Powerless Door Locks

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Powerless Door Locks

Post by sandor »

2000 Xterra...all doors/hatch used to lock/unlock collectively through the key cylinders, door lock switches and power door lock toggle switches as designed. Now, all I get is a clicking sound from a relay; none of the doors lock/unlock collectively. Each door must be locked individually by key or individual door switch.

Any id'rs? Under-hood and in-cabin fuses visually look ok, and everything else on those circuits work. The circuit breaker also checks out ok. Fried smart entrance control unit?

It's nice to have power door locks, but not essential, so if no-one knows of a quick fix to a known issue, I just have another switch in the truck that does nothing...it's not the first one.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Re: Powerless Door Locks

Post by Snafu »

Open and close all the doors/hatch to make sure they are closed properly then try the fob and lock/unlock button inside the cab. It could be one of the doors is not quite closed. I seem to recall having this puzzle a while back.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Thanks for the tip.

I've opened and closed all doors many times since they quit. The courtesy light comes on when doors are opened, and goes off when closed, so the door switches work. I don't have a fob, so I used the key cylinders to lock/unlock all doors, and activate/deactivate the security. Now the only thing the key does is activate/deactivate security (drivers door only), and opens a single door.
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

I have never used the key myself so I am not sure.
Does the lock/unlock button on the armrest work on the locks?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Check the door lock timer. On older Nissan's it would fail causing the locks to open/close randomly, especially with lower temperatures outside. Not sure if the X is the same way but the daytime light modules fail just as bad. It was the solder joints that crack.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Snafu wrote:I have never used the key myself so I am not sure.
Does the lock/unlock button on the armrest work on the locks?
No sir...that's what I usually use, so that is how I first noticed the issue. Power locks are now manual locks in all regards.
Adam wrote:Check the door lock timer. On older Nissan's it would fail causing the locks to open/close randomly, especially with lower temperatures outside. Not sure if the X is the same way but the daytime light modules fail just as bad. It was the solder joints that crack.
Door lock timer? Did you just make that up? :) Where would such timer be located? And do the interior lights use the same timer? The interior lights and the security LED still stay on for 30 secs after the doors are closed (security LED flashes after 30 sec).
Adam

Post by Adam »

Didn't make that up, but I can see why. It sounds ridiculous. Saw a thread on clubxterra where a guy had the same issue. Ended up being an underhood fuse. May want to double check them all again? Not sure how you'd test the SECU but a used one wouldn't be hard to track down I would think.

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showth ... 799&page=2

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Thanks Adam :thumbup: ...if it is indeed a timer, it must be part of the "smart entrance control unit". The FSM has no mention of it in the system description, wiring diagrams or trouble diagnosis section of Power Door Locks.

I tested the under-hood fuse for continuity, and it was good...plus it is the same 40A fuse for the power windows, and those work.

Looks like no one has a quick fix for this, so it's probably either the control box or the actuators...either way, I am too lazy to fix it on a trail truck...manual door locks it is.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

SECU sits under the dash on the drivers side, to the left side, and is a white box. You can find them for cheap. I blew out the rear defrost circuit on mine and replaced it a few years ago (it didn't like triggering a relay for my heated mirrors apparently). So if I can find it, I can send you it if you don't want rear defrost instead, lol
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Adam

Post by Adam »

Who knows, maybe it will be one of those things that fixes itself, lol.

sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Rear Defrost? Yeah, only 3 lines actually work on mine, so if the window is fogged up, by using the defrost, I get a better idea of what is behind me, but not exactly what you would call a clear view.

I know where the SECU is, and there are an abundance of WD22s in the local boneyard, so I can always pick one up later when it's warmer out, and am curious as to what's new in the yard.

Thanks Adam.