have no good pics with the leather interior. What ended up happening is that the outer sheathing of the throttle cable cracked and tightened around the cable, causing the engine to bounce off the rev limiter many times. This is when I decided to get my Xterra. When pulling out the motor, I found she had started to rust in other places and through the wheel well, and decided to part her out. It's with that money that I bought the Rx-8. I had her for 9 years, and was retired with 245'000kms on her. I do miss that car.

So ya, I've only ever owned 3 cars in my life, and I still own #2 and #3, and even technically #4, but that one never hit the road under it's own power ;)

1) 1992 Mazda Mx-3 GS MT
2) 2003 Nissan Xterra SE/SC MT
3) 2004 Mazda Rx-8 GT MT
4) 2001 Nissan Frontier SE SB/CC AT

Can't I just not write a friggin' story?...
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

I have probably had over 15 vehicles registered in my name since I got my licence.

The first vehicle I registered in my name was a mid 70's 2-door Chevelle Malibu...front and rear bench seats...sat 8 comfortably when you were a teen.

Since this is a truck site, first truck registered in my name...1995 lifted 4-door GMC Jimmy on 33's. After that I went back to cars for a bit, then realised I could have both cars and trucks, so I had:
- 1988 Ford Bronco II
- 1994 Nissan Pathfinder
- 2000 Nissan Xterra XE
- 1985 Toyota Pickup SR5 (current)
- 2000 Jeep TJ (current)
- 2000 Nissan Xterra SE (current)

Yes, three trucks currently registered to me, plus an 11 Scion tC and an 89 Honda CB1, and the wife has a car in her name too. Parking is at a premium at my place.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

First vehicle: 1993 Pathfinder SE. My dad gave it to me in highschool. The frame broke a few months after driving it, and it sat at my buddies place for a few years before I parted it out and scrapped it.

And then the madness began:

1993 Pontiac Grand AM
1995 Pathfinder X4 (2 I bought for parts with NPORA members)
1994 Pathfinder SE (currently own)
2002 Xterra SE SC (currently own)
2004 VW Golf 2.0 (currently own)

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Post by Drizit »

First car I owned was a chevett of some year... Probably 80s. Never drove it on the road due to not having a driver's license at the time. My mother finally gave up on me getting one and sold it.

First car I drove as an 84 gas jetta with an NA diesel swapped in.... Did 0 to 60 in 15min but it got me around. Wrote it off on the back of an Explorer and had to climb out the sunroof as the drivers door was jammed shut by the fender, and the passanger door was locked (didn't figure that one out till after)

Next was an 84 diesel Nissan king cab. You could pull the key out without turning off the ignition, but you could also turn off the ignition and the motor kept running until you pulled a coat hanger that ran along side the trans tunnel. ;) must have been a transition year as some things said Nissan and some said Datson.

See I'm legit, I once owned a Nissan truck... Even if it was 2wd.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

1984 Hyundai Pony
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

^^OMG...those things survive maybe one Canadian winter...lol
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

the first car I drove was a 1989 Toyota Corolla. It was mighty, with it's 3 speed automatic. Nothing but brakes and oil changes on that one. This isn't mine, but it looked exactly the same.

"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

1990 Mazduh B2200. My beloved putt putt.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

First vehicle I bought as my own vehicle was a 1984 Toyota Corolla SR5 2 door. Rear wheel drive 2 door go-Kart :D.

Paid $450 for it, was littered with rust and needed a few things to get past the safety, but I managed. Had it on the road for about 18 months, then decided to slide sideways into a guardrail trying to drift around a corner in the rain on bald summer tires. I slid too far to one side, over-corrected which kicked the tail around and slid me sideway into the guardrail, facing the opposite direction.

I wasn't hurt or anything like that, but the frame was bent because I hit the rear quarter panel first, and everything shifted from there. Still managed to drive it home though... ;)

After that, I replaced it with a sensible 1995 4 door Honda Civic LE. 1.5L sowing machine motor, had no guts, but it got me around. Ended up in an accident in that one as well. Icy conditions on the highway, lost control, and hit the median doing about 80kph. Again, no one was hurt, but the vehicle was totalled.

Replaced that with my first Nissan, a 2002 Sentra seR Spec V, which quickly became too small for hauling around hockey gear for my son, so we traded that in for the 2002 Nissa Xterra SE/SC that I still own.

