2000 Xterra - No Start Condition

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: 2000 Xterra - No Start Condition

Post by Bow_Tied »

Interesting - if the computer is trying to advance it a set amount from base, then you could find some partial load detonation in which case back to 10... except the knock sensor would then tell the computer to retard the timing so you might notice. Not sure how you tell.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Don't you want to advance the timing as much as you can without knocking. Would be good to have an app that can tell you how much advance you have, how much the computer is adding and if it sensing any knock.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

Considering the knock sensors are known to fail pretty regularly on the VG33's, and generally they don't do a lot on the N/A models, I wouldn't rely on it to adjust a lot of timing. As for listening for knock, I hear them all the time, along with squeaks, rattles and bangs. I can actually have a conversation now that I'm not running TSLs any more, but it's still far from quiet.

I am really just concerned with stumble, lack of power, bad response, etc.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Not sure if it was my imagination, but cold start-ups aren't as smooth as before, or what I would expect. Today, it was very evident that it didn't like something. I let it warm up, changed the timing to 10, and it seems to drive more like it did before. I also bumped up the idle with the TPS unplugged.

When I first got it, the idle was ridiculously high...I think at operating temp, it was 1700-1800 rpm. I adjusted the IACV and brought it down to 725-750. With the TPS unplugged, I noticed it was 525-550, so I bumped it up to 725-750 with the TPS unplugged, and it is the same with TPS plugged in; figured it couldn't hurt.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

There is some weird procedure in the fsm for setting the idle. I know basically the computer should control it if everything is set right, sounds like you got it there.

crappy thing is now it is so cold out here that getting it to stay at operating temp while fooling with it is hard without a garage.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I should note that there was a 10hp bump from the 00-01 to the 02-04's, not sure if the timing was part of that extra gain.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

I think that will be part of the mystery, as 00 was the only year @15, 01-04 was @10. Possibly 01 had the extra hp as well to coincide with the timing, and just wasn't marketed that way.