We purchased a 2003 Maxima as a second vehicle, which after a couple of years became a parts vehicle for Miner.

Currently driving a 2015 Jeep Cherokee, while the Xterra sits in the driveway waiting for me to make up my mind on what I want to do with it...

;)
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4x
Tim's: Tea

Post by PhullD »

First car was at 18. Was a 1989 Firebird 5.0. I put the Trans Am ground effects and hood on it with fresh paint, headers and a sound system. Winter car was 94 Toyota Tercel 5spd.

Had the Firebird for 5 years, from 144km to 278km and I pounded the crap out of it (to give you an idea I replaced the tranny mount twice which tore during high torque turns). Bullet proof most reliable car under $2500 I know of. Emission Nazis pissed me off tightening the restrictions by 11% in 5 years.

After 5 years I bought a 1988 Trans Am 5.0 to escape this emissions madness. They just happen to change it that year, a month after purchase. Only '87 and older were now exempt after 20 yrs, 1988 and up still need e-test every two years FML!!!

Last year of ownership (knowing I was selling it) I ran headers to straight pipe with NO cats.

This was followed by a 2002 z06 Corvette 6spd, and 2015 Xterra Pro 4x 6spd, both currently owned.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Good post question! I can't remember all the years of the vehicles any more. Or even exact model numbers - for some cars it doesn't matter. When it does, the year is mentioned.

First vehicle was a Honda Civic. 1500S. Probably a 1985 or so which I bought around 1990. In grey. I had it for about 6 hours when the lady next door to the parent's house backed into the driver side. I think I cried. Great car. But I never maintained it and sold it when the transmission was starting to go.

Next vehicle was a VW Sirocco. Wow that car was fast. Had the square lights, not the round. 1988 (or so) Wolfsburg edition. Loved it. Drove it for about 4 years. then gave it to a friend with a kid up north who had no car. It lived on for many years.

In replacement I bought a Datsun 4x4 pickup. Piece of poop truck, but I loved it. Had external roll bar, lights... We'd drive it up and down the beaches in Toronto. I cut the roof out and used a canvas top fitted with velcro for the moon roof effect. The truck caught on fire one day during a snow storm. Something with the transfer case went sideways. I abandoned it near Eglinton and Marley in a parking lot, never to be seen or heard from again. Not surprising in that 'hood.

Next truck was Chevy P/U stepside. About a 1995. Had payments on it, and the economy went sideways, so I sold it after about a year. Never really liked it anyways.

After that was a SAAB 900s. And a Ford Ranger P/U. Both around 1990 vehicles. During this time I really got into bikes, and rode around on a 1986 Harley Sportser for a bit, eventually graduating to a 1951 Panhead with a suicide clutch. I swapped the Pan for a Shovel. Ran of a magneto. Springer front end. Those were great days. Drove that Suicide to Manhattan. Had to give up on it though. A lot of maintenance, and the rigid frame with the springer front end did my back in.

Also drove a few Freightliners during this time. And Peterbuilts. But they weren't mine.

Had a Chevy Canyon P/U for a bit. Bought it new, I guess around 2004. It was OK. Never had a new vehicle, so that was fun. And at the same time managed to drive around in a VW Jetta VR6. it was a 2000 or so. Wow. talk about a nice, quick car. The ex took both of them. I had a Greavette at this time too - a wooden Muskoka boat. 1957. It finally died a few years ago, but we had a lot of good times in that boat. And some scary - we weren't too far away from the Nimrod when it went down in 1995 at the Toronto air show.

Then we moved on to the Jeep. 1989 YJ with a Chevy small block 350 in it. It still resides here at the house, but the frame is done...

Last vehicle I bought was the Xterra. With 400,000 on it it still goes strong.

Scott
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

That's a story. How in the world did you fit in a SAAB 900?
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Miner wrote:That's a story. How in the world did you fit in a SAAB 900?
Or a 1985 Civic?
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Pre growth spurt?
Jayman wrote:First vehicle I bought as my own vehicle was a 1984 Toyota Corolla SR5 2 door. Rear wheel drive 2 door go-Kart :D.
Those have a huge following and are in huge demand. Awesome car!
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged